A piece of history (Patriots)

puertorricanjet

Unfortunately for the Patriots, they would be caught in the middle of one of the more bizarre Super Bowl week subplots of all time. Prior to the AFC Championship game, Fryar had cut two fingers with a kitchen knife, requiring them to be put in a cast. At first dismissed as a freak accident, it was not until after the conference championship that the truth came out: Fryar's wife Jacqueline had slashed him in a domestic incident after Fryar had knocked her down. It was a distraction that, many thought, epitomized the history of these Patriots - coming as it did in what was otherwise to that point the franchise's finest hour.

In the Super Bowl, though the Bears had not allowed a point in the playoffs, the Patriots took an early 3-0 lead after a Walter Payton fumble in the first quarter. Unfortunately this opening drive would be marked by another turn of terrible luck, with tight end Lin Dawson getting knocked out with a broken leg. Despite this somewhat promising start, the Bears would go on to score the next 46 points, including a touchdown by William "Refrigerator" Perry. The Patriots would add a meaningless touchdown at the end to make the final score 46-10, the most lopsided defeat in Super Bowl history at the time.

Read the rest at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

Unfortunately for the Patriots, they would be caught in the middle of one of the more bizarre Super Bowl week subplots of all time. Prior to the AFC Championship game, Fryar had cut two fingers with a kitchen knife, requiring them to be put in a cast. At first dismissed as a freak accident, it was not until after the conference championship that the truth came out: Fryar's wife Jacqueline had slashed him in a domestic incident after Fryar had knocked her down. It was a distraction that, many thought, epitomized the history of these Patriots - coming as it did in what was otherwise to that point the franchise's finest hour.

In the Super Bowl, though the Bears had not allowed a point in the playoffs, the Patriots took an early 3-0 lead after a Walter Payton fumble in the first quarter. Unfortunately this opening drive would be marked by another turn of terrible luck, with tight end Lin Dawson getting knocked out with a broken leg. Despite this somewhat promising start, the Bears would go on to score the next 46 points, including a touchdown by William "Refrigerator" Perry. The Patriots would add a meaningless touchdown at the end to make the final score 46-10, the most lopsided defeat in Super Bowl history at the time.

Read the rest at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

Ah the good old days (minus the home wildcard loss:Cuss: )

BTW, it was the 80's so half the nfl was blowing lines.

I remember that well. Great way to end a storybook season! LOL! Fryar has since found God and is a model citizen - I think. I beleive there was some rumor of rampant cocaine use too. TX can you confirm this?

Yep, the cocaine rumors/facts were about Tony Collins and a couple others.

Also, was it Fryar who left a game at half-time that year and crashed into a tree while the game was still going on?

And who can forget the Lisa Olsen-Zeke Mowat incident.

I was a proud season ticket holder during those times.:eek:

Yep, the cocaine rumors/facts were about Tony Collins and a couple others.

Also, was it Fryar who left a game at half-time that year and crashed into a tree while the game was still going on?

And who can forget the Lisa Olsen-Zeke Mowat incident.

I was a proud season ticket holder during those times.:eek:

Yes, good times indeed! Remember the music video about the Pats in response to Chicago's Superbowl Shuffle? It was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Oh, and tailgating back then was like being on the set of Animal House. One big drunken frat party in the parking lot. Joebabyny would have made a fortune.

TX - the place, the organization, has cleaned up so much. It's night and day. Did you know that if a person takes off their shirt during a game - security is there in a nano-second requesting that the person put the shirt back on or risk ejection. Cool by me.

Yes, good times indeed! Remember the music video about the Pats in response to Chicago's Superbowl Shuffle? It was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Oh, and tailgating back then was like being on the set of Animal House. One big drunken frat party in the parking lot. Joebabyny would have made a fortune.

TX - the place, the organization, has cleaned up so much. It's night and day. Did you know that if a person takes off their shirt during a game - security is there in a nano-second requesting that the person put the shirt back on or risk ejection. Cool by me.

