Daily News: Torre Fired, Lou Piniella to be named Manager

uart

Yanks will be one and done again if Pinella is the manager.

BAD BAD hire, if true.

I agree. There is about to be a Youth Movement in the Bronx, and Girardi is the man to lead it. Piniella might just want to keep ARod, one of his guys, and frankly, that's not good for us -- I like ARod, I think he'll eventually perform in the postseason again, but he doesn't have chemistry with Jeter and the rest of the team. We need chemistry as much as anything.

As a baseball fan, i can say Pinella being hired will RUIN the yanks...Pinella hates the young kids...he is pro old vets! So forget about a youth movement with pinella. Also, pinella is firey and that wont play well with A-rod Giambi and other soft type players.

They should let Torre run the ship till the end of his contract.

LL

Torre hasn't been much for the youth movement either, though. Ultimately we'd be getting a bigger ego, but not much of a managerial upgrade. Girardi is the only manager on the market that I like....

Unless Don Mattingly is promoted. I dunno what he'd be like as a manager, but I gotta think he'd get the respect of his players, anyway.

I really hope this happens. Not only do the Yanks get a ****ty manager, but it means the Cubs can't hire him.

Although, what if the Yanks got Dusty Baker? That would be fun, wouldn't it? With madmike telling me how he got his team to the '02 WS and ignoring the past four years? Oh man, I would almost be willing to take Pinella just to ensure the Yanks get Dusty. Because, seriously, is Joe Girardi gonna turn 60 wins into 100 by himself? **** no. Might as well have some high class comedy!

This will be the BIGGEST mistake Steinbrenner ever makes. I can tell you I will be ticked off beyond belief. The biggest slap in the face to a great manager that brought us a dynasty. Did he all of the sudden forget how to manage ? Bullfawking crap ! Pinella is a pile of dirt that I don't want to see in my teams dugout. Those of you that are older fans like I am, get ready for the 80's all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeter looks to play for another team. I don't blame him.

Lou wouldn't be a bad fit here.

There was no hunger in the Yankees dugout. No passion. The two best hitters on the Yanks in the ALDS were Jeter and Posada, two of the late 90's dynasty leftovers. There is a 3rd leftover who plays with passion, but they couldn't get the ball to Mo late in games 2-4.

Lou is the anti-Joe. He won't coddle ARod like Joe did. You could see passion in the Tigers dugout, and in the Mets dugout, too. Even in the first game of the series, you saw smiles on the Yankees faces, but if wasn't the same. It was business as usual, ho hum. The team of the late 90's had it, but the teams of '02-'06 didn't.

Joe did a tremendous job here, he will be missed, and he deserves the HOF. But I welcome change.

Wow a few Daily News writers say that Joe is gone. I would go Girardi myself. But I don't think Lou would be a bad fit. Girardi would be great if they could start this thing over. BUT -- they can't.

Johnson - is owed 16 million. Will he retire and take an injury settlement of some sort after the bak surgery? If not they are stuck with him.

Giambi - he is back because of his contract.

ARod - Can be traded but it is up to him. But be careful after all he is the best player of all time stats wise.

Sheff - gone.

Mussina - how much will he want? He hasn't won squat. I don't see them getting a contract done with him at his age.

The biggest knock I can make on Pinella is how he handles the pitching staff. Giradi might be better in that regard. And that is certainly the # 1 facing this team.

• 8 months later...

BUMP

If after this news broke, I told you the Yankees would be at .500, 70 games into the 2007 season, would you still want Torre around? I know the Yankees have been ridiculously snake bit by injurys (just like last year), but this team is S-O-F-T to the core.....

Torre is a slouch. He's done after 2007. And in reality, he should have been fired after 2006 (really should have been fired after 2004).

BUMP

If after this news broke, I told you the Yankees would be at .500, 70 games into the 2007 season, would you still want Torre around? I know the Yankees have been ridiculously snake bit by injurys (just like last year), but this team is S-O-F-T to the core.....

Torre is a slouch. He's done after 2007. And in reality, he should have been fired after 2006 (really should have been fired after 2004).

Barton you suck !!!! :P

BUMP

Blame Cashman not Torre. Torre didn't royally F up this roster. Torre is a bad manager but this isn't his fault.

