Why the love affair with Chad?

Bozman

Hey, I'm just a Bills fan so my perception may be skewed, but just because Chad Pennington has great stats over the 1st two weeks of the season doesn't neccessarily mean that he's back or that the Jets passing attack is something to be feared.

My point is that in order to get his second 300-yard game, he got herculean type efforts out of Coles & Cotchery. Those 2 big plays against the Patriots garnered about 120 yards total. Take them away or, atleast take away the YAC, Chad has a nice day, but not a 300+ day.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pennington has excellent accuracy and I am happy that he is back playing for you guys (because of the 3 division teams, I hate the Jets only slightly less that I hate the Pats & Fish). But to simply declare that he is back and that teams will fear your passing game is a bit of a stretch IMO.

The fact is, your offensive line is sub-par when healthy (not that the Bills' line isn't, but I'm talking about the Jets here) and they're getting banged up only two weeks into the season. Combine that with the fact that Kevan Barlow & Derrick Blaylock are averaging less that 3 ypc, I just don't see that type of production out of the passing game coming during normal game circumstances (i.e. when the game is close in the first three qtrs).

What gives? Is Pennington really going to be able to carry the Jets on his back all season? What happens if Coles doesn't play Sunday? What happens if Pennington goes down (again)?

Hey, I'm just a Bills fan so my perception may be skewed, but just because Chad Pennington has great stats over the 1st two weeks of the season doesn't neccessarily mean that he's back or that the Jets passing attack is something to be feared.

My point is that in order to get his second 300-yard game, he got herculean type efforts out of Coles & Cotchery. Those 2 big plays against the Patriots garnered about 120 yards total. Take them away or, atleast take away the YAC, Chad has a nice day, but not a 300+ day.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pennington has excellent accuracy and I am happy that he is back playing for you guys (because of the 3 division teams, I hate the Jets only slightly less that I hate the Pats & Fish). But to simply declare that he is back and that teams will fear your passing game is a bit of a stretch IMO.

The fact is, your offensive line is sub-par when healthy (not that the Bills' line isn't, but I'm talking about the Jets here) and they're getting banged up only two weeks into the season. Combine that with the fact that Kevan Barlow & Derrick Blaylock are averaging less that 3 ypc, I just don't see that type of production out of the passing game coming during normal game circumstances (i.e. when the game is close in the first three qtrs).

What gives? Is Pennington really going to be able to carry the Jets on his back all season? What happens if Coles doesn't play Sunday? What happens if Pennington goes down (again)?

Why the love? He's one of the most accurtate passers in the NFL and he's the anti T.O.

He's a guy who is hard not to root for.

Honestly, I was happy with the way he played in week one but I wanted to see if he could play the Pats with zero picks and he did it (with the exception of the hail mary which has nothing to do with accuracy and everything to do with luck).

The fact that he's doing it with zero running game makes it that much more impressive to me. It's one thing when you can keep LBs and DBs a bit frozen on play action but there's no reason for the back 7 to worry about that right now and he's still better than 60% completions.

Chad has battled through A LOT to get where he is and a lot of us are happy to see him proving a lot of people (many of us included) wrong.

Will he stay healthy? Time will tell.

Will he throw for 300 every week...no

As soon as he loses a game for us will the majority of people on this board claim he's a worthless POS who is not an NFL caliber QB? Probably.

As soon as he loses a game for us will the majority of people on this board claim he's a worthless POS who is not an NFL caliber QB? Probably.

You're not the only team in the NFL where fans do that after a poor game by their QB, haha, thats the story of the 2005 Buffalo Bills.

Football is a team sport. We love the Jets first and foremost.

Before this season, he had only 2 300yd games in his career. He has already doubled that on a team with no running game. is only pic so far this year was on a last play hail mary that was tipped up. No career int's inside the red zone. You can't TAKE AWAY yac stats to show a QB isn't performing. If so, Marino wouldn't have 1/3 of the records he has. Remember Kelly to Reed? Kelly to Moulds? Would you say Reed and Moulds were the reason Kelly was so good? Or is it possible the QB does actually have something to do with it? Can't have it both ways

Chad Pennington played in the playoffs with a torn rotator cuff. He never once complained. The coaching staff (Herm) knew they were risking his career. He didn't blink. He just went out there and tried to get the Jets to the Super Bowl. I saw his effort in the Jets OT loss 2 years ago in Pittsburgh. And I won't soon forget how much he gave of himself.