What about the last game that year (in the freezing cold and snow) against the Bengals to clinch a playoff spot?

Remember the drunk morons who tore down the goalpost and were walking it down Route 1 when they hit the power wires and were electrocuted?

If I'm not mistaken, somebody died from that incident.

Good times indeed.;)

What about the last game that year (in the freezing cold and snow) against the Bengals to clinch a playoff spot?

Remember the drunk morons who tore down the goalpost and were walking it down Route 1 when they hit the power wires and were electrocuted?

If I'm not mistaken, somebody died from that incident.

Good times indeed.;)

I think that's where the term "massh@le" came from. LOL!

"Near the end of a snowy game in 1982, the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots were scoreless with Patriots kicker John Smith about to try a 33-yard field goal. Patriots coach Ron Meyer told stadium worker Mel Henderson (a convicted felon) to drive a snow sweeper out to clear a spot for the kick. While the Dolphins watched in disbelief, Smith's boot was good, and the Pats robbed Miami 3-0. Ironically, the crime Henderson had been convicted of was... burglary."

"Near the end of a snowy game in 1982, the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots were scoreless with Patriots kicker John Smith about to try a 33-yard field goal. Patriots coach Ron Meyer told stadium worker Mel Henderson (a convicted felon) to drive a snow sweeper out to clear a spot for the kick. While the Dolphins watched in disbelief, Smith's boot was good, and the Pats robbed Miami 3-0. Ironically, the crime Henderson had been convicted of was... burglary."

Hahahah that's funny as hell PRJ good find

There are so many stories out there about the Pats sorid history it is amazing the team is still around.

Those years in the late '80's and early '90's were brutal. Those were the days when my friends and I would buy tickets at the Mall on Saturday and roll down to Foxboro on Sunday.

In 1992 I bought season tickets at the age of 20. I have had them ever since.

the look on Don Shulas' face was priceless-he's like "what are they doing?"- The first thing I thought of watching it was karma is a bitch (83 Championship game=Mud Bowl)

the look on Don Shulas' face was priceless-he's like "what are they doing?"- The first thing I thought of watching it was karma is a bitch (83 Championship game=Mud Bowl)

Shula is still pissed about that game to this day. Such a hypocrite after what he did to the Jets down in the Orange Bowl.

My wife almost had me sent to the loony bin that day. When I saw this happen, I was jumping up and down in my living room, screaming "serves you right, you mf'ing son a beetch". And I did this for like a complete 5 minutes or so.

Someone finally used the rules against the a$$hole and he hated it. A great day for all Jet fans that despise the f'n Fish.

My wife almost had me sent to the loony bin that day. When I saw this happen, I was jumping up and down in my living room, screaming "serves you right, you mf'ing son a beetch". And I did this for like a complete 5 minutes or so.

Someone finally used the rules against the a$$hole and he hated it. A great day for all Jet fans that despise the f'n Fish.

Wasn't that the strike season where the Dophins went 7-2, the Jets 6-3 and the Pats 5-4?

At least that prick lost the Super Bowl that year. The only negative was that allowed Joe Theismann to win one!

Once upon a time the New England Patriots were known as a collection of lovable losers. We used to hold them in high regard and disdain at the same time. Not in the same way as the Red Sox, for whom New Englanders can never run out of conversational tangents about. They always seemed to be a team going nowhere, but you just had to love them. Once upon a time, Steve Grogan was the epitome of New England's work hard and try to persevere mentality. He was the man and no matter how many times they tried to sit him on the bench and bring another quarterback in to lead the team, everyone wanted Grogan.

Ah, but that was long ago and far away. In 1985/1986, the Patriots astounded critics by taking an improbable regular season and playoff run to Super Bowl XX. However, as luck would have it for these lovable losers, they would run smack into the infamous '85 Chicago Bears in the New Orleans Superdome and get beaten into submission. There are few fans back home in New England that don't remember looking at the face of a shellshocked Tony Eason, the golden boy picked to displace Steve Grogan at the time, cowering in fear and pain as the Bears' defense kept coming at him.

