Max appreciation thread

Blackout

Here is the problem with your post.

Billy Beane has the A's in competition every year. He keeps on using his Farm System to replace his FA losses.

But he never wins. He never even wins a playoff round (maybe this year though).

His teams are competative, but lack the 1 or 2 major horses to get over the "hump" and win it all.

This year, the Mets were 1 big time pitcher away from getting over the hump. They had a team built for a WS championship. Maybe Omar did not think so in March, but he knew it by June, when he saw how weak the entire NL is, and how strong his team was. He needed to get that Big Time Pitcher to seal the deal in 2006. He needed to bring in a Zito, or even a Schmidt or Willis (who probably were never really available).

Now, with Pedro done for 2006, and who knows what the future holds. Glavine is no kid anymore, what can you realistically expect from him next year? He is sort of in the same senario the Yankees are with Randy. Zito was the guy to get. In the AL he is a upper rotation starter. In the NL, he is an ACE. He also is the guy who would have all but delivered the Mets to the promised land.

That was Max's point. In hindsight, OMAR SPIT THE BIT. And Max was right.

Please show us the inside info you have that said Beane was ready to trade us Zito. There is also no indication Willis was available or Schmidt as the Giants were in the WC race.

You guys crack me up sometimes in how you assume what conversations transpired between the Mets and A's in regards for Zito.

Newsflash, The A's were in 1st place at the trade deadline and 31 OTHER teams did not aquire Zito as well.

Just because a writer states he or she thinks they know what the price for Zito was does not make it Gospel.

No hindsight required here, you guys are grasping at straws.

man u r a useless poster,, seriously,, u r horrendous,,

u make silly bashing threads, and then when someone bases the mets u r 'polly parrott' with the 'great point' retorts,,

u really are pretty bad,,

Man I've been here since this forum started and I've been discussing all forms of baseball here

Yankees, Mets, Red Sawx, even the Royals, it doesn't matter what team it is, I'll discuss anything related to baseball because it's my favorite sport and I consider myself a baseball addict.

Unlike you I know how to spell words properly, use correct grammer and don't use coma's every other word.

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time discussing this with you, trying to teach you about baseball is like teaching Helen Keller how to talk.

Man I've been here since this forum started and I've been discussing all forms of baseball here

Yankees, Mets, Red Sawx, even the Royals, it doesn't matter what team it is, I'll discuss anything related to baseball because it's my favorite sport.

Unlike you I know how to spell words properly, use correct grammer and don't use coma's every other word.

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time discussing this with you, trying to teach you about baseball is like teaching Helen Keller how to talk.

True but you take childish shots at every non Yankee or non Blackout view point. You are fast becoming the TX of the BB forum....10% quality discussion , 90% rubbish intended to piss someone off or get a reaction.

As a Met fan- wrong assumption being stated here that Mets are built just to win this year - if you follow Minaya and what he has done-he is trying to win now and in the future with the decisions and committments he has made.

Please show us the inside info you have that said Beane was ready to trade us Zito. There is also no indication Willis was available or Schmidt as the Giants were in the WC race.

You guys crack me up sometimes in how you assume what conversations transpired between the Mets and A's in regards for Zito.

Newsflash, The A's were in 1st place at the trade deadline and 31 OTHER teams did not aquire Zito as well.

Just because a writer states he or she thinks they know what the price for Zito was does not make it Gospel.

No hindsight required here, you guys are grasping at straws.

NO NO NO. Gimme -- I was waiting for this one. This debate is not so much a knock at Omar. Because what you said might be true. For all we know he could have tried to get Zito.

This debate is for all those people who said they wouldn't have traded Lastings for Zito straight up. Agreed it probably wouldn't have been enough anyway. But so many people so don't do that deal.

Now everyone else PLEASE stop fighting. And continue talking about my baseball smarts.

As a Met fan- wrong assumption being stated here that Mets are built just to win this year - if you follow Minaya and what he has done-he is trying to win now and in the future with the decisions and committments he has made.

Faba --

I know they are trying to build for the future. But my point in May was -- what is the Mets rotation going to look like next year? Pedro going down kind of proves that.

They can make the WS this year and have MAJOR issues next year. They have a nice base of young players. But they play CF - SS - 3B.

They need the horses to get it done. Right now they don't have them. Really not trying to pick on the Mets. I am a fan of Willie and I root for him. Also think Omar has done an amazing job. But right now I am not even sure if the Mets will be favored to win the NL East next year.

NO NO NO. Gimme -- I was waiting for this one. This debate is not so much a knock at Omar. Because what you said might be true. For all we know he could have tried to get Zito.

This debate is for all those people who said they wouldn't have traded Lastings for Zito straight up. Agreed it probably wouldn't have been enough anyway. But so many people so don't do that deal.

Now everyone else PLEASE stop fighting. And continue talking about my baseball smarts.

Absolutely agree but if this isn't a shot (without supporting info) at Omar, I shouldn't be reading "Omar spit the bit"....in hindsight no less.

The worst thing the Mets did was call up Milledge because his struggles, like Melky last year, completely deflated his trade value.

EDIT: Also Max not sure why todays MET blueprint is considered "next years" team or pitching staff.

