Sheff at 1b

Maxman

Who is interested in seeing this? It will be interesting to see if he can warrant a spot on the postseason roster. The Yankees bench in the postseason is going to be unreal.

If Sheff played 1b and Giambi DH'ed you would have Matsui, Wilson and Bernie on the bench? Oh my.

Who is interested in seeing this? It will be interesting to see if he can warrant a spot on the postseason roster. The Yankees bench in the postseason is going to be unreal.

If Sheff played 1b and Giambi DH'ed you would have Matsui, Wilson and Bernie on the bench? Oh my.

Max...you think Torre gives Melky the nod over Matsui? I think maybe Melky is the odd man out if Sheff proves he can play. fair or not.

Max...you think Torre gives Melky the nod over Matsui? I think maybe Melky is the odd man out if Sheff proves he can play. fair or not.

Can Matsui play the field every day? If so he would obviously get the nod over Melky.

Can Matsui play the field every day? If so he would obviously get the nod over Melky.

probably find out about Matsui and Sheff over the next week, then Torre will have to decide who sits.

either way, the Yankee bench with Melky, Bernie, Wilson is alot better than the Mets bench of, uh, Franco, Chavez & Woodward. And you need a good bench 10 times as much in the NL than you do in the AL. Not good for us Mets fans.

His throwing arm cant be any less accurate than Giambi's can it?

Only thing I'd be cautious to see is how he catches a throw off line from Arod, and you just know it will happen in the ALDS. Sheff is athletic, he should snag it. Then there is the tuff hoppers, which is a skill, hopefully Sheffield has that but who knows.

Either way this lineup is SICK

Damon

Jeter

Abreu

Arod

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Sheffield

Posada

GOOD LUCK TO ANY PITCHER FACING THIS LINEUP! Christ, what a lineup!

Well, Giambi just tore his wrist ligament, so I guess it could be good and Sheff can start there if Giambi has a slow recovery...

They should start Matsui over Melky, DH Giambi or Sheffield (whoever's worse at first.) and have Melky to pinch-run/field. Then they also have Wilson and Bernie on the bench. That's a ridiculous lineup. I'm scared looking at it. Good luck trying to stop that :)

Well, Giambi just tore his wrist ligament, so I guess it could be good and Sheff can start there if Giambi has a slow recovery...

They should start Matsui over Melky, DH Giambi or Sheffield (whoever's worse at first.) and have Melky to pinch-run/field. Then they also have Wilson and Bernie on the bench. That's a ridiculous lineup. I'm scared looking at it. Good luck trying to stop that :)

I think Giambi may be done this year. He has been fighting through injuries for 6 weeks now. The line-up is still vicious without him but not much different than the one that got sent packing in the division series last year.

Pitching is the key.

I hope Torre isn't that stupid. He's been to the postseason 5 times in a row now using the crap zero-Defense gameplan now and won absolutely nothing. Postseason baseball is a different animal from the regular season. You don't get 162 games, you get five or seven, and every run counts, INCLUDING those that you give up. Pitching is important and so is solid defense.

Matsui is a useless defender. I like his bat, but now that Melky has arrived, I never want to see Matsui play in the outfield again. We finally have two useful arms in the outfield, and Damon Abreu and Melky are all good defensive outfielders as well as being more than capable of being able to contribute at the plate.

Either way this lineup is SICK

Damon

Jeter

Abreu

Arod

Giambi

Matsui

Cano

Sheffield

Posada

GOOD LUCK TO ANY PITCHER FACING THIS LINEUP! Christ, what a lineup!

That lineup should be good for 8 runs. How are we going to deal with the 10 runs the other team is going to score because of our bad defense? Matsui needs to stay out of LF or WE WILL NOT WIN the World Series.

It's tough, because one of Sheffield, Giambi, Matsui, or Melky have to sit. No bad defense would give up 10 runs. Matsui and Melky are both able to perform on offense, although Matsui has more power. Melky and Matsui are both good fielders, but Melky has a stronger arm. They equal out, i's tough to not start both, but they might be forced to.

Melky and Matsui are both good fielders

I disagree with that. Melky is head and shoulders above Matsui in the field. Melky makes plays in LF that Matsui wouldn't even be close to making. Sorry.

What should happen (but won't), is that Giambi, and his bad wrist should be shut down -- let his wrist heal, and end the controversy. Honestly, its not the best situation, but especially if Sheffield can play 1B and has his hitting stroke back, we won't really need Giambi.

You don't win a title with a lineup of power hitters. Please remember that. Teams that win in the post-season has a good balance of power and small-ball.

The lineup will have Damon, Jeter, Abreu, A-Rod, Giambi (DH), Sheff (1B), Matsui (LF), Posada, Cano. But Torre will have Phillips run in for Sheff in the 7th, as well as Melky for Matsui, at the same time. Both for defensive purposes.

Wilson becomes less important if Sheff and Giambi and Matsui are able to hit, as his right handed bat is not needed, and there are no weak hitters to pinch hit for in this lineup. Phillips gets the nod, as he is the far superior fielder at 1b. Not even close between Andy and Wilson. Andy is far superior.

The bench is Phillips, Melky, Williams, Cairo and Fasano. Add these 5 to the starting 9, and you have 14. The 11 pitchers should be:

Wang, Randy, Moose, Wright - starters (in this order),

Lidle or Karstens or Rasner - Long relief (I would take either of teh kids, especially Rasner with his solid control),

Villone, Myers from the left side,

Proctor, Farnsworth, Bruney and of course MO, from the right side.

Archived