Have to agree. Not sure how Cash has survived this long. Seriously.

Funny that in the offseason when I was very down on some of the moves that cashman made that have blown up in their face, you and many others here were telling me how stupid I was...

Blame Cashman not Torre. Torre didn't royally F up this roster. Torre is a bad manager but this isn't his fault.

Both of them have been bad. But Cashman not as responsible for the losing IMO. It is not his job to rally the troops, thats on Torre. And its not Cashmans fault we had to start about 20 different pitchers in 2006.

Now, if you can tell me Igawa was a Cashman signing, then I'd agree that he's definitetly an idiot, but lets not forget the great things Cashman has done in the past to help win some championships. Also, the new training staff Cashman brought in - IDIOTIC MOVE, fireable offense even. That cost us Phil Hughes, Matsui, Mussina and Wang for some time.

The only reason I would be hesitant to fire Cashman, would be if the new GM would trade away our big pitching prospects for a short fix. We know Cashman wont do that, but we dont know somebody else wont, and that worries me. Otherwise, I'd let 2007 finish out (maybe we get lucky, sneak in and win the whole thing) but if we do not, Cashman and Torre are definitetly gone I believe, and thats not necessarily my idea, but thats what I think would happen IMO.

Maybe it would be time for Stick Michael to get the GM job in 2007, he says he wants to be a GM again and we do know he values the farm system (not all GMs do). He built the dynasty team. Cashman added to it, but Stick built it.

Both of them have been bad. But Cashman not as responsible for the losing IMO. It is not his job to rally the troops, thats on Torre. And its not Cashmans fault we had to start about 20 different pitchers in 2006.

Now, if you can tell me Igawa was a Cashman signing, then I'd agree that he's definitetly an idiot, but lets not forget the great things Cashman has done in the past to help win some championships. Also, the new training staff Cashman brought in - IDIOTIC MOVE, fireable offense even. That cost us Phil Hughes, Matsui, Mussina and Wang for some time.

The only reason I would be hesitant to fire Cashman, would be if the new GM would trade away our big pitching prospects for a short fix. We know Cashman wont do that, but we dont know somebody else wont, and that worries me. Otherwise, I'd let 2007 finish out (maybe we get lucky, sneak in and win the whole thing) but if we do not, Cashman and Torre are definitetly gone I believe, and thats not necessarily my idea, but thats what I think would happen IMO.

Maybe it would be time for Stick Michael to get the GM job in 2007, he says he wants to be a GM again and we do know he values the farm system (not all GMs do). He built the dynasty team. Cashman added to it, but Stick built it.

You can't rally the troops if the troops are just not that good.

The Daily News is reporting that Steinbrenner is planning to fire Torre and replace him with Lou Piniella (instead of Joe Girardi?). I hope this isn't true.

Without a link, I call bull****. There's nothing about it on their website.

Funny that in the offseason when I was very down on some of the moves that cashman made that have blown up in their face, you and many others here were telling me how stupid I was...

Funny how I called for Cashman to be fired like 6 years ago.

Regardless Randy Johnson had to go. It was that simple. But let's just let that dead horse lay still for a little while. Maybe next week when things settle down we can kick him around the parking lot for a few hours or so!

Funny how I called for Cashman to be fired like 6 years ago.

Regardless Randy Johnson had to go. It was that simple. But let's just let that dead horse lay still for a little while. Maybe next week when things settle down we can kick him around the parking lot for a few hours or so!

I wasn't going to say anything about Johnson going on the DL this week with a herniated disc in his back.

Randy Johnson with a herniated disk > the crap cashman got for him.

That might be true. But Randy Johnson being off the team saved them a lot of money that enabled Cashman to waste it elsewhere!

I think that Johnson will have a much better year. As he's doing right now.

He's currently on the DL with a bad back (WHAT A SHOCKER!!) and he has a 3.52 era in the NL

Clemens had a 2.30 era last year in the NL.

Clemens is 5X the pitcher Randy Johnson is, as it stands right now in their careers.

Clemens will have a better league adjusted ERA than Randy Johnson in 2007. Guaranteed.

Archived