Lean years would follow that Superbowl debacle. Tony Eason never recovered from the treatment he received at the hands of the Bears and probably still has flashbacks. Even the proudest Patriot of all times, John Hannah would run out of gas. In true New England style, the greatest player the Patriots ever had was an offensive lineman.

The next golden boy to arrive on the scene would be Drew Bledsoe. The Patriots' first round draft pick in 1993, the former Washington State hero would arrive on the scene with more fanfare than any New England quarterback before him. The team would build around him and highly regarded head coach Bill Parcells and find its way to a second Superbowl appearance. Again, they would be thrown down and dismissed, this time by the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XXXI. This time, however, they at least looked like they belonged there, merely losing 35-21.

Bill Parcells would leave soon after and the Patriots would spend the next four years trying to establish a new identity. The eventual hire of Bill Belichick would do little to bring back faith, as this was a man famous for being a grump who rubbed people the wrong way and was driven out of Cleveland for being unable to get along with anyone.

Super Bowl XXXVI would find the Patriots visiting New Orleans and the site of past defeats once again. This time the golden boy Drew Bledsoe would find himself on the bench for most of the season, replaced by unheralded quarterback Tom Brady, the closest thing to a Steve Grogan the latter day Patriots have been able to find. The underdog quarterback is once again behind center on the team that tries to glorify the working man's mentality. It has worked throughout the season and into the playoffs. The question on everyone's mind on Superbowl Sunday 2002 is, will it work again, or will the heavily favored St. Louis Rams treat the New England Patriots the same way the Bears and Packers treated them in Superbowls past?

After forty-two years of existence without winning a league championship, there must have been some magic in an old silk hat someone was wearing. Devoid of any real superstar, their highest paid player on the bench, the New England Patriots came onto the field as a team, going against the long standing tradition of introducing individual starters, and made a mockery of the fact that they were considered 14 point underdogs. Taking advantage of turnovers and keeping St. Louis' high flying offense from making frequent trips to the end zone, the Patriots hung on for a wild ride and won the game in the final seconds with a 48 yard fieldgoal. The Patriots would be immortalized as winners of Super Bowl XXXVI.

And so, the New England Patriots could finally be considered winners. Where would they go from there? Would new found respect change the nature of this team? Only time will tell.

Once upon a time the New England Patriots were known as a collection of lovable losers. We used to hold them in high regard and disdain at the same time. Not in the same way as the Red Sox, for whom New Englanders can never run out of conversational tangents about. They always seemed to be a team going nowhere, but you just had to love them. Once upon a time, Steve Grogan was the epitome of New England's work hard and try to persevere mentality. He was the man and no matter how many times they tried to sit him on the bench and bring another quarterback in to lead the team, everyone wanted Grogan.

Ah, but that was long ago and far away. In 1985/1986, the Patriots astounded critics by taking an improbable regular season and playoff run to Super Bowl XX. However, as luck would have it for these lovable losers, they would run smack into the infamous '85 Chicago Bears in the New Orleans Superdome and get beaten into submission. There are few fans back home in New England that don't remember looking at the face of a shellshocked Tony Eason, the golden boy picked to displace Steve Grogan at the time, cowering in fear and pain as the Bears' defense kept coming at him.

Lean years would follow that Superbowl debacle. Tony Eason never recovered from the treatment he received at the hands of the Bears and probably still has flashbacks. Even the proudest Patriot of all times, John Hannah would run out of gas. In true New England style, the greatest player the Patriots ever had was an offensive lineman.

