Belichick: shark is a cold fish

Smizzy

Belichick: shark is a cold fish

September 18, 2006

He didn't open his arms and invite an embrace after the game, or offer congratulations, or whisper an encouraging word, or even give a simple pat on the head. He just extended his right hand for a shake that was soggier than your cornflakes will be in five minutes.

That's the extent of the warmth Bill Belichick showed Eric Mangini, his former pupil. Treated him like he was just another coach, like it was just another game, like his was just another hand.

It was almost as if everything that preceded the handshake never happened. Like, when Belichick gave a chubby, hard-working kid a job that held slightly more responsibility than getting coffee back in 1995? Never happened. Like, when Belichick took him along to New England and they won Super Bowls together? Never happened. And, when Belichick made him a defensive coordinator, which enabled the kid to join the Jets as the NFL's youngest head coach? Really, did that ever happen?

All that history seemed to disappear quicker than a handshake that took place after the Patriots held off the Jets, 24-17, in the first meeting between mentor and pupil. It was the final sign that, to Belichick, Mangini is nothing more than another face on the other side of the field, trying to keep the Patriots from winning.

"I'm trying to do the best with my team," Belichick said later. "He's trying to do the best with his team."

Oh, and another thing. In the postgame news conference, which lasted about 20 minutes, Belichick never raised the subject of Mangini.

Actually, he never mentioned Mangini by name. Mangini was "him" and "he." Belichick refused to credit the other coach, as coaches often do, even when the Jets turned scrappy and erased a 24-0 .Patriots lead and transformed what appeared to be a wipeout into an interesting finish.

"They played hard," Belichick said. "We played better." And then this: "We have a lot of respect for the Jets and the talent they have." Not the coach they have.

The talent.

Which no one ever accused the Jets of having, until now.

Belichick's attitude was absurd, given what he has meant to Mangini's career, given that the Jets are hardly a threat to the Patriots, and given the history of the two men. And it goes beyond a forced handshake. .Belichick, according to rumors, did not want Mangini to take the Jets' job last spring. The two didn't speak much all summer, according to Mangini. When the Jets and Patriots took the field yesterday for pregame stretching, Belichick and Mangini kept their distance, never crossing midfield for a simple hello, never even exchanging an acknowledging nod.

Only one Patriots player was brave enough to sneak Mangini a handshake before kickoff, and you wonder if Kevin Faulk will have a job today for committing such an act of treason.

"We had a football game to play," Faulk said, "but I just wanted to tell him, 'Hey, good luck,' and that I'd talk to him .afterward."

On the subject of his apparent non-relationship with his former boss, Mangini has remained evasive and stoic. But he's human, of course, and this has to cause Mangini some discomfort. Forget that the Jets and Patriots are in the same division and will see each other twice a year. It's not the way you'd expect to be treated by your mentor, someone who made the dream of becoming an NFL head coach possible.

This sounds strikingly familiar to the wedge that came between Belichick and his own mentor, Bill Parcells, two head-strong and successful coaches who only recently began speaking again. It's so childish and almost funny how some football coaches put their healthy egos ahead of relationships.

Anyway, the Jets gave Mangini a measure of credibility yesterday with a second-half rally. Helped by two nifty runs after catches by Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, they came within a touchdown and likely caused Belichick's stomach to churn. If that didn't make Belichick uncomfortable, maybe the knowledge that he had to shake hands with Mangini did. And what did Mangini tell Belichick?

"Good game," Mangini said.

"But I didn't think it was mutual. I'd have to check the videotape."

Im not surprised.

Much ado about nothing.

What do you want? "Hey Eric, turn around and I will give you a reach around good buddy."

It is not like he gave Saban some tongue last year after their games. For however close they are, they are the enemy now.

This is reatrded. Belichick has never been a warm and fuzzy person so why you expect anything different from him is beyond me. Which brings me to my point. If you have read any of the books on the Patriots from the past few years, the person we see compared to the one the players sees are two different people. I am not saying Belichick is a tree hugging sap behind closed doors who hands out flowers, plays B-Ball or throwing barbecues. The players have said he is a tad more personable. For him.

I am pretty sure if Mangini, RAC, Saban, Weis, Ferentz, the gut at Fresno State won a title or a significant accomplishment. Belichick would call them in private and says congrats. The bottomline is Belichick could give two craps whether or not the author of this article thinks he should give little Eric a hug after a loss.