Yankees, Mets, Red Sawx, even the Royals, it doesn't matter what team it is, I'll discuss anything related to baseball because it's my favorite sport and I consider myself a baseball addict.

again, your silly agendas overshadow any knowledge u may have,,

i write it off as u still bein a kid

agree Faba,, it is astounding that some posters have that mindset..

very video game mentality

Absolutely agree but if this isn't a shot (without supporting info) at Omar, I shouldn't be reading "Omar spit the bit"....in hindsight no less.

The worst thing the Mets did was call up Milledge because his struggles, like Melky last year, completely deflated his trade value.

EDIT: Also Max not sure why todays MET blueprint is considered "next years" team or pitching staff.

I brought up next years team because they have rotation issues. Getting Zito would have been one less off season concern.

I know people write that Omar screwed up. But as you said, there is no way to tell. We can blast the fans that said they wouldn't do a trade like that though.

And cut me some slack. I have back off on the Kazmir jokes, lol.

Notice how clever Max got in his warning combined with his bragging.

I brought up next years team because they have rotation issues. Getting Zito would have been one less off season concern.

I know people write that Omar screwed up. But as you said, there is no way to tell. We can blast the fans that said they wouldn't do a trade like that though.

And cut me some slack. I have back off on the Kazmir jokes, lol.

No problem. Watch the Boras contract negotiations this winter in regards to Zito.

Kazmir was shut down in August so he'd be of no help right now.

I don't see any difference in the Yanks-Mets rotation issues for next year other than you have Wang.

But right now I am not even sure if the Mets will be favored to win the NL East next year.

how can u make that statement knowing Mets , like yankees, will always be huge players in free agent market ..

big money owners have shown they arent scared of luxury tax

agree Faba,, it is astounding that some posters have that mindset..

very video game mentality

Yep, and I also agree with what faba said:

if you follow Minaya and what he has done-he is trying to win now and in the future with the decisions and committments he has made.

Could that also descibe Mangini's mindset?

I don't see any difference in the Yanks-Mets rotation issues for next year other than you have Wang.

Randy and Pedro are pretty much in the same boat as far as fragility goes

Moose > Glavine

We've got Wang

and pretty soon we'll have this man:

PhillipHughes.jpg

and i'm sure we'll sign a decent FA because Pavano won't be able to pitch in 07

SouthernJet --

Stop dancing. Imagine that it is June and the Mets have a trade offer on the table. Lastings for Zito straight up. Would you make that trade?

no,,

i am not a big fan of trading young 5 stars when i have a owner that will shell out free agent money,,

i would rather get a free agent who has proven he can pitch in NYC jungle

would it cost me this year, ,absolutely (unless milledge is a freak star in playoffs)..

but i dont care , i would rather lose to dodgers and have a consistent playoff contending team for years

No problem. Watch the Boras contract negotiations this winter in regards to Zito.

Kazmir was shut down in August so he'd be of no help right now.

Moose is younger than Glavine so the odds are a bit better there. And Wang is the Yankees #1 starter. So that is a pretty big difference.

no,,

i am not a big fan of trading young 5 stars when i have a owner that will shell out free agent money,,

i would rather get a free agent who has proven he can pitch in NYC jungle

would it cost me this year, ,absolutely (unless milledge is a freak star in playoffs)..

but i dont care , i would rather lose to dodgers and have a consistent playoff contending team for years

Alrighty then. You should hire Herm to coach 3rd base.

Two guesses on the author of this satement regarding Giambi:

Everybody on the entire planet counted this guy out after steroids were officially tested for in 2004, and somehow he’s not only passed all his drug tests, he’s still hitting 35 home runs a season and walking 100 times.

Since when is testing clean a accomplishment?

Hey Max.....would you feel better with Zito heading to the motor city this w/end?.

No I would prefer a 43 year old broken down Randy Johnson. What kind of question is that? Cmon of course I would want Zito on the Yankees.

But I am a realist. Because of revenue sharing there is only so much the Yankees can do. That is what the Yankees are all about. Playing the hand they were dealt.

The path you are rooting for will get in the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. The path I was talking about would win Championships.

every year,, no way,,

you have to blend youth and free agents,,Mets werent in postion yet to get rid of one of few young stars,,

I am happy with this year and the future looks bright with Omar and Wilpons wallet,,

every year,, no way,,

you have to blend youth and free agents,,Mets werent in postion yet to get rid of one of few young stars,,

I am happy with this year and the future looks bright with Omar and Wilpons wallet,,

I predict that the Mets don't make the playoffs next year. I hope they do. I love Willie. But I disagree with what you see. Nothing is guaranteed.

I predict that the Mets don't make the playoffs next year. I hope they do. I love Willie. But I disagree with what you see. Nothing is guaranteed.

I trust what Omar has done,, thank goodness he didnt sell the farm for fixes he can get for free in free agency

I see the Mets getting ATLEAST the wild card next year, Reyes is the man, hes only gonna get better

No I would prefer a 43 year old broken down Randy Johnson. What kind of question is that? Cmon of course I would want Zito on the Yankees.

But I am a realist. Because of revenue sharing there is only so much the Yankees can do. That is what the Yankees are all about. Playing the hand they were dealt.

like throw a boat load of money at him over the winter? ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived