Toss-up: Do Jets allow Curtis Martin to come back as starter?

SouthernJet

If he claims health and passes tests do the Jets allow him to return as a starter?

Will Martin come back as a 40th roster spot getting 3-4 carries a game?

I say they ask him to retire gracefully. We have to look at these young runners. cant let Herm disease infect Eric.

I don't think Martin will ever be a hang-on type of guy.

If he feels he can't do it he will retire. If he thinks he can go then Mangini should see what he has has left in the tank. He can't be any worse then what they have shown so far.

I just dont see the value of Martin starting under any circumstances

I don't think you are going to see Martin come back and start with 30 carries first time out.

Martin will be part of the running back by commitee and Mangini will go with the hot hand at the time.

If he can give you 10-12 carries a game that is fine by me.

At this point, what can Martin add to this "committee" of running backs we have. He won't be able to have any more of an affect than any of the other guys. Give that spot to a DB or D line guy.

Martin adds much more than the two scrubs and Houston add.

BZ

Blaylock Sucks.

Barlow has been inconsistent.

Cedric Houston won the job with his performance yesterday IMO but he's hurt (actually, has anyone heard anything on the MRI yet)?

Leon Washington is a change of pace 5-15 carry per game type back, not a starter.

If Curtis Martin comes back, and chances are he probably most likely won't, he will be the starting RB.

If he earns it.

I am in the camp that believe he needs to move on. However, if the others are not getting the job down and he is healthy enough to be effective. Yes.

I agree. He can't be any worse than what you guys have now.

If he comes back, it will be because he will be able to play, and play at a high level. He's much to classy of a guy to come back as a gimp just to milk it. I'm not betting on it, though.

Uh, isn't that precisely what he did both in '02 and '05 when he was gimpy and not playing at even an average level (let alone a high level)? And milked it all Dec '03 when we were mathematically eliminated so he could get his #'s.

I give it 50/50 that he comes back if he's physically able to. But I'm with SJ on this one. I can see only one circumstance under which this would be a good idea: more Jets RB's get hurt and we're still in a playoff hunt. Other than that, it's just dumb. He is part of the Jets' past and has no place in our future as a player.

Houston is hurt. Blaylock and Barlow are pedestrian. Washington is a rookie, and a change-of-pace back, not a starter.

Couldn't do any worse than to see what Martin has left.

I think C-Mart, if he can get healthy, will be back, but he's going to share carries at best (unless he SERIOUSLY tears it up).

You let him play, but only give him the workload that he can handle.

Uh, isn't that precisely what he did both in '02 and '05 when he was gimpy and not playing at even an average level (let alone a high level)? And milked it all Dec '03 when we were mathematically eliminated so he could get his #'s.

I give it 50/50 that he comes back if he's physically able to. But I'm with SJ on this one. I can see only one circumstance under which this would be a good idea: more Jets RB's get hurt and we're still in a playoff hunt. Other than that, it's just dumb. He is part of the Jets' past and has no place in our future as a player.

the difference being the idiot you have a picture of in your avatar SE-IF,IF he comes back I trust Mangini will only play him if he is effective and will watch him very carefully to see-if not then it's back to Houston and Barlow with a pinch of Leon washington thrown in there...

Not unless you want your offensive line to regress. Wasn't it always the case that when Martin's numbers were down that the reason was because of the crappy offensive line behind whom even Barry Sanders or Jim Brown could not make a dent?

Curtis had his day in the sun and still got his carries when his play on the field did not merit those carries. We should have been taking a long look at Cedric Houston last year after Curtis got injured... But nooooo.... we had to let the old man and his chase for a personal career milestone get in the way of the best interests of the team.

Curtis owes the Jets not the other way around.

If he claims health and passes tests do the Jets allow him to return as a starter?

Will Martin come back as a 40th roster spot getting 3-4 carries a game?

I say they ask him to retire gracefully. We have to look at these young runners. cant let Herm disease infect Eric.

Absolutley you give the starting job back to Martin. Barlow and Blaylock stink and they are not young for running backs.

Cedric Houston is nothing special. His claim to fame is getting a 3.7 ypg behind a horrific offensive line during meaningless games. Guy can't pickup a blitz and has 2nd stringer written all over him.

Absolutley you give the starting job back to Martin. Barlow and Blaylock stink and they are not young for running backs.

Barlow and Blaylock are not young? They are 6 years younger than Martin. Curtis look slow at the beginning of last year when he was healthy. He not coming back and performing at a high level. Martin's contract was redone at the vet's minimum. Read the writing on the wall. Martin will be back next year, as a coach.

Not unless you want your offensive line to regress. Wasn't it always the case that when Martin's numbers were down that the reason was because of the crappy offensive line behind whom even Barry Sanders or Jim Brown could not make a dent?

Curtis had his day in the sun and still got his carries when his play on the field did not merit those carries. We should have been taking a long look at Cedric Houston last year after Curtis got injured... But nooooo.... we had to let the old man and his chase for a personal career milestone get in the way of the best interests of the team.

Curtis owes the Jets not the other way around.

Ah, EM31 wants it posted again...

Ah, EM31 wants it posted again...

LOL Sperm. Timeless post. It truly never gets old. I am ususally somewhat understated in my praise of other posters (just ask TX!) but you were in classic form the day you penned that masterpiece.

Bad luck for Houston this week just as he seemed to be laying a claim to being the big dog amongst this somewhat indifferent pile of running backs. I hope he spends the next 2-4 weeks taking the Tiki cure for fumblitis.

Herm wasted a lot of time last year when we could have been getting a longer look at Houston. More evidence of charity for Curtis.

I see this as kind of dumb thread. There is no way that Martin comes back and you make him a starter. He has to earn it. I remember all the pre-camp threads and I was pretty much pro-Martin, but he seems done. It's possible he'd be the best back on the team. Then he should start. It's not likely and he'd have to show something. If the running game is bad cause of the line then what difference is he going to make? He didn't exactly light it up last year.

Archived