Much ado about nothing.

What do you want? "Hey Eric, turn around and I will give you a reach around good buddy."

It is not like he gave Saban some tongue last year after their games. For however close they are, they are the enemy now.

This is reatrded. Belichick has never been a warm and fuzzy person so why you expect anything different from him is beyond me. Which brings me to my point. If you have read any of the books on the Patriots from the past few years, the person we see compared to the one the players sees are two different people. I am not saying Belichick is a tree hugging sap behind closed doors who hands out flowers, plays B-Ball or throwing barbecues. The players have said he is a tad more personable. For him.

I am pretty sure if Mangini, RAC, Saban, Weis, Ferentz, the gut at Fresno State won a title or a significant accomplishment. Belichick would call them in private and says congrats. The bottomline is Belichick could give two craps whether or not the author of this article thinks he should give little Eric a hug after a loss.

No one is asking them to make out at the 50-yard line.

However, Belichick refusing to even say Mangini's name is a dick move. He's a grown man and he's acting like a pissed off high school girl whose boyfriend dumped her.

No one is asking them to make out at the 50-yard line.

However, Belichick refusing to even say Mangini's name is a dick move. He's a grown man and he's acting like a pissed off high school girl whose boyfriend dumped her.

Again, I think there are two things about this.

The first plays into the second. One, for lack of a better term, Mangini is the enemy.

Two, what has dogged Belichick for the better part of the past 2 decades? The large, no pun intended, shadow of Par$ells.

IMHO he is trying to prevent anything similar from happening with Mangini. He can praise Saban because Saban has cut his own path of success. Mangini cannot say the same thing yet. I think Belichick is distancing himself from Mangini so the same thing does not happen. He is trying to make it be Mangini's success. Not another Belichick protege success. Plus, he is a different person to his players and coaches then to the media. I think that has to be taken into account.

IMHO he is trying to prevent anything similar from happening with Mangini. He can praise Saban because Saban has cut his own path of success. Mangini cannot say the same thing yet. I think Belichick is distancing himself from Mangini so the same thing does not happen. He is trying to make it be Mangini's success. Not another Belichick protege success. Plus, he is a different person to his players and coaches then to the media. I think that has to be taken into account.

No offense. I like you. But that has to be the worst post ever. Not just here. But in the history of the internet. I would even say that it compares with the worst written statements of all time as well.

Holy crap that was pure rubbish.

Belly has a bug up his a$$ about the Jets. He didn't want to coach here and he left. He did very well obviously by leaving, that is good for him. Belly is a bully. Mangini didn't blink when he was bullied. Now Belly has his panties in a wad.

The stuff about the shadows? Cmon man. What a total reach.

No offense. I like you. But that has to be the worst post ever. Not just here. But in the history of the internet. I would even say that it compares with the worst written statements of all time as well.

Holy crap that was pure rubbish.

Belly has a bug up his a$$ about the Jets. He didn't want to coach here and he left. He did very well obviously by leaving, that is good for him. Belly is a bully. Mangini didn't blink when he was bullied. Now Belly has his panties in a wad.

The stuff about the shadows? Cmon man. What a total reach.

exactly, forget about the million he bilked from a very personable and honorable owner,,

BUT the fact he told mangini not to take a HC job, in his home area, in front of his family and after only a year as DC,, come on, that was a golden goose put in his lap, a once in a lifetime chance to go home a hero, and Belly said No,,

belly is quickly gettin a rep as a great coach but a real Turd as a Human being..

exactly, forget about the million he bilked from a very personable and honorable owner,,

BUT the fact he told mangini not to take a HC job, in his home area, in front of his family and after only a year as DC,, come on, that was a golden goose put in his lap, a once in a lifetime chance to go home a hero, and Belly said No,,

belly is quickly gettin a rep as a great coach but a real Turd as a Human being..

great football coach-horrible human being

It's the kindest thing he could do for Eric. Now there will be no question that the two of them are on the phone with each other every week and that somehow Belichick is taking young Mr. Mangini to the cleaners.

Plenty of time for swapping spit in the shower at BB's HOF induction ceremony.

It's the kindest thing he could do for Eric. Now there will be no question that the two of them are on the phone with each other every week and that somehow Belichick is taking young Mr. Mangini to the cleaners.

Plenty of time for swapping spit in the shower at Manginis HOF induction ceremony.

agree

You want d*cks? How 'bout the father/son combo sitting behind me at teh Jets defense:

"Break his leg!" "Break Brady's neck!" "Sever Dillon's spine." - classy stuff.

