Injured Kendall appears doubtful

Sperm Edwards

Injured Kendall appears doubtful

Thursday, September 21, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Veteran LG Pete Kendall, who sat out last week's game against the Patriots with a hamstring injury, did only limited work in practice yesterday and it's unlikely he'll play on Sunday in Buffalo. He's listed as questionable.

The loss of Kendall, the Jets' best and most experienced offensive lineman, is a big blow to a unit that is struggling in the running game and is facing an attacking, swarming Bills defense that racked up seven sacks against the Dolphins last Sunday.

Former Dolphin Wade Smith, who was signed last week, may get the start. Second-year pro Norm Katnick started in place of Kendall against the Pats and was benched. G/T Adrian Jones, a natural tackle, replaced Katnik and also had problems. He was playing the position in a game for the first time.

Ex-Bills center Trey Teague (ankle), who returned to practice last week after being out since June, isn't ready. He did limited work yesterday in practice and is listed as doubtful.

Teague, who spent the previous four seasons in Buffalo, insists there are "no hard feelings" over his departure.

In other injury news, CB David Barrett (hip), WR Laveranues Coles (calf) and WR Tim Dwight (thigh) are questionable. Barrett and Coles are expected to play.

Rookie LB Anthony Schlegel, a third-round pick out of Ohio State, hasn't developed as quickly as the Jets had hoped and "has a ways to go," according to a team official. He has been inactive for the first two games while second-year free agent LB Ryan Myers has been active.

Coach Eric Mangini chuckled at being called "ornery" by WR Laveranues Coles on Monday. Coles said Mangini had little positive to say to the team following its comeback against the Patriots in a 24-17 loss.

"That's a great SAT word," Mangini joked. "Shoot, there are a lot of people that have called me ornery. Miscommunications, mistakes, things like that, they make me ornery. They do."

Bills LB Takeo Spikes, who sat out against the Dolphins with a sore hamstring, said he'll play Sunday. He's listed as questionable. ... QB J.P. Losman has no turnovers in two games. He said he has studied Jets QB Chad Pennington over the years because he's impressed with Pennington's timing, anticipation and accuracy.

The Jets yesterday signed TE Zach Hilton and released FB Jamar Martin. The club also released G/T Isaac Snell and signed DT Matt McChesney to the practice squad.

Does anyone know how he really got injured vs Tennessee? I don't remember him writhing in pain on the field - nothing that would keep him out for half that game & the next two full games (and counting).

Does anyone know how he really got injured vs Tennessee? I don't remember him writhing in pain on the field - nothing that would keep him out for half that game & the next two full games (and counting).

Kendall got hurt trying to make a tackle on the INT that was called back for pass interference.

This really blows and scares the hell out of me for Chad... I think Chad is going to take a serious beating against Buff.

After reading that & seeing the way the Bills crushed the Miami OL (& Pats OL early), the Jets might be in for a long day.

Best thing you can hope to do is establish the run against our suspect run D.

After reading that & seeing the way the Bills crushed the Miami OL (& Pats OL early), the Jets might be in for a long day.

Best thing you can hope to do is establish the run against our suspect run D.

That has been the problem for us- running the ball so hopefully that will change on this sunday.

That has been the problem for us- running the ball so hopefully that will change on this sunday.

Who is going to get the bulk of the carries? If TKO is out (I'm still not convinced that he'll play. If I were the Jets, I'd run it right at Kieth Ellison (rookie). The Dolphins never took advantage of him,

As Max said above, keep losing Skins...we need a NT, OG & RB.

Those HAVE to be the Top 3 priorities. A QB rushing ala Shawn Merriman OLB is up there as well.

As for Kendall, he's our best OLineman and we need him back in their ASAP to help this line. If he doesn't play Sunday expect for around 5 sacks from Buffalo and again, a piss poor run peformance from Barlow & Blaylock & Houston.

Archived