0 - 2

The Gun Of Bavaria

edwards_herman060912b.jpg

I remember telling my friend at the fantasy draft, you don't want to go anywhere near Larry Johnson in the draft this year. He couldn't understand why.

I had LJ rated about 12th on my board, and I was still hoping I wouldn't have to pick him there if he slid to me.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15545050.htm

Chiefs struggle against clock

Things get especially confusing on Huard’s questionable timeout at the end of the second quarter.

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

DENVER | With better clock management, the Chiefs might have left Invesco Field at Mile High with their first road win against the Broncos in six years.

They would have at least given themselves a better chance. But in their first close game with Herm Edwards as coach, they wasted precious seconds at the end of the first half and fourth quarter and wound up losing 9-6 in overtime.

Edwards was also plagued with clock-management issues during his time as head coach of the Jets.

The situation was particularly ugly near the end of the second quarter. The Chiefs, in a scoreless game, had a second down at the Denver 11 with 9 seconds left. The clock was stopped because Samie Parker had gone out of bounds after catching a pass on the previous play, so they could have tried one more play before attempting a field goal.

Quarterback Damon Huard burned the last timeout of the half as the Chiefs were breaking their huddle and heading toward the line of scrimmage. That left the Chiefs with no reasonable choice but to kick the field goal right then.

Explanations varied. Guard Brian Waters indicated Huard may have had trouble getting the play call in proper time. Edwards said the Chiefs weren’t going to get the play started before the play clock expired perhaps because Huard was confused.

“We might have given the quarterback too much in the two-minute (situation),” Edwards said. “The guy hasn’t played a lot. We can’t give him that much.”

Huard, meanwhile, was worried about the Chiefs’ ability to get the three points.

“With nine seconds, I didn’t want to have a bad play,” he said. “I just thought it made the most sense with where we were at that point to take the timeout and make sure we got the three points.

“We weren’t lined up right. It just wasn’t right. I didn’t want to have a bad play and get no points at all.”

The Chiefs again struggled late in the fourth quarter. With the score 6-6, the Chiefs had a first down at their 42 at the 2-minute warning.

But two plays — one being an 11-yard Larry Johnson run that moved the Chiefs past midfield — burned one minute, 19 seconds. The Chiefs didn’t use their second timeout until 32 seconds remained and never used their third.

“We thought about (using timeouts), but then it got to third and 13,” Edwards said. “We wanted to get the ball, drive down and kick a field goal with no time left, but we lost some yards. We needed to at least get to the 30, but we couldn’t do that.”

“We thought about (using timeouts), but then it got to third and 13,” Edwards said. “We wanted to get the ball, drive down and kick a field goal with no time left, but we lost some yards. We needed to at least get to the 30, but we couldn’t do that.”

This is the glossed-over part. He simply doesn't believe a team he coaches can score a touchdown. Kick a FG. Kick a FG. Keep it close till the end of the game and try to win on a last-minute FG.

You play to squeak out the game.

This is the glossed-over part. He simply doesn't believe a team he coaches can score a touchdown. Kick a FG. Kick a FG. Keep it close till the end of the game and try to win on a last-minute FG.

I found this part just as interesting

Explanations varied. Guard Brian Waters indicated Huard may have had trouble getting the play call in proper time. Edwards said the Chiefs weren

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15545370.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_kansas_city_chiefs

“We had a chance to win this,” Edwards said, “and that’s all you can ask for.”

Having a “chance to win” is all he can ask for? How about an “actual win”?

http://chiefs.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/18/turning-over-a-new-leaf/

These turnovers put the Chiefs' turnover tally at 5 so far, with 4 of them occurring within the opponent's 35 yard line.

What was it about Herm Edwards’ teams? Oh yeah, they always win the turnover battle (mostly due to sissy playcalling, never throwing the ball wtih more than 4 yds of air underneath it, but that’s another topic).

The guy knows nothing about offense and he is overrated as a defensive coach. Unless Trent Green comes back I don't see the Chiefs winning more than 6 games this year.

Fraud? How can you say he's a fraud? Sounds like he's giving KC exactly what he advertised.

lol, that was good.

BTW, this is all pure karma at it's finest. Remember the kc fanstalking about how they stole our HC for only a 4th round pick? Oh yeah, I remember and I hope they do too.

BTW2, did we trade away our 4th or KC's 4th for Barlow because I think KC will have a worse record than us and I hope we traded away ours.

raffy, we have to exchange #'s because I never got away from the 16F Bus & My Fam.

