more cuts...and workouts..

spjets

Changing of the guard: Katnik cut

Norm Katnik has gone from starting left guard to left out. In a surprising move, Katnik was waived yesterday, the Daily News has learned. LB Ryan Myers, a special-teams contributor, and OLB Trevor Johnson also were waived.

Presumably, Katnik's departure means Pete Kendall (hamstring) and backup Trey Teague (ankle) are ready to return. Katnik started two games in Kendall's absence, playing every snap in the win at Buffalo.

The Jets have three roster openings. Yesterday, they worked out four veterans: former Falcons safety Keion Carpenter (15 starts last season), former Cards fullback James Hodgins, former Titans LB Cody Spencer and former Raiders DE Ryan Riddle.

Small wonder

Rookie Leon Washington could be the answer for the Jets' sluggish running game, especially against the Colts. In their win over the Jaguars, the Colts couldn't tackle Maurice Jones-Drew, a 5-7 rookie who rushed for 103 yards on 14 carries.

The 5-8 Washington is a Jones-Drew clone, dangerously elusive. One opposing scout believes Washington could be more effective than Kevan Barlow, Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston in the Jets' scheme, which often requires the tailback to line up seven yards behind the quarterback.

"Leon will be quicker to the line of scrimmage than those other guys," the scout said. "He's not a dancer, not one of those little guys who looks to bounce it outside."

Before a disappointing senior year at Florida State, Washington was rated by this scout as a solid second-round pick. The Jets chose him in the fourth.

"He's hard to find back there because he sneaks behind the guys on pulling and trapping plays, and he's on top of the safety before you know it," the scout said.

Brickwork

The Jets drafted left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson for games like this: He'll be matched against Colts DE Dwight Freeney, who, despite a three-game sack slump, is a premier speed rusher.

"I don't think Freeney will be that big a challenge," one AFC scout said. "He'll do fine against the speed and quickness guys. It's the big, strong guys he has to worry about."

At Virginia, Ferguson was regarded as a superior athlete, not a mauler. Asked to evaluate the rookie's early showing as a run blocker, the scout said, "I think he's a really good pass protector. You can read between the lines."

Would you consider him an average run blocker?

"I'm not sure if he's that good," the scout said.

But know this: On Houston's five-yard TD run, Ferguson opened a big hole by riding Bills DT Larry Tripplett out of the play.

Dress Schlegel.

He's immovable vs. the run in short yardage situations.

He also seems to be a little immovable against the pass.

Is Carpenter here because of Mangini's disappointment with Erik Coleman?

I thought Katrik played well in week 1, although I do not recall how he graded out vs. teh Pats.

Why is he disappointed in E.Coleman? Because he had his appendix taken out? They didn't sign Carpenter, they just worked him out. They signed Hodgins and the 2 LBs. I assume they'll be working out tons of guys because this roster is far from set in stone.

Funny thing is that one guy who basically had a reserved roster spot was Monsanto Pope. Boy did he f that up.

Archived