hey jetcane..look who is trying out for the pats

jetsrule128

im surprised they let him go in the first place

I find it very hard to believe that Schlegel is a better athlete

maybe it was a character move, i don't know

but seems to me if you are known as a ST expert and you block a punt & return it for a TD in preseason you should make the team.

the guy has wheels you can't teach that

im surprised they let him go in the first place

I find it very hard to believe that Schlegel is a better athlete

maybe it was a character move, i don't know

but seems to me if you are known as a ST expert and you block a punt & return it for a TD in preseason you should make the team.

the guy has wheels you can't teach that

Being an athlete is not everything Bitonti. At some point you have to be a good football player. This is why it is ridiculous to waste high draft picks on workout warriors (like DRob for example). While McClover has been great at special teams, he is relatively useless on D. He can't cover as a safety and is not strong enough to play LB. You just can't waste roster spots on special teams only guys.

Not only that, but there have been players that have made a career for themselves as ST playmakers...and it's not like we had a whole ton of money invested in this kid.

He also has no position on D. the "positions" he is listed under be it S or LB are both ones of extreme depth, while we have none on OL and DL. Keeping him on the roster for SpT's only is a tremendous waste when you have such deficiencies elsewhere on the team. Teams with the luxury of depth and a dolid unit can get away with keeping an exclusive SpT's player.

Bottom line is McClover is just like Harry Williams, Chad Gessner, Little John Flowers, and tons of other preseason superheroes that people start to declare as the next great story.

what D Mc cannot rush the passer on 3rd passing situations?

Why can't Rhodes, Coleman, Thomas, Vilma, or Barton do the same? Are you implying that McClover is so much better than any one of those guys at it that he deserves tro take away the depth from other positions that are seriously deficient at the moment? And if so, based on what? His success against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the preseason?

I think that special teams could be an equalizer when you are outmanned by other teams. The staff could have chosen a more creative route, and realized that keeping an Ace special teamer has more advantages than keeping a POS OL, of which we have several.

Being an athlete is not everything Bitonti. At some point you have to be a good football player. This is why it is ridiculous to waste high draft picks on workout warriors (like DRob for example). While McClover has been great at special teams, he is relatively useless on D. He can't cover as a safety and is not strong enough to play LB. You just can't waste roster spots on special teams only guys.

Is Ryan Myers better than McClover?

Is Ryan Myers better than McClover?

At LB? Apparantly our coaching staff feels that way. Look, in preseason Mangini rotated every available player onto the 1st team unit to see how they perform. Obviously they felt McClover didn't cut it at LB which is why they cut him. Plain and simple.

I think that special teams could be an equalizer when you are outmanned by other teams. The staff could have chosen a more creative route, and realized that keeping an Ace special teamer has more advantages than keeping a POS OL, of which we have several.

Our special teams kickoff and punt coverage has been very good so far. Doesn't look like they are missing a beat without McClover.

You're missing the point Boozer. McC is a proven playmaker on ST.

It's not about missing a beat- it's about not having someone who will block a punt and run it back for a TD (was there someone else on the team who did that?)

It's about McC consistently being the first guy downfield to tackle or down the ball. One of every six plays in a game, on average, is a kicking play.

And considering the Jets are outmanned on the LOS, they will need big ST plays.

Archived