The next golden boy to arrive on the scene would be Drew Bledsoe. The Patriots' first round draft pick in 1993, the former Washington State hero would arrive on the scene with more fanfare than any New England quarterback before him. The team would build around him and highly regarded head coach Bill Parcells and find its way to a second Superbowl appearance. Again, they would be thrown down and dismissed, this time by the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XXXI. This time, however, they at least looked like they belonged there, merely losing 35-21.

Bill Parcells would leave soon after and the Patriots would spend the next four years trying to establish a new identity. The eventual hire of Bill Belichick would do little to bring back faith, as this was a man famous for being a grump who rubbed people the wrong way and was driven out of Cleveland for being unable to get along with anyone.

Super Bowl XXXVI would find the Patriots visiting New Orleans and the site of past defeats once again. This time the golden boy Drew Bledsoe would find himself on the bench for most of the season, replaced by unheralded quarterback Tom Brady, the closest thing to a Steve Grogan the latter day Patriots have been able to find. The underdog quarterback is once again behind center on the team that tries to glorify the working man's mentality. It has worked throughout the season and into the playoffs. The question on everyone's mind on Superbowl Sunday 2002 is, will it work again, or will the heavily favored St. Louis Rams treat the New England Patriots the same way the Bears and Packers treated them in Superbowls past?

After forty-two years of existence without winning a league championship, there must have been some magic in an old silk hat someone was wearing. Devoid of any real superstar, their highest paid player on the bench, the New England Patriots came onto the field as a team, going against the long standing tradition of introducing individual starters, and made a mockery of the fact that they were considered 14 point underdogs. Taking advantage of turnovers and keeping St. Louis' high flying offense from making frequent trips to the end zone, the Patriots hung on for a wild ride and won the game in the final seconds with a 48 yard fieldgoal. The Patriots would be immortalized as winners of Super Bowl XXXVI.

And so, the New England Patriots could finally be considered winners. Where would they go from there? Would new found respect change the nature of this team? Only time will tell.

I went to SB31. There were 30 Cheeseheads for every Pats fan. We were in that game until the Desmond Howard kick return after Curtis Martins great TD run to cut the Packer lead to 7.

Little did I know that Parcells had mailed it in by agreeing to be the HC of the NYJ in the week proceeding the Super Bowl.

All Jets fans hate Belichick. All Pats fans hate Parcells.

I went to SB31. There were 30 Cheeseheads for every Pats fan. We were in that game until the Desmond Howard kick return after Curtis Martins great TD run to cut the Packer lead to 7.

Little did I know that Parcells had mailed it in by agreeing to be the HC of the NYJ in the week proceeding the Super Bowl.

All Jets fans hate Belichick. All Pats fans hate Parcells.

yea they do-what is it about our ex-coaches that piss us off so anyway?

yea they do-what is it about our ex-coaches that piss us off so anyway?

I think it is the "back-stabbing" feel that happened with Tuna going to the Jets and, on your side, Belichick going to NE.

The real question should be: Why do we all care so much about "our" teams?

I think it is the "back-stabbing" feel that happened with Tuna going to the Jets and, on your side, Belichick going to NE.

The real question should be: Why do we all care so much about "our" teams?

it's something that gets into your blood-it ain't about players it ain't about coaches it may have something to do with color-someone should do a study-I'll bet you Southern Jet has a theory-he's smarter than me

it's something that gets into your blood-it ain't about players it ain't about coaches it may have something to do with color-someone should do a study-I'll bet you Southern Jet has a theory-he's smarter than me

C'mone SoFla it isn't about the colours; that's for the chicks! It is about loyalty to your City and/or State.............

I may go on a tangent here.

Growing up in Australia we had a football league that was only played in my home state (Victoria). The league was called the VFL and as a youngster you had to pick a team.

Not matter what team you picked it was still in your home state. I picked a team called St. Kilda. They sucked back when I picked them in 1982.

They have been around since 1876 or something stupid like that and have won the whole thing once (1966)!

