why the Jolley trade was great

bitonti

KERRY RHODES

for those that forgot

the Jets used one of those "useless" extra 6th rounders to trade up in the 4th round and snag Kerry Rhodes away from such teams as NE and BAL who were reportedly drooling for Rhodes

here we are two years later and Doug Jolley is long snapping for the Bucs... but the Jets have a future all Pro in Kerry Rhodes

Kerry Rhodes - a guy who does nothing but make game changing plays every single week!

don't forget Rhodes was brought in for visits by both Belly and Newsome - two of the most respected Gms in the league - both got cute and waited too long, the Jets pounced

day of the draft Belly was rumored to be working a deal to trade up to Green Bay's slot in round 4 - but the Jets were working a deal with the Seahawks to get the player they wanted - had things not worked out not only would the Jets not have gotten Rhodes, there's a very good chance he would haunt us for years within the division!

he's our biggest defensive playmaker - a stud safety - probably the most difficult position to scout other than QB

and who knows it probably wouldn't have happened without the Doug Jolley trade

KERRY RHODES

for those that forgot

the Jets used one of those "useless" extra 6th rounders to trade up in the 4th round and snag Kerry Rhodes away from such teams as NE and BAL who were reportedly drooling for Rhodes

here we are two years later and Doug Jolley is long snapping for the Bucs... but the Jets have a future all Pro in Kerry Rhodes

Kerry Rhodes - a guy who does nothing but make game changing plays every single week!

don't forget Rhodes was brought in for visits by both Belly and Newsome - two of the most respected Gms in the league - both got cute and waited too long, the Jets pounced

day of the draft Belly was rumored to be working a deal to trade up to Green Bay's slot in round 4 - but the Jets were working a deal with the Seahawks to get the player they wanted - had things not worked out not only would the Jets not have gotten Rhodes, there's a very good chance he would haunt us for years within the division!

he's our biggest defensive playmaker - a stud safety - probably the most difficult position to scout other than QB

and who knows it probably wouldn't have happened without the Doug Jolley trade

The way bit spins things, he could make Osama bin Laden out to be the next Ghandi.

That's a long way to rationalize that move. How about just drafting Rhodes ourselves in round 3 instead of "getting cute" ourselves and reaching for Pouha?

The only way to rationalize it is to say we were going to take Justin Miller anyway. So we ended up with the same player in Miller, at less salary, and Rhodes and Houston and Nugent (and Jolley :)) instead of the crappy player we likely would've taken in the late 2nd round plus our original late 4th.

That's a long way to rationalize that move. How about just drafting Rhodes ourselves in round 3 instead of "getting cute" ourselves and reaching for Pouha?

This is dipping into the world of imagination

why didn't the Jets draft Dan Marino and Emmitt Smith instead of Kenny Obrien and Blair Thomas? Why did they pass on tom brady 5 times?

I'm not talking about woulda coulda shoulda draft scenarios, in terms of what actually went down, there's little room to deny that if the Jets didn't make the Jolley trade they wouldn't have gotten Kerry Rhodes.

The best that you can do is rationalize the bad moves he made in the first and third rounds by saying he didn't make a bad move in the 4th round?

And your Marino & Emmitt Smith analogy is not relevant since it's a ridiclous extreme. Those guys were known to have first round talent when they were drafted. Pouha was 5th round talent (at best) as you well know as a draft expert. He was a ridiculous reach based strictly on his size. Rhodes was much more of a justifiable pick in round 3.

It is more accurate to say that Bradway screwed up in round one. He also screwed up in round three. He did not screw up in round 4. If he wanted Rhodes that badly and it required moving up 5 slots or whatever to get his man, then he would've (or certainly should've) done it with or without the Jolley trade. As it was mentioned, we did have a 6th round pick of our own. We also had a 5th round pick that we used on Maddox & could've used that to trade up instead.

You are using the events that unfolded and drawing conclusions that are not based in fact. Specifically, that if Rhodes dropped as far as he did, that Bradway wouldn't have traded up anyway for him.

To use all that to justify what is commonly accepted as a horrible draft-day trade is beneath you. I've been to draftdaddy plenty of times and I KNOW that you know better, Bit.

so basically you are saying because IN HINDSIGHT we know that Pouha and Maddox are worthless they could have picked him in the 3rd round or used the 5th to trade up... i guess that's true but that's with the benefit of hindsight which no GM had the day of the draft. Using the 5th to move up in the 4th would have been a ripoff according to the trade chart - so to say they could have done that is fantasy.

for the record our 6th round pick was used in the Pete Hunter deal - we had multiple 6ths due to compensation from FAs leaving but you can't trade compensatory picks - we needed the Oak picks as ammo to move up.

I'm only pointing out that you are using the hindsight thing as well. Because this is how the trade up to grab Rhodes went down, you are drawing the conclusion that it is the only way it could have, or would have, gone down. We had our own 5th/6th rounders to use to trade up without the Jolley trade.

