Your Thoughts on the "defenseless receiver" and roughing the passer calls

raffyD

I watched the Jags pummel the Steelers old school style, just good old fashioned hard hitting and I loved the game.

I noticed something very disturbing and I wanted to get your thoughts: Unneccessary roughness was called on a Jags db (Darius) for hitting a Stillers wr who failed to make a catch. The wr attempted to make a 1 handed grab and was fully extended, the ball had just flicked off of the wr's hand when the safety/db took a 1/2 step and put a nice clean shoulder on the wr's gut to ensure the ball was not caught.

That was called unneccessary roughness by the officials, and Theismen kept saying "you just can't do that, blah, blah , blah, it's a penalty . . . " and everyone agreed with him. Theismen's support of the call pissed me off more than anything else.

How in the hell has this become illegal in the nfl? Are db's supposed to allow receivers to catch the ball and not put a clean lick on them, waiting instead for the receiver to cleanly catch the ball in the air and then make the move to hit them? That is ridiculous, so much so that Al Toon would still be playing with this type of officiating, or at least be in the hall of fame by now.

I think a similar situation happened in the Sunday night game and there at least the announcers tried (at first) to justify the flag by saying he led with his helmet however they then corrected themselves and said, uh no, not really he clearly used his shoulder pads, which was 100% and should not have been a flag.

Also the barrage of roughing the passer calls is beginning to get out of control, some are just absolutely ridiculous. Maybe they should just call it touch football when it comes to the QB and give him the red jersey to wear during game day. It's also affecting the outcome of games.

I'm starting to think that the NFL loses too much money when a big name goes down (ratings, etc), more so with QB's than WR's, and they want to protect their investment. My problem with this is that all of this (injuries, being able to withstand a hit) is part of the game of football, yet I have a feeling money is changing the rules of the game we love so much.

I also have a feeling that I am getting old and starting to learn too much about the way the world really works and I see it in the nfl and it's not a good thing.

I'm starting to wish I was 10 years old again rushing home to play a little touch in the street and catch the 4 pm Jets game (on nbc) on my parent's black and white Zenith.

Sorry that was a little verbose but I needed to put it all out there and welcome any opinions.

Mike Martz started the bitching after SB36 and Bill Polian took of an ran with it after the Pats manhandled the Colts in the playoffs in 2003 and 2004.

What happened in 2005? A complete overhaul of the 5-yard contact and Pass Interference rules and god forbid a DB laying out a WR.

I hate the NFL sometimes.

I agree with you on the WRs, but I think you go a bit overboard on the QBs. You don't want hits like the one Palmer took in the playoffs. I've seen Chad, Carr and others absolutely get destroyed, with no penalties called. Eli got sacked 8 times. It's not touch football for the QBs out there, you're just seeing maybe a few bad calls and that's it. I thought there should have been a flag in the Jets game when one of the Pats jumped offside and shoved Chad. I don't remember if there was a call or not on that, but you can't let things like that happen. Green probably shouldn't have been hit either when he gave himself up.

I also have a feeling that I am getting old and starting to learn too much about the way the world really works and I see it in the nfl and it's not a good thing.

I'm starting to wish I was 10 years old again rushing home to play a little touch in the street and catch the 4 pm Jets game (on nbc) on my parent's black and white Zenith.

I'm feelin ya on that.

^ serphnx, there was a penalty on that, two actually. There was a roughing the passer, 15-yard automatic 1st down, and a 5 yard offside penalty, the latter being declined. I think the rules toprotect the quaterbacks are fine, but some of the new penalties are too much in favor of WR's, they need to return the balance with the DB's. Pennington is too elusive to have the penalties matter, except for the offside/roughing the passer mentioned above :)

I think as long as the NFL allows the 5 yard rule then they should lay off the personal fouls. The problem is that the protective equiptment on players has become so good that they are now using it as a weapon, especiallytheir helmets. The hits today are much worse than 20 or even 10 years ago.

^ Now isn't that a bit ironic. The things used to PROTECT people are being used as weapons. So what do they do, leave it, or go to the not-as-good protection that's not used as weapons?

actually, that is the entire reason that i always liked playing tackle football without pads than with.

^ serphnx, there was a penalty on that, two actually. There was a roughing the passer, 15-yard automatic 1st down, and a 5 yard offside penalty, the latter being declined. I think the rules toprotect the quaterbacks are fine, but some of the new penalties are too much in favor of WR's, they need to return the balance with the DB's. Pennington is too elusive to have the penalties matter, except for the offside/roughing the passer mentioned above :)

Oh yeah you're right. I personally hope for a fine on top of that. One of the O-lineman really should gotten in the guy's face or maybe brawled with him though. You don't touch our QB man. I remember a playoff game where a Bears defender hit Steve Young a bit late, and the entire team came off the bench. We gotta protect Chad like that.