You were at 16F and didn't come over to the ice luge? WE HAD THE SCORES WHORES (their Hummer pulled up to the ice luge) hanging with us for the tailgate! Next game I am coming over to 16F and dragging you into the pits of 16G!

BTW2, did we trade away our 4th or KC's 4th for Barlow because I think KC will have a worse record than us and I hope we traded away ours.

Raffy,

The Jets used the Herm pick in the last draft to pick Leon Washington, so I guess the Jets gave up their 2007 4th for Barlow.

I remember over the summer everybody was writing articles and posting that the Jets FO were a bunch of amateurs, and they got robbed by the Chiefs, but I was literally rolling on the ground with laughter. I could barely tell my roommate about our "trade", because I thought we ripped KC off, not the other way around. Herm is absolutely awful, and to get a pick out of a guy we were going to fire anyway, Woody is an absolutely astute businessman.

I remember over the summer everybody was writing articles and posting that the Jets FO were a bunch of amateurs, and they got robbed by the Chiefs, but I was literally rolling on the ground with laughter. I could barely tell my roommate about our "trade", because I thought we ripped KC off, not the other way around. Herm is absolutely awful, and to get a pick out of a guy we were going to fire anyway, Woody is an absolutely astute businessman.

We still didn't "rip off" KC. We got hosed. Just cause the guy is a stiff coach, KC absolutely tampered and he was under contract. It is unprecedented to get a pick that low for a coach under contract, particularly where there was an obvious-though not pursued-tampering case. There are deals that are good for both teams. This one was bad for both teams.

Raffy,

The Jets used the Herm pick in the last draft to pick Leon Washington, so I guess the Jets gave up their 2007 4th for Barlow.

Good call ct, I totally forgot it was before the last draft and not after. #-o

So we got a young, speedy rb with a bright future for a hc that can't figure out how to run 2 plays in under a minute and 20 seconds?

L. Washington for Herm may be the steal of the year, go jets FO!

NEW VS. OLD: COMPARING TWO COACHES’ STYLES

CHIEFSDEN1_SP_091706_DRE_351f_09-19-2006_ONO1U97.jpgCHIEFS_SP_122405_MLR_13047F.IMG_09-19-2006_ONO1U9S.jpg

It’s been only two games, but here’s how the Chiefs have fared in Herm Edwards’ brief tenure as coach (top) compared with five seasons under Dick Vermeil.

Edwards Category Vermeil

8.0 Points for 27.0

16.0 Points against 22.9

129.0 Rush offense 137.3

130.5 Rush defense 124.4

153.5 Pass offense 243.6

146.5 Pass defense 232.4

And the "moral victories" have begun from fans & sportswriters who were used to ACTUAL victories. I want to puke reading the title of this article:

http://chiefs.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/chiefs-lose-to-broncos-in-a-satisfying-defeat/

Chiefs Lose to Broncos in a Satisfying Defeat

The Chiefs lost 9-6 to their heated rivals, the Denver Broncos, and I’m comfortable with that. :smilies2_puke:

Don’t think for a second that their offense didn’t also improve. :shock:

I could do without all the passive run plays on 3rd down situations :smilies2_puke:

The Chiefs had a lot of little victories on Sunday. :smilies2_puke:

This team is a vastly improved team. I would venture to say they are an even better team than they were last year, when they narrowly missed the playoffs on a 10-6 record. :shock:

The Hermoginization of the sports writers has begun. They now care more about finding silver linings than finding their team as winners. That quote about losing to a division rival as being somehow "ok" is an eerie reminder of it being ok that the Jets couldn't beat the Patriots. Will it also be ok when they drop 2 games to San Diego this year?

"little victories."

"Satisfying Defeat"

What a friggin' loser.

And the "moral victories" have begun from fans & sportswriters who were used to ACTUAL victories. I want to puke reading the title of this article:

http://chiefs.mostvaluablenetwork.com/general/chiefs-lose-to-broncos-in-a-satisfying-defeat/

Chiefs Lose to Broncos in a Satisfying Defeat

The Hermoginization of the sports writers has begun. They now care more about finding silver linings than finding their team as winners. That quote about losing to a division rival as being somehow "ok" is an eerie reminder of it being ok that the Jets couldn't beat the Patriots. Will it also be ok when they drop 2 games to San Diego this year?

"little victories."

"Satisfying Defeat"

What a friggin' loser.

0-2 but better? Nice logic there Mr. Sportswriter-in-KC.

Archived