Spermy and bit are making this way too confusing.

Let me cut to the chase:

The Jets traded a 1st round pick for a bust of a TE.

Hope this helps.;)

Spermy and bit are making this way too confusing.

Let me cut to the chase:

The Jets traded a 1st round pick for a bust of a TE.

Hope this helps.;)

Old Front Office....never would happen again.

Speaking of busts is Bethel Johnson still in the NFL?

Is your 4th rd kicker's job in jeopardy?

What's the over under on the number of games your 2nd rd wideout will be active this season?

Its amazing that Bit can be comepltely full of sh*t on not one but TWO boards!!!!!

Im going ot have to check JI to see if he went for the trifecta!

The trade was our #1 for Jolley, a move down of 27 spots, and an extra #6. That was a horrid trade.

The draftimg of Kerry Rhodes was a 99.999999% mutually exclusive move. if the jets wanted him THAT badly they could have and probably would have simlpy taken him earlier. To say we DON'T get him wihtout that extra 6th is a leap in ogic the size of the Grand canyon. And only done by someone totally desparate to remain "right" on an issue they were clearly WRONG abut but continued to argue anyway.

The Jolley trade was horrid...end of story.

Its amazing that Bit can be comepltely full of sh*t on not one but TWO boards!!!!!

Im going ot have to check JI to see if he went for the trifecta!

The trade was our #1 for Jolley, a move down of 27 spots, and an extra #6. That was a horrid trade.

The draftimg of Kerry Rhodes was a 99.999999% mutually exclusive move. if the jets wanted him THAT badly they could have and probably would have simlpy taken him earlier. To say we DON'T get him wihtout that extra 6th is a leap in ogic the size of the Grand canyon. And only done by someone totally desparate to remain "right" on an issue they were clearly WRONG abut but continued to argue anyway.

The Jolley trade was horrid...end of story.

But bit still thinks the move-up for DFat was a good move.;)

Spermy and bit are awesome.

I am so happy to be posting on a Jets board.

Pats suck.

I admire Pennington's arm strength. He is better than Tom Brady who is a system QB.

I also am in awe of DRob's ability to penetrate a gap. He penetrated my gap during training camp but now won't return my calls.

He is so cute.

34490.jpg

homo

The draftimg of Kerry Rhodes was a 99.999999% mutually exclusive move. if the jets wanted him THAT badly they could have and probably would have simlpy taken him earlier.

but they didn't want him that badly

if they did they wouldn't have taken Pouha

or maybe they would have taken him in the 2nd round instead of Miller if they wanted him THAT badly

they wanted other players as well, players who they thought had a chance to be good

The situation broke just right and they ended up using the extra 6th rounder acquired by the raiders to trade up and getwith Rhodes

As good as Rhodes may be bigger than that-NOBODY who runs this franchise is going to part with picks in the 1st day rounds, and they

aren't ever going to pick a kicker with one of'em. No more D-Rob( a move I admit liking at the time) and Sideline Santana(which I hated) moves.

GET ME FRESH BODIES, AND PLENTY OF'EM!

but they didn't want him that badly

if they did they wouldn't have taken Pouha

or maybe they would have taken him in the 2nd round instead of Miller if they wanted him THAT badly

they wanted other players as well, players who they thought had a chance to be good

The situation broke just right and they ended up using the extra 6th rounder acquired by the raiders to trade up and getwith Rhodes

wasn't Maddox rated higher than Rhodes coming out Bit?

actually because of the Pete Hunter deal we did not

we got 3 other 6th rounders in trades and supplemental from the league but traded the only one we could for Rhodes

It's not really fair to clip the only part of my quote that suits your flimsy argument. The sixth rounder we acquired in the Jolley trade was far from the only chip available to move up to get Rhodes. We had a 5th rounder and our full compliment of picks the following year. The fact that the actual 6th rounder that came from the Raiders was used to move up for Rhodes was more happenstance than design.

A horrific trade. Jets would have probably gotten Rhodes anyway. We traded a first round pick for an awful Tight End and a mediocre Field Goal Kicker. Nugent stinks. The guy makes Doug Brien look good.

I hated the Dewayne Robertson trade in 2003, I still hate it today. Hated the McCareins trade in 2004, still hate it today. Was Bitonti the same guy who was arguing months ago that Jolley was as good as Heath Miller? The guy the Jets would have probably gotten had they not made the trade?

Jesus Christ.

jesus_christ_PB16_l.jpg

A horrific trade. Jets would have probably gotten Rhodes anyway. We traded a first round pick for an awful Tight End and a mediocre Field Goal Kicker. Nugent stinks. The guy makes Doug Brien look good.

I hated the Dewayne Robertson trade in 2003, I still hate it today. Hated the McCareins trade in 2004, still hate it today. Was Bitonti the same guy who was arguing months ago that Jolley was as good as Heath Miller? The guy the Jets would have probably gotten had they not made the trade?

Jesus Christ.

Yea, that was bit.;)

Archived