Oh yeah you're right. I personally hope for a fine on top of that. One of the O-lineman really should gotten in the guy's face or maybe brawled with him though. You don't touch our QB man. I remember a playoff game where a Bears defender hit Steve Young a bit late, and the entire team came off the bench. We gotta protect Chad like that.

Yeah, I think there should be a fine too, but I doubt we'll get it. The guy could've easily stopped himself, but he had to go in and run over Pennington. Our guys on the O-line should've at least said stuf back to him, protect the leader of the offense, guys! We have to protect him like that bears hit on Steve Young, especially because of Pennington being injury-proned.

edit: I forgot to mention that, jetcane. You're absolutely right. That one was also dirty, and there was also a penalty given on that. That could've easily destroyed his leg.

I watched the Jags pummel the Steelers old school style, just good old fashioned hard hitting and I loved the game.

I noticed something very disturbing and I wanted to get your thoughts: Unneccessary roughness was called on a Jags db (Darius) for hitting a Stillers wr who failed to make a catch. The wr attempted to make a 1 handed grab and was fully extended, the ball had just flicked off of the wr's hand when the safety/db took a 1/2 step and put a nice clean shoulder on the wr's gut to ensure the ball was not caught.

The ball was way over the receivers head; it was Cedric Wilson, there was no way it flicked off his fingers. As soon as Darius hit him I was looking for the flag, very obvious. I have no idea what you were looking at.

As far as QBs, I think it's a bit much, but that is the position that brings in the bucks to the NFL.

He was on that play.

I don't think it was a dirty play by Seymour. Nor do I think that the Palmer hit was dirty.

In some respects, I feel sorry for the D-linemen. You can't hit a QB high, you can't hit him low, you can't hit him with a helmet and you can't throw him down hard. And it seems to differ with the different refereeing crews.

Face it, it's all about money, as usual. Owners have a lot invested in the QBs and they don't want them hurt. So every year there's a new rule to protect them. It's one of the things that bothers me about the NFL, the constant tinkering with the rules. Just play the damn game!

I don't think it was a dirty play by Seymour. Nor do I think that the Palmer hit was dirty.

In some respects, I feel sorry for the D-linemen. You can't hit a QB high, you can't hit him low, you can't hit him with a helmet and you can't throw him down hard. And it seems to differ with the different refereeing crews.

Face it, it's all about money, as usual. Owners have a lot invested in the QBs and they don't want them hurt. So every year there's a new rule to protect them. It's one of the things that bothers me about the NFL, the constant tinkering with the rules. Just play the damn game!

Seymour wrapped his forearms around Chad's heel and drove his shoulder into the upper shin, hyperextending it. It wasn't something done in the heat of the moment or by accident. These guys are paid millions of dollars a year to have total control of their bodies and split-second instincts.

Seymour may not be an innately dirty player, but he was dirty as hell in that moment.

This is coming from someone who hates the pansy rules that are being put into effect.

Seymour wrapped his forearms around Chad's heel and drove his shoulder into the upper shin, hyperextending it. It wasn't something done in the heat of the moment or by accident. These guys are paid millions of dollars a year to have total control of their bodies and split-second instincts.

Seymour may not be an innately dirty player, but he was dirty as hell in that moment.

This is coming from someone who hates the pansy rules that are being put into effect.

What is the name of the bloke that the Jets picked up in the offeason that took out Carlson Palmer?

I agree with you on the WRs, but I think you go a bit overboard on the QBs. You don't want hits like the one Palmer took in the playoffs. I've seen Chad, Carr and others absolutely get destroyed, with no penalties called. Eli got sacked 8 times. It's not touch football for the QBs out there, you're just seeing maybe a few bad calls and that's it. I thought there should have been a flag in the Jets game when one of the Pats jumped offside and shoved Chad. I don't remember if there was a call or not on that, but you can't let things like that happen. Green probably shouldn't have been hit either when he gave himself up.

I'm seeing a lot of bad calls on the QB's. It needs to stop.

The hit on Chad was flagged for a penalty, but not the dirty one that Seymour tried which was actually career threatening.

Watch the play again if you have dvr, Cedric the WR got a full palm on that ball and many a receiver has come down with that in the past. If you don't want to get hit you don't go up for the ball, period.

If you have ever played football, particularly db, what you're asking Darius to do (or actually, not to do) is virtually impossible, i.e. come to a complete dead stop a fraction of a second after the wr does not complete the catch.

Archived