Early evaluations of draft class??

4HCrew

Brad Smith will get more time as the season goes on- will be solid for us. Eric Smith and Schlegel were considered reaches in the rounds they went and so far that is on target.
Agreed, but I think both have plenty of upside worthy of giving them a little time to develop. The blocking skills of Leon Washington have been a disappointment, if he can't develop that (and with his size I seriously wonder if he can) he is nothing but a return guy. Won't know about Clemens (hopefully), Tui and Posciak until next year...

Washington looks like a nice return man. I think Eric Smith got some playing time against the Pats. It was in the second half, while we were having our come back, so maybe he wasn't too bad. Not sure if he was playing because it was a blow out or somebody got dinged-maybe Barrett?

I'm sure Smith was in when the CS sat Rhodes for a couple of series following that big pass interference call.

You have two excellent starters, a good return man who may turn into a very solid 3rd down back in the mold of Bruce Harper. A potential game breaking WR and possibly the QB of the future. Today I would say that this has been one of our best drafts in a long time.

You have two excellent starters, a good return man who may turn into a very solid 3rd down back in the mold of Bruce Harper. A potential game breaking WR and possibly the QB of the future. Today I would say that this has been one of our best drafts in a long time.

I like Ferguson and Mangold, but it's a little premature to call them "excellent starters." Wait a bit. Maybe until after they have one 100 yard rushing game. If all these guys turn out it would be a real good draft. Just because they haven't proven they are stiffs, doesn't mean they'll all pan out. It's rare to give up on a pick by the 2nd week of his rookie season.

Wade Smith we just picked up is a perfect example. 3rd round pick in '03 had played TE, RT and LT at Memphis. He started all 16 games his rookie year at tackle and the Dolphins had a nice rushing attack. I'm sure everybody thought he'd only improve and that they had an "excellent starter." Next year he started a couple of games and was pulled. Never started again and now here is cut and on our squad. I'm sure Dolphin fans now judge the pick as a bust.

Brick and Mangold should be starters on our Oline for a long time.

Clemens- WHo knows, might be the QB of the future, may not be.

Schlegel will be out of the league in two years. You can't coach speed and he has absolutely none.

Smith- Backup player, adds depth.

Washington- Could turn into an excellent 3rd down...change of pace guy. I dont ever see him being the main man, though.

I like Brad Smith a lot. I just hope we find more ways to incorporate him into the offense.

Other than Mangold and D Brick what are your thoughts on the rest of the class now that the season has started? Leon? Schlegel? Smith? E Smith?

Brad Smith - Jury is still out.

Leon Washington - hideous

Schlegel - Tanenbaum reached for him in the 3rd round because Mangini wanted to run a 3-4 system. Too slow to cover anyone and the only reasonhe looked good in college was because he played next to A.J Hawk and Bobby Carpenter. A bum.

E. Smith - MIA.

Even if you agree with drafting Ferguson and Mangold in Round 1, you have to admit the rest of the Jets' draft this year was underwhelming.

Archived