That's bullsh!t, this is about Bellicheck not about two idots you happened to be sitting near at the game. Now get over it and contribute to the discussion or f off and start a thread about the two jerkoffs you were sitting near.

That's bullsh!t, this is about Bellicheck not about two idots you happened to be sitting near at the game. Now get over it and contribute to the discussion or f off and start a thread about the two jerkoffs you were sitting near.

S-e-n-s-i-t-i-v-e

Tough sh*t, buster. It's football......not a lifetime movie. Belichick is being a "d*ck" to Mangini....whaaaa, whaaaa, whaaaa!

Get over yourself.

S-e-n-s-i-t-i-v-e

Tough sh*t, buster. It's football......not a lifetime movie. Belichick is being a "d*ck" to Mangini....whaaaa, whaaaa, whaaaa!

Get over yourself.

I assume that was your contribution to the thread. Wow, you actually took the time to stop sucking BB off to write that, I have been pleasured by your insight.

I assume that was your contribution to the thread. Wow, you actually took the time to stop sucking BB off to write that, I have been pleasured by your insight.

And your insight leaves me feeling stupid, truth be told.

Here's a thread crying about what a jerk Mangini is. There shoudl be no contribution to this thread because IT'S STUPID.

I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to the stadium yesterday. Bob Ryan was on, taking about how much Mumbles hates the Jets and despises Woody Johnson. Apparently, he thinks Johnson is the worst owner in sports and even said the Dolans are better owners and better human beings.

If Mangini had taken another HC job, all would have been well. But, he took the Jets job despite being ordered not to, so he's dead to that scumbag Mumbles.

**** you, Mumbles.

And your insight leaves me feeling stupid, truth be told.

Here's a thread crying about what a jerk Mangini is. There shoudl be no contribution to this thread because IT'S STUPID.

Garb this thread is about what a jerk Belly is. Mangini is the coach of the Jets. Now pick up your game or else I will have to limit your posting to the Lounge!

I was listening to ESPN radio on the way to the stadium yesterday. Bob Ryan was on, taking about how much Mumbles hates the Jets and despises Woody Johnson. Apparently, he thinks Johnson is the worst owner in sports and even said the Dolans are better owners and better human beings.

If Mangini had taken another HC job, all would have been well. But, he took the Jets job despite being ordered not to, so he's dead to that scumbag Mumbles.

**** you, Mumbles.

I wonder what kind of human being Sharon Shenocca's husband thinks Belly is?

Beli chick hates the NYJ b/c he has deep guilt about stealing $1M from them.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

he definitly had the chance to at least give the million to charity after it became a fact he was given the million as a good faith bonus to stay at end of year.

**** you, Mumbles.

That is it all in a nutshell. Still BB not only would not talk to Mangini during pregame, and gave a half hearted hand shake post game he also tried to set up a guy who worked his butt off for him for ten years. Saying the Jets are a very talented team and not mentioning the coach by name is just childish. Someday soon BB will get beat by mangini the way every pupil beats their mentor. Until then I hope he grows up. No wonder why his wife left him.

From what I understand - back when Mangini was interviewing - Mangini went to his "mentor" for some insight. At that time BB told Mangini he should NOT take the HC job with the NY Jets. The reasons you stated could be true - Ryan may be right about that. BB never told Crennel, or any of his other coaches that have moved on, to NOT move on. I recall the group hug with Crennel and Weiss, on the sideline, after the Pats had beaten Philly in the SB. This thing with Eric and Bill is obviously personal. I don't think any of us will ever know how deep it goes or the absolute reasons why the divide exists. You will never get the whole story from any of them (unless Michael Holly comes out with a new book - due out this December).

From what I understand - back when Mangini was interviewing - Mangini went to his "mentor" for some insight. At that time BB told Mangini he should NOT take the HC job with the NY Jets. The reasons you stated could be true - Ryan may be right about that. BB never told Crennel, or any of his other coaches that have moved on, to NOT move on. I recall the group hug with Crennel and Weiss, on the sideline, after the Pats had beaten Philly in the SB. This thing with Eric and Bill is obviously personal. I don't think any of us will ever know how deep it goes or the absolute reasons why the divide exists. You will never get the whole story from any of them (unless Michael Holly comes out with a new book - due out this December).

