Peter King Answers My Question Re: Mangini/Belichick

scott dierking II

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../mailbag/1.html

MY TOWN CHECKS IN WITH A LOGICAL QUESTION. From Michael Dunn of Montclair, N.J.: "Fellow Montclairian: Why is it that no one will ask Bill Belichick the simple direct questions to get to the bottom of the whole Mangini affair? 'Bill, why are you failing to even acknowledge Eric Mangini, when a year ago you did nothing but praise Nick Saban in Miami and wished him well except when he played the Patriots? Why would you not wish the exact same for Mangini, one of your most loyal foot soldiers for 11 years, who's been nothing but highly complimentary of you since he's taken the job with the Jets?' Why hasn't one journalist asked this very simple question?''

I can't answer that. It's a good question. Want my guess? Here it is: Belichick and Saban have been friends for a long time. They met in the offseason for something like 15 years, except for when they weren't on the same staff, to talk football strategy and, I'm guessing, life. Belichick and Mangini were not friends like that. They were co-workers. Belichick was the boss, Mangini the employee. They didn't do much socializing. It was a business relationship. And now the Patriots think the Jets tampered with Deion Branch.

There is nothing surprising here, really. Neither man is warm and fuzzy. Neither man would logically pick up the phone to say, "How's the family?'' Not in their makeup. In addition, Belichick and Mangini didn't always see eye to eye on how the defense should be called last year with the Patriots. I always felt that when they parted they wouldn't form any kind of personal relationship at all. That's been exacerbated by the tampering allegations. So that's why you saw what you saw last week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../mailbag/1.html

MY TOWN CHECKS IN WITH A LOGICAL QUESTION. From Michael Dunn of Montclair, N.J.: "Fellow Montclairian: Why is it that no one will ask Bill Belichick the simple direct questions to get to the bottom of the whole Mangini affair? 'Bill, why are you failing to even acknowledge Eric Mangini, when a year ago you did nothing but praise Nick Saban in Miami and wished him well except when he played the Patriots? Why would you not wish the exact same for Mangini, one of your most loyal foot soldiers for 11 years, who's been nothing but highly complimentary of you since he's taken the job with the Jets?' Why hasn't one journalist asked this very simple question?''

I can't answer that. It's a good question. Want my guess? Here it is: Belichick and Saban have been friends for a long time. They met in the offseason for something like 15 years, except for when they weren't on the same staff, to talk football strategy and, I'm guessing, life. Belichick and Mangini were not friends like that. They were co-workers. Belichick was the boss, Mangini the employee. They didn't do much socializing. It was a business relationship. And now the Patriots think the Jets tampered with Deion Branch.

There is nothing surprising here, really. Neither man is warm and fuzzy. Neither man would logically pick up the phone to say, "How's the family?'' Not in their makeup. In addition, Belichick and Mangini didn't always see eye to eye on how the defense should be called last year with the Patriots. I always felt that when they parted they wouldn't form any kind of personal relationship at all. That's been exacerbated by the tampering allegations. So that's why you saw what you saw last week.

i.e., BB is a prick.

how many of you still chum it up with your ex employers? People seem to forget that coaches WORK together, that doesn't mean they go out for drinks and babysit each other's children.

That depends on the circumstances for parting ways...you don't have to go out for drinks, but at least act like you know each other when you see one another.

That depends on the circumstances for parting ways...you don't have to go out for drinks, but at least act like you know each other when you see one another.

good point,,,

it seems like we had Herm apologists even thpough he was a shiity coach, we now have Belly apologists even though he is a shiity person

how many of you still chum it up with your ex employers? People seem to forget that coaches WORK together, that doesn't mean they go out for drinks and babysit each other's children.

Actually, I go to Knick games with a former boss from my previous firm all the time and I also go out with some other former bosses from time to time to shoot the sh!t and catch up. I guess I'm just weird and BB is the norm.

Again, I just don't see it that way. In my prior profession (banking) it was very common to be laid off and/or move on to a different bank for a promotion. At large consumer functions such as Chamber of Commerce events and the likes it was very common to run into ex-coworkers/employees/employers. The ones who I didn't have any kind of relationship other than a working one it was simply a "hey how are you" and that's it.

The bottom line is Mangini was an employee of belichek. They were never buddies in the past. There is only a perception of that because the media paints Mangini as Belly's prodigy. I'm sure Belicheck was not going out of his way to groom Mangini as a HC, but rather as a DC. There is no animosity or lost love, it is just simply a professional parting of ways, hence the professional hand shake/good game comments afterwards. You guys are looking way too deep into this,.

little known secret

Saban actually is a very s--tty NFL coach

extremely overrated

Look at the assemblage of turds he has collected

Belly is threatened by Mangini

Great observation. I also think BB is bitter, like a scorned ex, for whatever reasons...

It is strange that recently there have been several good CFB coaches who did not excell at coaching and evaluating NFL players: Butch davis, Spurrier, Saban.. in the past there was Carroll, Holtz, John Robinson...

Great observation. I also think BB is bitter, like a scorned ex, for whatever reasons...

It is strange that recently there have been several good CFB coaches who did not excell at coaching and evaluating NFL players: Butch davis, Spurrier, Saban.. in the past there was Carroll, Holtz, John Robinson...

That's true JC. When was the last time a college HC made a successful transformation to the pro ranks? I'd have to dig it up, but it's been awhile...probably JJ and that was prior to free agency.

Belly is threatened by Mangini

WTF does Belichick have to be threatened by? Is Belichick afraid he is going to lose his worst dressed NFL Coach title?

Maybe Belichick is angry for him leaving? Who knows. Maybe Mangini banged his wife when they split. I do not care. However, there is not reason for Belichick to be threatened by Mangini. Belichick probably shats more football knowledge every morning then Mangini has learned over the years.

Archived