The Jets Need a real RB, period.

The Gun Of Bavaria

Today's game couldn't have said any clearer if the offense held up a giant sign and took out a front page add in the NY Times.

This team needs an actual, real life, credible running back. Someone capablke of making plays without great blocking at times. Someone that can run people over when needed. Someone that doesn't studder step through the hole.

The Jets running game is a vast liability to an offense which is otherwise looking effective in the air.

Chad is back and I'm eating crow. The guy needs a real running game and a feared RB to take some of the heat off the passing game.

It isn't Barlow, Blaylock or Washington. The Jets need a real RB threat.

Today's game couldn't have said any clearer if the offense held up a giant sign and took out a front page add in the NY Times.

This team needs an actual, real life, credible running back. Someone capablke of making plays without great blocking at times. Someone that can run people over when needed. Someone that doesn't studder step through the hole.

The Jets running game is a vast liability to an offense which is otherwise looking effective in the air.

Chad is back and I'm eating crow. The guy needs a real running game and a feared RB to take some of the heat off the passing game.

Guns, I hated when you pissed on Pennington while he was hurt or muffled by a crap coaching staff.

Kudos to you for the recognition to him today.

This team is going in the right direction.

TX, didn't you make a promise if Penny laid 300yds on the Pats today?

Prepare for spin doctoring.

TX, didn't you make a promise if Penny laid 300yds on the Pats today?

Prepare for spin doctoring.

Dude, the Jets were friggn' down 24-0.

Of course PennyBoy was going to put up big numbers.

He still can't beat a top 10 defense however.;)

Take away those two long fluke TD's, and this game would have been a complete blowout.

I couldn't agree more.

Today was a wake up call. This is going to be a long and at times very frustrating season but there is also alot of positive.

I think we are in better shape with CP than I thought but we definitely need a GO TO running back. Maybe Barlow will become that but right now it is so evident how to play us. There is no need to put 8 in the box with what the Jets are putting out there.

Take away those two long fluke TD's, and this game would have been a complete blowout.

yea and take away that late 1st half TD and its tied than, right?

Run blocking is way more important than having a "franchise" RB. There aren't very many RBs that can make things happen if their lines don't block for them, but there are plenty of RBs that can run behind good O-lines. I'd rather focus on our defense, what was our d-line doing all game? Our pass blocking also needs work, it didn't really start playing decent until the second half, and a lot of that was penny making throws while under pressure.

Against a good defense like NE, it is doubtful that even if we had a good RB that he'd show up. Martin barely did anything against top defenses when he was playing. LT got stuffed in big games towarads the end of last year. In the playoffs, the Steelers gave up on their run game pretty much and just went to the air, and they're one of the more dogged run teams during the regular season. We need to get better in other parts of the game, and stop whining about the run. NE won 3 SBs before they had a run game. We'll draft someone next year.

The running game will open up once we get Pete Kendall back

That and teams will have to respect Pennington and not crash the line, because he keeps piling up TDs and 300 yard performances. Keep doing this, and the running game will improve.

Oh yeah, and Blaylock is horrible. Absolutely horrible. Barlow showed tuff running, falling forward, etc etc. Start him vs the bills.

We will beat the bills.

he might not be able to throw for 300 vs a 10 ten D. the patsys arn't a top 10 D.

The running game will open up once we get Pete Kendall back

That and teams will have to respect Pennington and not crash the line, because he keeps piling up TDs and 300 yard performances. Keep doing this, and the running game will improve.

Oh yeah, and Blaylock is horrible. Absolutely horrible. Barlow showed tuff running, falling forward, etc etc. Start him vs the bills.

We will beat the bills.

We need a better RT. If we get a good RT I guarantee our committee with Barlow and Blaylock is good enough to force teams to take the run into account. RT and RG are usually the two most important positions for a run standpoint, and they happen to be our weakest O-line spots. Moore is solid, I just don't think Clement is any good.

Barlow is not nearly as bad as he looks, but he is much better than Blaylock. The issue lies with the line much more so than the RB. Seriously, Shawn Alexander and L Tomlinson would not be able to run behuind this line's blocking. The guard play is horrible right now, as is the RT Clement. Defenses have been in our backfield before the handoff exchange even takes place.

Yeah, and if you take away those fluke Patriot touchdown drives, the Jets won 17-3.

Own up, TX. Your schtick is not currently amusing. It's pathetic. And this, coming from someone who actually respects your knowledge of the game. You really don't show it with posts like these.

Jim Brown could have been are RB. It would not have mattered. The push was 2-3 yds in our backfield on almost every play

Jim Brown could have been are RB. It would not have mattered. The push was 2-3 yds in our backfield on almost every play

It's the job of the RB to break a tackle every once in a while. Blaylock was falling over his own linemen. For now, we should stick with Barlow or try Houston. None of them are any good, but Barlow is the lesser of 2 evils.

It really comes down to poor run blocking. The two rookies are stinking it up in the run game with the rest of them. They aren't doing much better in the pass game either. No running back would threaten 80+ yards with this offensive line. Kind of sucks we spent a 4th pick on a poor run blocker, but this was well known he was no Ogden.

I like the way Barlow runs, I think he will be fine if we could prentend to even block a little bit.

Kind of sucks we spent a 4th pick on a poor run blocker, but this was well known he was no Ogden.

I'm not willing to say he is a poor run blocker after 2 games in the NFL. Especially when he was lined up against Richard Seymour for most of his 2nd game. He did a real nice job pass blocking today, which I feel is more essential for a LT and especially for us, a team that has had problems keeping its QB healthy and on his feet. With Barlow being more of an inside runner, the running game will be moreso on the shoulders of the interior line. As Mangold improves and when Kendall comes back, we might start to have more success. It will be a work in progress, for sure.

Barlow will be decent. Nothing great, but decent. Hopefully, when Kendell and Teague come back things will start looking up. RT looks weak. Barlow has been here for weeks and still isn't ready, a "franchise" back probably wouldn't be able to truly help us until after the bye.

Bingo

Keep in mind you had two rookies who never faced a Pats defense today and one other lineman (Katnik) who played in his first game last week. One of those rookies (Mangold) was making line calls against this defense - something that even Kevin Mawae had trouble with in the past. Add to that the "old man" Kendall being inactive - no help with the calls - and you get what you had today - a mediocre O Line performance. Do you think that there was a ton of New England playing with 4 guys with hands on the ground out there to study? No much, I'd say. I expect that experience will make this group much more effective going forward.

YES I agree, the line needs to get better. But you know what, that is a young line with a bright future. The fact is that Barlow & Blaylock are a short term fix to a long term problem. I'm not saying that if we had barry sanders he'd run for 200 yds a game, but the fact is that that this whle season is about next year. yes, 2006 is ALL about 2007. We have youth and promise on the OL, but we have none of that in the backfield. Yes, there's nothing we can do about it now so we have to make do with what we have, but come 2007, we gotta move to some youth and the future.

Gimme a friggin break. Pats didn't beat the Jets today. Jets beat themselves. Call the cliche police, but it's true. Take away the 10 yard punt and the 3rd and 20 holding and see what happens in that game. Jeeez.

Take away Ben Graham's fluke shank punt, and that game's goin to OT.

Archived