Garb, several sources have said that the ONLY issue is that BB did not want Mangini to go to the Jets. And maybe you are right and there is something else to it. But either way BB should grow up and atleast act professional.

Also, Michael Holly is a moron.

Belichick is a snobby pos.

The Jets will go to foxboro and kick the patriots a$$ later in the season.

If I was Mangini after the game at midfield, I'd give Belichick a kiss on the mouth and say

"I knew it was you Belichick! You broke my heart!"

hahaha!!!

In all seriousness there is no reason to even meet that POS at midfield anymore.

F HIM!!!

usually the older person is more mature-it doesn't seem like it in this case though.It was OK for Romeo and Fat Charlie and Saban to pursie better opportunities presented them, but NOT OK for Eric Mangini-why?because it was the Jets-no other reason end of story.

Personally I could care less and we're not whining Garb, we're all just saying what a dick he is because we all can see it-everyone can see it.Granted he's a great coach but he's a horrible person full of resentments-which ends up biting us in the ass eventually...I wouldn't trade what he has-all his money for mine.

You whine? Never! ;)

My aunt, who I adore, is best friends with the wife of a retired fireman. Great couple. Love them. Anyway, he has a cleaning/handyman business. Just a few high-brow clients that pay well. One of those clients is Bill Belichick and his family (who he takes VERY good care of-I hear he is a fantastic dad). Anyway, I've heard some stories. None of them would lead one to beleive he's a jerk.

The rift between he and Mangini is personal....obviously. None of us will ever know the real story because neither of these guys will ever say.

**** you, Mumbles.

Kinda suspect that Bellichick's miserable urinal cake personality might acutally be part of the reason he's a single-minded great coach.

But still cannot figure out what Shenocca Cuckold's problem with Johnson is. Johnson was very ready to write him some serious checks for a long time if he had stayed. What the hell is so awful about Woody Johnson? IF anything he allowed a complete retard of a HC to be indulged for 5 years. Doesn't strike me as an ogre to work for at all; quite the opposite. Could it simply be that when Bellichick fled Johnson got super pissed? Could you blame him? What was he supposed to do-just let an asset liek that walk away?

It's a fact that George Young, Wellington Mara and Art Modell all pretty much loathed Bellichick. In Modell's case that might not be the worst thing. But could it simply be he was much more comfortable with a cuththroat like Kraft than anyone else?

he definitly had the chance to at least give the million to charity after it became a fact he was given the million as a good faith bonus to stay at end of year.

You have to love revisionist history. :rolleyes:

Belichick was given a million to stay....at the end of the 1998 season. Once the 1999 season was complete, he had met the requirement to "stay to the end of the year."

:gfight: :gfight: :gfight: :gfight: :gfight: :gfight: :gfight: :gfight:

Can someone riddle me this?

Why would Belichick give a flying rats ass about the New York Jets of Hempstead? Or even Woody Johnson?

- I think we can all agree Belichick probably had issues with Par$ells.

- We can probably agree he had issues with Art Model for obvious reasons.

Any issues the former for a day HC of the NYJ had little to do with Johnson or the team. And more to do with Par$ells and the affects of a change in ownership he experienced in Cleveland. I am failing to see the connection and any plausible reason for Belichick, outside of them being a division foe, to hate the Jets and/or Johnson. It is not like the Patriots v. Jets has the same impact as Skins v. Boyz holds.

I also find it interesting that Bob Ryan has some insight on this issue. Do not get me wrong, he is one of the better Boston writers and right now it is a barren landscape their as all the good ones have left for national jobs. However, we are talking about a coach that is infamously noted for being...shall we say informationaly elusive when it comes to anything inside his circle of trust. Now, Bob Ryan has the reason behind the Mangini and/or Jets falling out with Belichick? :-s And Belichick is going to trust him with this tidbit of knowledge? A member of the national media? Again, I am having trouble that is the case. However, if Belichick lobs a F bomb like he did with Tom Jackson, mea culpa.

Bugg

That is the whole point. There is no reason for Belichick to have any feelings towards Johnson. Like I said, he might have issues with the change in ownership after what he went through with Model. Plus, he probably had issues with Par$ells retiring but not really retiring and hanging around. He wanted to escape his shadow. Not the unimpressive collective shadows of the Jets and Johnson. As far as the Patriots/jets dynammic goes, Belichick has been on the winning side first with the Patriots, then with the Jets and now again with the Patriots.

Archived