Don't look now...

shawn306

Here come the Houston Astros.

Winners of six straight the Astros have now cut the Cardinals (Losers of six straight) lead in the Central to just 2.5. The Astros open a series in Pittsburgh tonight and finish the season in Atlanta. The Cardinals have two more with Padres and then finish with 4 against Milwaukee.

Still a long shot but as usual with the Astros they always seem to make a big run. It is probably too late though this year.

This just in from Toronto. Ye Olde Towne Corporation has been overtaken by the Blue Jays for second place in the Al East.

:rl:

This has to be the ultimate embarassment for teh Bosox, to be overtaken by the Blue Jays. Jays are a decent team, but with the strife in their locker room (Hinske, then Lilly), well, the Bosox should be ashamed of themselves.

Would this be the first time in 9 seasons that the standings are not Yankees, Bosox, Jays, Birds, Rays, in that order?

where is JBF???

personally, I don't think they care if they finish 2nd or 5th. they knew their season was over after the 5 game sweep in their own building.

Correct. WTF do the Sox care if they are not in the post season.

Did the Yankees care when they got disposed of in the 1st rd last season as opposed to the 2nd? I thought the mantra was WS or nothing.

Correct. WTF do the Sox care if they are not in the post season.

Did the Yankees care when they got disposed of in the 1st rd last season as opposed to the 2nd? I thought the mantra was WS or nothing.

At least the Yankees had a shot by BEING IN the playoffs. That's more than I can say for the chowder felchers.

Astros now 1.5 behind.

Cards are collapsing in a huge way.

Should Houston somehow pull this off they could be a major problem with Clemens, Pettitte and Oswalt.

Watch out.

Agree.

Houston can't be the Wild Card, but can finish 1st. They have the horses to win a best of 5 series, and in a 7 game series, they will get 6 starts from the 3 guys you mentioned.

I believe they could be the Mets worse nightmare, especially if Pedro is not Pedro. Mets have a way better lineup, but fall quite far behind Houston in teh starting arena, especially if Pedro is not himself. There is no Wang or Mussina there for the Mets.

It has become real interesting now.

The Astros really have no room for error though. After Pittsburgh they fly to Atlanta and finish up with the Braves. The Cards host the Brewers this weekend.

Nothing in the NL is set yet.

If the Cards blow this its going to go down as one of the major collapses in history. 71/2 game lead going into the final week?

BTW, Toronto is still in third place, not second. half game out of Boston for first after losing to Detroit 4-3 yesterday.

If the Cards blow this its going to go down as one of the major collapses in history. 71/2 game lead going into the final week?

The 1964 Phils blew a 6.5 game lead with 12 to play. The Cards will blow a 7.5 game lead over Houston with 12 to play.

Yes, the worst collapse in Baseball History.

Archived