When my family moved from Australia to Boston in late 1986 I didn

C'mone SoFla it isn't about the colours; that's for the chicks! It is about loyalty to your City and/or State.............

I may go on a tangent here.

Growing up in Australia we had a football league that was only played in my home state (Victoria). The league was called the VFL and as a youngster you had to pick a team.

Not matter what team you picked it was still in your home state. I picked a team called St. Kilda. They sucked back when I picked them in 1982.

They have been around since 1876 or something stupid like that and have won the whole thing once (1966)!

When my family moved from Australia to Boston in late 1986 I didn

Ask my children. Born and raised in Florida and they hate the Florida teams as much as I do. There are plenty of fans like that...their parents spoon fed them when they were young and now they're good to go. The wife hates me for it, but if you want to live in my house, you follow the rules.

yea gainzo is right it must be a territorial thing-I'm a Jersey guy regardless of where I live now.I hate the friggin Dolphins.I meet a lot of people from up that way in SoFla and I always ask them "who's your team?" and about half of them will tell me "I used to be a Jets fan but since I live down here I root for the Dolphins now"-To me that's unbelievable could never switch teams unless they moved the Jets to say L.A.-and yea JFF-you live here in this house you wear green and white on Sunday or stay in your room like my son-in-law.When they first moved in me and my wife would always put out Jets glasses for him to drink from-not too subtle huh?

Ask my children. Born and raised in Florida and they hate the Florida teams as much as I do. There are plenty of fans like that...their parents spoon fed them when they were young and now they're good to go. The wife hates me for it, but if you want to live in my house, you follow the rules.

JFF - I think that is borderline abuse. Infecting them with your curse is cruel. ;-)

My kids do not care about sports like I do, but they are able to point out the Sox and Patriots logo wherever we go.

bradymugger2.jpg"He's Gay to Me": We admit we were hoping supermodel Gisele Bundchen knew something we didn't when we saw that she said about Tom Brady, "He's gay to me."

Alas, the Victoria's Secret model was referring to the fact that Brady, the New England Patriots quarterback, was already dating Bridget Moynahan. ?He?s cute, but if he has a girlfriend, he?s gay to me,? Bundchen told the Boston Herald after she watched Sunday's Patriots-Jets game in person. ?There are too many men in the world to go after a man who has a woman. Life is too short.?

Bundchen, who dated Leonardo Di Caprio, said Brady stacked up pretty well. "Tom Brady, definitely not too shabby," she said. "He?s pretty cute. All-American, that?s a good way to describe him."

Brady was a little red-faced when asked by a Boston radio station about Bundchen's gay comment. "Oh, geez, that?s a little harsh," he said on WEEI. "That?s crazy." Brady said it was hard for his teammates to concentrate on the game Sunday when Bundchen's picture was posted on the stadium scoreboard. "She was up there [on the scoreboard] and there?s 11 guys in the huddle looking up at her," Brady said. "And you go, ?Come on guys.' "

It seems that everyone drools over Brady, three-time Super Bowl champion and this year's Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. Teammate Chrisitan Fauria said this in October. "I love that guy. I wish he didn't have a girlfriend. Did I say that out loud? I did, didn't I?" Tom Brady, a man of all the people. --Jim Buzinski

belichickstud.jpgOK, so it turns out that Patriots coach Bill Belichick is quite the swordsman.

Bill Belichick has been named The Other Man in an ugly New Jersey divorce case and the jilted hubby has asked the court to let his lawyers quiz the New England Patriots head coach about his relationship with the missus, a blond fortysomething mother of two.

All kinds of great stuff here. Apparently Belichick flew the woman to the Super Bowl in Houston, and they've actually known each other since he was with the Giants back in 1990.

It's impossible for anyone to deny Belichick's coaching prowess over the last few years. But who know what he was capable of? This guy's got real field vision. Anyone who has watched a Patriots game over the last few years knows just how devastatingly handsome Belichick is, and now a poor New Jersey husband knows all too well.

Archived