Herm loses another player...

GM

to this day I still can't understand why we didn't hire Marvin Lewis instead of Herman Edwards...this guy was coming off a world championship where his defense was rated as one of the best ever-and we end up with Dungy-lite

SFJ, as I recall, Woody interviewed Mo Carthon. Ted Cottrell, Marv Lewis, Herman Edwards, and John Fox for the HC job. Take Fox out of there, do you see a pattern?

This is just speculation but, I think Woody was determined to hire a black HC, because he figured it couldn't hurt when trying to schmooze NYC politicians to give the green light on the WSS.

I think he chose Herm because Herm was handpicked by Tag's, specifically from the NFL minority HC candidate program. Tag's had to give Jesse Jackson some meat, and that was it.

It's a shame because Woody could have flipped a coin between Lewis and Fox and we would have had a championship between 2001-2005. Of that I have no doubt. Both coaches won championships as defensive coordinators. Both were qualified, and both paid their dues. But Herm got the nod because of politics, and Jets fans got the shaft.

Like I stated before, Cottrell took the DC position because he figured it would eventually help him get a coveted HCing position. Little did he know that Herm was a backstabbing SOB.

SFJ, as I recall, Woody interviewed Mo Carthon. Ted Cottrell, Marv Lewis, Herman Edwards, and John Fox for the HC job. Take Fox out of there, do you see a pattern?

This is just speculation but, I think Woody was determined to hire a black HC, because he figured it couldn't hurt when trying to schmooze NYC politicians to give the green light on the WSS.

I think he chose Herm because Herm was handpicked by Tag's, specifically from the NFL minority HC candidate program. Tag's had to give Jesse Jackson some meat, and that was it.

It's a shame because Woody could have flipped a coin between Lewis and Fox and we would have had a championship between 2001-2005. Of that I have no doubt. Both coaches won championships as defensive coordinators. Both were qualified, and both paid their dues. But Herm got the nod because of politics, and Jets fans got the shaft.

Like I stated before, Cottrell took the DC position because he figured it would eventually help him get a coveted HCing position. Little did he know that Herm was a backstabbing SOB.

from what I remember about that time was the Ravens were in the SB and you can't talk to a coach who's team is still active and Woody was getting antsy that he would lose out ON Lewis and be left with the likes of a Ted Cottrel-but if he wanted an African American the best qualified at that time was Lewis.Also we don't really know without speculating what was going on between Johnson/Cross and the league office but either way we get screwed.Thankfully,THAT situation is righting itself as we type...

from what I remember about that time was the Ravens were in the SB and you can't talk to a coach who's team is still active and Woody was getting antsy that he would lose out ON Lewis and be left with the likes of a Ted Cottrel-but if he wanted an African American the best qualified at that time was Lewis.

That's the most damaging thing about all of this social engineering, affirmative action BS. It stigmatizes guys like Lewis and Romeo Crennell, who legitimately deserve an interview (and to be hired) based solely on merit, qualification, and ability. It's disgusting that guys like that are put through a dog and pony show so some fraud like Herman Edwards can take advantage of the situation and weasel his way to the front of the line.

Also we don't really know without speculating what was going on between Johnson/Cross and the league office but either way we get screwed.Thankfully,THAT situation is righting itself as we type...

Without a doubt.

This is all water under the bridge However, I refuse to suffer fools gladly, and I will not indulge Herm apologists' fairytales and lies. It's still important for some people to keep the myth alive that Herm was a positive experience in Jets history, and I'm going to do everything I can to challenge that.

[quote=Jet Moses;

This is all water under the bridge However, I refuse to suffer fools gladly, and I will not indulge Herm apologists' fairytales and lies. It's still important for some people to keep the myth alive that Herm was a positive experience in Jets history, and I'm going to do everything I can to challenge that.

that's when I talk about writers and fans with agendas JM-Leberfeld,Cannizaro-right after Herm was gone-I hate that crap-it's all about what have you done on merit not hype not PAST HISTORY (Tex) not soundbites (again) and yea they must be shown to be the frauds they are

Does anyone believe that Herm hired Teddy and Hackett? They were hired for him not by him. Herm wasn't qualified to be the Jets HC. Bradway hired the staff. To Herm's credit he survived in a position he had no business being in. I also give him alot of credit for orchestrating his out and a bigger contract with KC. I never thought he was smart enough to pull that off.

For a guy who at best should be a DB coach in the NFL he had a 5 year run as the Jets HC and parlayed it into a 4 year contract with the Chiefs. What ever you think of Herm, he has done one hell of a job taking care of himself and his family. He may not be qualified or a very bright NFL HC, but the guy apparently has a lot more street smarts than most of us give him credit for.

maybe,, INHO the Jets new owner was bullied by Tagilabue to make a minority hire. Then when he left us he was lucky that the arrogant GM in KC was in a 'power/aura' struggle with Vermeil. When Vermeil left he was intent on hiring someone who would allow him to be the 'boss' again. Herm was gonna get fired by Woody and he and Peterson buddies so it worked out well. Any success KC has this year will be due to Gunther Cunningham, not Brainiac.

Archived