Optical Cable - still necessary with an HDMI cable?

BigBlue

Blue...

HDMI is capable of carrying both Audio and Video. That is its main selling point.

BUT...there are other factors:

-Is the source capable of sending audio through this cable?

Things like that. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Blue has HDTV (yes a DLP!) Blue has HDMI cable. Does Blue also need an optical cable?

I believe that Blue does not need an optical cable as the signal sent by HDMI is as strong as the optical cable....plus HDMI also transmitts an audio signal as well.

LL

In the market for a new TV-preferably plamsa, 42/43 inches. I've seen the Samsung model on the other thread-quite nice. Also saw a Ioneer model for around $3900. Simple question-

EDTV or HDTV-what's the differences, costs, equipment, etc? Can I get HDTV with a EDtv? I have Directv, whcih will require an upgrade and a cable as above.

The MRs. wants to know why they call plasma TVs "monitors"-isn't that just marketing, or am I wrong and it is different from a TV(which as with most arguments with the MRs., I expect be wrong, or quitely accept the fact that she will say I'm wrong and just know in my heart I am correct!)

Any feedback welcome.

Here's what I have learned:

EDTV is sheet; basically a letterbox format that tries to be HDTV, but simply doesn't have the resolution or quality.It's not HDTV-period.

"Monitor" means merely that your plasma/LCd unit needs a tuner, whih almost any Directv or Dish network or cable box does(excpet that you may need to upgrade the box as well as your dish).Also, many plasma TVS do not include speakers or stands.

The cable in question aove sells on line for as little as $29.99.

Within HDTV formats, LCD (liquid crystal) is more "robust"(a word the Directv guy used repeatedly) format, but plasma offers a much better picture. Dire warnings about the crystals in a plasma losing their gases, while possible, are unfounded, and the technology figures to get better and cheaper. Most plasmas figure to last at least 7-10 years.

Best Buy and PC Richards salesmen are as useful as Paul Hackett after the 2-minute warning. People too lazy and too inefficient to work at DMV clearly find their careers in such places. Sorry to wake you up, pal-go back to your nap. One small place on 18th Avenue in Brooklyn basically has every store circular distributed on the planet posted on the wall with their prices for various units, which is written next to the retailers' prices. And no inventory-they call you back. Seems like a bizarre way to shop-until you go to the big retailers, which seem to act as showrooms, but not places to buy.

Kind of centering my search on a 43" HDTV plasma Pioneer model sold at Costco for $2999, and seeing where I can get it cheaper.

Any further input appreciated.

Bugg...you have done your homework and you are off to a great start. A few thoughts:

-GOB is right. EDTV is the same resolution as a DVD. This is not an option. No way do you want to handicap yourself like that. I cry when I see people walking out of Best Buy with them. They have no clue.

-If you are looking for the best picture possible Plasma is the choice. DO NOT let anyone tell you otherwise. LCD, DLP are nice and the quality has improved. But the BEST picture possible is PLASMA. Please send anyone who says otherwise here.

-Other benefits of plasma...obviously the size. They all make fun of me here for talking about my plasma. But it is now the focal point of my house.

-Burn in on plasma is possible but is exagerrated. It could happen. But not from pausing one thing for a few minutes.

-When you get this system do cut back on the sound system. You can get a nice receiver for around $300...but get nice speakers. There is nothing like surround sound.

-Not sure why they are sometimes listed as Plasma Monitors. Marketing would be my guess as well.

-I will try to research the model you listed and give you some specific feedback on it later on tonight!

Thanks, though based on Harry's (the 18th Ave. place) said Pioneer model (PLP-4312)is made specifically for Costco, and includes speakers and a stand. It's listed on Costco's website and no where else, though if I do buy it I'd just go pick it up. I'm going to make a trip to a Best Buy nearby, since they have a lot of inventory. But any input is still greatly appreciated and I haven't made the final decision yet.

As to the "monitor" thing-if you have any decent cable or satellite box, that acts as a tuner. But most appliance stores try to sell customers a tuner for the unit which you don't really need at all at the cost of several hundred dollars for basically something your box provides anyway.

Thanks, though based on Harry's (the 18th Ave. place) said Pioneer model (PLP-4312)is made specifically for Costco, and includes speakers and a stand. It's listed on Costco's website and no where else, though if I do buy it I'd just go pick it up. I'm going to make a trip to a Best Buy nearby, since they have a lot of inventory. But any input is still greatly appreciated and I haven't made the final decision yet.

As to the "monitor" thing-if you have any decent cable or satellite box, that acts as a tuner. But most appliance stores try to sell customers a tuner for the unit which you don't really need at all at the cost of several hundred dollars for basically something your box provides anyway.

If the pic looks good on the costco one then I think you are all set. Are you going to use the stand? I hung mine on the wall. I was afraid of the kids bumping into the cabinet and knocking it down.

The tuner thing sounds true though. Goes back to the whole hd ready - hd capable thing. I use a HD Set Top Box (digital cable) so it really didn't matter to me either.

Good luck with it though...

The stand looks pretty sturdy. I'd be more scared to anchor a mount in my wall. Children will be duly admonished that punishment of epic proportions will incur should any damage happen.

basically, if you have an HD cable or satellite box, you're set; no tuner is needed.

Thanks for the input.

The stand looks pretty sturdy. I'd be more scared to anchor a mount in my wall. Children will be duly admonished that punishment of epic proportions will incur should any damage happen.

basically, if you have an HD cable or satellite box, you're set; no tuner is needed.

Thanks for the input.

When I hung mine I didn't sleep for 3 days. The fact that I hung it myself left me convinced that I would screw it up and it would fall!

When we had vinyl siding put on the house I almost cried because of the banging (nails that is). It was on an interior wall so there were no problems.

But still it does make you panic a bit!

Good luck with it. Now that the Yankees are on in High Def I am LOVING life.

Archived