Yankees to get new stadium?

faba

Report: Yankees and local governments near deal for new stadium

April 16, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Yankees are close to reaching an agreement with city and state governments to build a new stadium, the Daily News reported Saturday.

Citing unnamed sources, the newspaper reported that lawyers from the city, state and team are completing a ``memorandum of understanding'' and that an announcement is expected around May 1.

While government and team officials did not comment directly about plans or the pending agreement, the newspaper said they did confirm that they are in the final stages.

``We're working very closely with the city and the state and trying to finalize our current plan,'' Yankees president Randy Levine told the Daily News. ``We expect to announce it in the near future, and we hope to break ground in 2006 and be ready to play in 2009.''

The new stadium will be built just north of the existing facility in the Bronx, and is designed to seat 50,800. That's smaller than the current capacity of 57,478, but the new ballpark will have more luxury suites.

The newspaper, citing officials familiar with the plans, reported that the new stadium will be comprised of two separate structures: an exterior wall, designed to replicate the original Yankee Stadium built in 1923, and the interior stadium itself.

The stadium construction will cost approximately $800 million and will be fully paid for by the team. The city and state will spend $300 million to build a new commuter rail station, improve parking, and create parkland along the nearby waterfront.

The new stadium will feature copper lattice work around its roof, much like the 1923 stadium. The new facility will also have expanded retail and concession areas.

I want to know how is the state and city going to put up 300 million dollars for this

The Yankees made the Jets look silly. Press release = Oh yeah we are getting a new stadium.

The Jets flounder around fighting for years.

Big differences obviously. The Yankees are paying for theirs for the most part. And they are building in an area nobody else wants to be in.

Yankee Stadium has so much history, why get a new stadium?
cash money...i'm not in favor of a new stadium. it's more that i think a new one will be built, one way or another.

If they do indeed get a new one, they better leave the current one open as a museum type of thing
that would be amazing. i mean could'nt yankee stadium be considered a national monument & be in titled to protection??

Archived