For a franchise that hasn't seen the Super Bowl in such a long time -- a team first attitude is refreshing. He cost himself a lot of money in the process. He never once complained.

If the Jets roster was filled with a Pennington at every position this franchise would be much better off. To see a guy like that be down and out then come back, well that is why he gets all the love. Simply put because he deserves it.

Why the love? He's one of the most accurtate passers in the NFL and he's the anti T.O.

He's a guy who is hard not to root for.

Excellent post, I agree with you point for point. He seems all class, the New York media shreds a lot of guys confidence. Chad seems to feed off it, you do have to love that. Yes, he is the anti T.O. I can't argue that.

For Jets fans sake, I hope he puts together a great year and you guys beat the Pats & Fish, just not the Bills. I hate to see guys continue to get injured (Pennington/Grossman/Warner etc) when they could potentially be season changing performers.

Chad Pennington played in the playoffs with a torn rotator cuff. He never once complained. The coaching staff (Herm) knew they were risking his career. He didn't blink. He just went out there and tried to get the Jets to the Super Bowl. I saw his effort in the Jets OT loss 2 years ago in Pittsburgh. And I won't soon forget how much he gave of himself.

For a franchise that hasn't seen the Super Bowl in such a long time -- a team first attitude is refreshing. He cost himself a lot of money in the process. He never once complained.

If the Jets roster was filled with a Pennington at every position this franchise would be much better off. To see a guy like that be down and out then come back, well that is why he gets all the love. Simply put because he deserves it.

Pennington is more accurately the Anti-John Abraham

Wha6t love fest? Most Jets fans were pretty much convinced that Chad's career is over before the season started. He's had 2 good games, we'll take them for what they were and hope that it continues.

Again, nobody declared he is back, we just are happy he has played a couple good games so far. Herculean efforts by WR's are part of the game. Chad Johnson has made countless ones for Palmer, and Harrison has done the same for Manning. Does that mean their 300 yard games in the past are invalid?

I really have to wonder how you can determine that our OL is subpar when healthy when we have yet to even field our starting line this season which is likely Brick, Moore, Mangold, Kendall, and teague. Those guys have yet to step on the field as a unit so it amazes me that you can immediately detewrmine that the are subpar. Barlow and Blaylock's struggles sare directly related to that fact.

Are you seriously expecting us to tell you whether or not Pennington can carry this team after 2 games this season, given what happened to him last year? Is that even a reasonable question? If it really is, then I'll give you this answer-I would take Pennington in a sling, Ramsey, and even Clemens over Losman. Pennington is just head and shoulders better than JP, Ramsey is probably equally as bad as JP so what's the difference, and Clemens at least has some upside where as JP has been garbage all along. I had to chuckle when you guys drafted him.

Coles will be playing this weekend, I assure you. The man has been on the injured list since the day he bacame a pro and yet he never misses games. A calf injury will not keep him out.

And if by chance Pennington goes down, then we move on to the Clemens era earlier than expected. Thanks for the concern though.

Wha6t love fest? Most Jets fans were pretty much convinced that Chad's career is over before the season started. He's had 2 good games, we'll take them for what they were and hope that it continues.

ok cool.

Again, nobody declared he is back, we just are happy he has played a couple good games so far. Herculean efforts by WR's are part of the game. Chad Johnson has made countless ones for Palmer, and Harrison has done the same for Manning. Does that mean their 300 yard games in the past are invalid?

A guy having 1 knee 1/16th of an inch off the ground, then having prescence of mind to get up and run 45 yds for a score is a lot different than what Chad Johnson does.

I really have to wonder how you can determine that our OL is subpar when healthy when we have yet to even field our starting line this season which is likely Brick, Moore, Mangold, Kendall, and teague. Those guys have yet to step on the field as a unit so it amazes me that you can immediately detewrmine that the are subpar. Barlow and Blaylock's struggles sare directly related to that fact.

OK I can get with that as well, but Brick is a rookie, Moore & Kendall are JAGs and I know what Teague is - trust me, he's below average.

Are you seriously expecting us to tell you whether or not Pennington can carry this team after 2 games this season, given what happened to him last year? Is that even a reasonable question? If it really is, then I'll give you this answer-I would take Pennington in a sling, Ramsey, and even Clemens over Losman. Pennington is just head and shoulders better than JP, Ramsey is probably equally as bad as JP so what's the difference, and Clemens at least has some upside where as JP has been garbage all along. I had to chuckle when you guys drafted him.

First off, I wasn't expecting anything other than opinions. Second, you can laugh at JP all you want. Nobody even knows what he's capable of yet. So far this season, I like him. So far this season, I like Pennington more. I'll give you that. Truth is, nobody really knows what the hell JP will do this year, which is why they haven't opened up the playbook yet. You can thank brilliant Mike Mularkey for what happened to Losman last year (and Troy Vincent for JP not coming in for Bledsoe in 2004 when the Bills were 0-4). I'm going with a wait and see approach on JPL. I wanted them to take Lienart, but right now Whitner is better than advertised.

I've already stated in other posts that Ramsey is sorely missed in DC (where I currently live & work). I was merely attempting to point out that if you expect Chad to lead you guys every week like this, you might be in for a long season.

Coles will be playing this weekend, I assure you. The man has been on the injured list since the day he bacame a pro and yet he never misses games. A calf injury will not keep him out.

Thank you for the medical report Dr. Boozer

And if by chance Pennington goes down, then we move on to the Clemens era earlier than expected. Thanks for the concern though.

Good luck with the Clemens era, I'm sure it'll go as well as or better than the Browning Neagle era went.

I dont love Chad as much as others, and I bashed the hell out of him before the season. But I never bashed his tuffness.

The guy came back from 2 shoulder surgerys and is throwing the ball with more zip and accuracy since 2002. So yea, I can see why those that love Chad, love him. He's a great teammate, a great leader, and obviously a determined football player.

Just when I thought you were an okay guy, you bring that up. You are an a-hole. Alex Van Pelt.

:D AVP woulda been awesome, he broke Dan Marino's records in college LOL!

/sarcasm

He actually did break his records.

Neagle beat the Bills in Buffalo one year - I was there and it was not a good day to be a Bills fan. I did see two fat upstate women with mullets beat eachother up in the stands that day though (then again, this happens so often, it isn't really unusual)

You guys wouldn't understand. You havn't had a franchise QB since the 90's.

Chad is a leader and puts the teams needs over his anyday. He takes cap cuts, plays hurt, wins & if you havn't noticed his ball does have an extra zip this year then it ever has since he came to the NFL. Throwing for 300 yards without a running game isn't an easy thing to do with teams knowing you're going to throw the ball.

A guy having 1 knee 1/16th of an inch off the ground, then having prescence of mind to get up and run 45 yds for a score is a lot different than what Chad Johnson does.

It still happens in football and you can't just discount a QB's game because of it. Against TEN we would have won 30-0 or 30-7 at worst had it not been for Nugent missing all those kicks. Not only did it take points away from us but it gave TEN new life. Do I automatically assume that's what we should have credit for simply because that was the way it was supposed to happen and Nugent's missed kicks were freak events?

OK I can get with that as well, but Brick is a rookie, Moore & Kendall are JAGs and I know what Teague is - trust me, he's below average.

Moore is definately a JAG but not Kendall. Kendall was a heist from AZ 2 years ago and had a hell of a season. The only reason he didn't do very well last year is because he was out of position at C. Teague may be below average, but trust me when I tell you that Clement, Jones, and Katnick are nothing more than PS fodder. A below averagre starter is a marked improvement. I'm not saying our line will be outstanding when healthy this year, but it will be adequate enough.

First off, I wasn't expecting anything other than opinions. Second, you can laugh at JP all you want. Nobody even knows what he's capable of yet. So far this season, I like him. So far this season, I like Pennington more. I'll give you that. Truth is, nobody really knows what the hell JP will do this year, which is why they haven't opened up the playbook yet. You can thank brilliant Mike Mularkey for what happened to Losman last year (and Troy Vincent for JP not coming in for Bledsoe in 2004 when the Bills were 0-4). I'm going with a wait and see approach on JPL. I wanted them to take Lienart, but right now Whitner is better than advertised.

I've already stated in other posts that Ramsey is sorely missed in DC (where I currently live & work). I was merely attempting to point out that if you expect Chad to lead you guys every week like this, you might be in for a long season.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but I definately was getting a doomsday vibe from your original post. Bottom line is we don't expect to go to the playoffs this year. Herm and Bradway did far too much damage to allow any new regime to turn it around immediately. In fact, I figured we'd be 0-2 right now and having been blown out by NE. Truth be told though, you guys aren't getting to the playtoffs either. Both teams have far too many definciencies to overcome. Touche, we're equally as sucky.

Good luck with the Clemens era, I'm sure it'll go as well as or better than the Browning Neagle era went.

I would normally be insulted, but bing that I very clearly remember the Nagle era and having the pleasure of realizing that as bad as he was, he was still alot better than Losman. I really am not even trying to be harsh on you about it. Truth be told if BUF had a decent QB they would probably be perrenial playoff contenders this year and for the next few. With a D like yours and a RB like McGahee how could they not be? Unfortunately for you I think you're going to miss out on those chances with Losman at QB and the ensuing grooming period of whomever you finally wise up and draft down the line to replace him.

You guys wouldn't understand. You havn't had a franchise QB since the 90's.

Chad is a leader and puts the teams needs over his anyday. He takes cap cuts, plays hurt, wins & if you havn't noticed his ball does have an extra zip this year then it ever has since he came to the NFL. Throwing for 300 yards without a running game isn't an easy thing to do with teams knowing you're going to throw the ball.

And you guys haven't had a franchse QB since Ken O'Brien LMAO.

Seriously, the Jets have never had a "franchise QB" Here's your list: Chad Pennington, Jay Fiedler, Vinny Testaverde(who was past his prime both times), Boomer Esiason (well past his prime when he was a Jet), Glen Foley, Ray Lucas, Rick Mirer, Tony Eason, Mark Malone, Neil O'Donnell, Browning Neagle, Pat Ryan, Jack Trudeau, Brooks Bollinger etc etc etc

All the way back to Joe Namath, who was your last real franchise QB

Seriously, the Jets have never had a "franchise QB" Here's your list: Chad Pennington, Jay Fiedler, Vinny Testaverde(who was past his prime both times), Boomer Esiason (well past his prime when he was a Jet), Glen Foley, Ray Lucas, Rick Mirer, Tony Eason, Mark Malone, Neil O'Donnell, Browning Neagle, Pat Ryan, Jack Trudeau, Brooks Bollinger etc etc etc

Chad Pennington = franchise QB.

Vinny was past his prime both times? I guess that 1998 season (his best ever) was past his prime.:bwahaharoll: Fool.

I cannot wait until this game is over and you troll over to another board. Good riddance.

I just heard this trivia question and I thought it was pretty interesting. Who has more Super Bowl victories -- Browning Nagle or Jim Kelly?

Bills fans are ridiculous. Why bring up who our last real franchise quarterback was?

Shouldn't you be more concerned with How many Super Bowl victories the Bills have? Or how many Stanley Cups the Sabres have?

ZERO.

Instead of giving Jets fans a history lesson, focus on the present. God knows the city of Buffalo has NOTHING to brag about.

And you've had what, one in your entire history? You think loserman is going to be a franchise QB? Are you kidding? Pennington with one arm is more of a franchise QB than loserman is.

Bills fans are ridiculous. Why bring up who our last real franchise quarterback was?

Shouldn't you be more concerned with How many Super Bowl victories the Bills have? Or how many Stanley Cups the Sabres have?

ZERO.

Instead of giving Jets fans a history lesson, focus on the present. God knows the city of Buffalo has NOTHING to brag about.

And how old were you when the Jets won their SB?

And you've had what, one in your entire history? You think loserman is going to be a franchise QB? Are you kidding? Pennington with one arm is more of a franchise QB than loserman is.

Jack Kemp (2 AFL titles), Joe Ferguson (started for 10 yrs and while he was not a franchise QB, he was atleast a quality QB for many years), Jim Kelly (4 AFC Championships, several division titles), Drew Bledsoe (granted he blew goats)

I want JP to succeed, but there's no way of knowing what he'll do, he's not gone through the proper maturation process, that is what this season is all about. If he sucks, then who knows, draft Brady Quinn or something.

Originally Posted by Bozman viewpost.gif

You're contradicting yourself by saying we've never had a real franchise quarterback and then saying that our last real franchise QB was Joe Namath ;)

Kellen Clemens will be better than Losman when they're both in their primes.

But he still can't beat a top defensive team, as indicated by his pathetic 3-14

record.

Hey look it is the same stat again !!! god bless dude get a grip and come up with something new. You must have spent so much time digging up that stat, that you can't let it go !!!

](*,)

Archived