When Cooler Heads Prevail..........

JonEJet

Cash isn't going anywhere either

The players are the one's to blame....they didn't score a run for 17 straight innings

Pathetic showing

6 years without a WS. And in 2003, 2004, 2005 and now 2006 the Yankees have lost to teams with inferior talent and showed no life.

Torre takes the blame on that one. This team needs a different manager, with Arod and Randy getting kicked off the team.

George buys out the final year of Torre's deal. Joe calls a press conference and retires.

Changes come but how many ?

1) Sheff = gone

2) Mussina = gone unless he takes a one year deal

3) A-Rod = gone. A-Rod can say what all he wants about how he wants to stay but if the opportunity for him to go he jump all over it.

I won't be suprised if Melky goes as well. If A-Rod goes they may have to put Melky in there as well to make the deal go through.

You heard it hear first...right from the mouth of JonEJinx.

Joe Torre is a dead man. Expect fat george to blindfold poor old Joe, put the barrel to his brainstem and pull the trigger, as early as today?

Sorry to say, but JBF's deadon and JEJ's jinx strikes again.

6 years at this prices with nothing to show for it means somebody has to go. It's now beyond embarrassing. And it has to be asked-why was A-rod allowed to be pilloried in SI with Torre himself even talking to Tom Verducci? What happened to "what's said in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse" when Giambi told the meida he told Torre to get on A-rod? Why didn't Torre demand Jeter have A-Rod's back? All fine and good to keep talking about the team as a family. It clearly hasn't been. And if the idea is to win, we needed A-Rod to succeed. Somebody has to answer for that. A line got crossed with that, totally different from Ruben Sierra and Raul Mondesi crying. it's the first time dirty laundry got aired out by the core of the team with Torre joining in.

And that somebody as the same guy who didn't demand Philip Hughes be brought up in August, and mismanaged the bullpen despicably again.

Ron Villone's ERA on 8/1-2.04;

Ron Villone's ERA at the end of the season-over 5.

And above all, he's been here 11 years. It's time. You need a fresh set of eyes and a message ahs to be sent that this comfortable life is over unless they produce. And produce means at least a pennant and then some.

One thing everyone must know if it's Piniella-A-rod is his boy. So he's going nowhere.

I wasn't saying it we don't need a change....just think that Joe will finish his deal

agree,,

I actually think it may be more of a chemistry situation,,dominating for 162 games is one thing,,

but when the playoffs start emotion is brought into the factor MUCH MORE than in regualr season,,we havent seen a lot of 'gee whiz'. youthfull passion from Yanks during playoff time, you can only take that business like manner so far in sports..

Youthful passion is what I thought that Melky brought to the table

I think Sheff is a fabulous player, but it's time for him to go

I hate to say it, but Matsui may need to hit the road as well

u r probably right on your assessments,,

let cashman get excellent role players without worrying about marquee name attraction,,yanks dont need marquee names to sell tickets i assume , do they?

let cashman get excellent role players without worrying about marquee name attraction,,yanks dont need marquee names to sell tickets i assume , do they?

Yanks need a winner

If it means signing Kenny Rogers again, so be it

Cash needs to have a fabuolous offseason.....you and I know the Yanks are close....a few Pro's must go, with some youth brought in...ie Melky

Yanks need a winner

If it means signing Kenny Rogers again, so be it

That kind of thinking-signing some old, marginal washed-up starter coming off a decent season-is exactly how we got here. That above everything else has to stop. If you're going to get pitching, get it under 30. It's why how they let Beckett(walks and all) or Penny go on the market without making an offer is a disgrace. Either trade for or sign a young starter or develop them. Bring up Hughes.

6 years without a WS. And in 2003, 2004, 2005 and now 2006 the Yankees have lost to teams with inferior talent and showed no life.

Torre takes the blame on that one. This team needs a different manager, with Arod and Randy getting kicked off the team.

I don't think the Red Sox had inferior talent than the Yankees in 2004. If anything, the Red Sox had the better than that year and maybe even 2003.

That kind of thinking-signing some old, marginal washed-up starter coming off a decent season-is exactly how we got here. That above everything else has to stop. If you're going to get pitching, get it under 30. It's why how they let Beckett(walks and all) or Penny go on the market without making an offer is a disgrace. Either trade for or sign a young starter or develop them. Bring up Hughes.

Whatever it takes dude...if that means signing up a few tomoatos, coupled with a few potatos, I don't care

Just fukkin win this thing before jeter gets too old

Whatever it takes dude...if that means signing up a few tomoatos, coupled with a few potatos, I don't care

Just fukkin win this thing before jeter gets too old

good point on a very classy Jeter,,it would be nice for him to have a nice run before driving off in sunset

I don't think the Red Sox had inferior talent than the Yankees in 2004. If anything, the Red Sox had the better than that year and maybe even 2003.

I put that more under the "showed no life" category.

The ball was in Riveras hand in the 9th inning game 4, so I cant kill Torre over that. But the next 3 games the yankees acted like clowns.

I agree. The youth movement starts now. No more aging Mercenaries, we've got enough. Find trades for Matsui and ARod, cut Sheff loose. Maybe bring in Barry Zito and try to resign Mussina.

Our needs:

3B (if we can trade ARod)

1B

2-3 SP

At least one hotshot future closer for Mo to start Mentoring.

We should fill as much as possible from within, trade for good young players to fill the rest.

---

Jeter is the only player who really shows any excitement on the field. Maybe a little from Damon. We need more youth to get the old guys energized.

I'll probably go to more games if we put a real team together with role players.

Last game I went to, I got my tickets free from Mariano Rivera though, so I guess I didn't really contribute monetarily.

Torre is the manager and at the end of the day he has to be held accountable. You cant exonnerate him from the past few years of embarrassments then give him credit for winning 4 world series. You cant have it both ways. If you give him credit for winning, blame him for the last few years.

Its just time for a change and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Torre was a great fit for those world series teams. Those guys were true-professionals, self-motivated and they were player/managers on the field. When they were up 2-0 in the count they knew not to swing at a ball 7 inches off the plate. They sacrificed for eachother. Torre was never a great in game manager, but he was perfect for thatr team because he brought order and structure and the players love dhim.

This is a different team and needs a different type of leader. I dont know if they need to total polar opposite in Pinella, I can easily see Pinella coming here and trying to put AROD at SS or something stupid like that, but they need more of a vocal, kick in the pants manager.

agree,,

I actually think it may be more of a chemistry situation,,dominating for 162 games is one thing,,

but when the playoffs start emotion is brought into the factor MUCH MORE than in regualr season,,we havent seen a lot of 'gee whiz'. youthfull passion from Yanks during playoff time, you can only take that business like manner so far in sports..

Thats exactly what I've been saying for the last few days.

Too many professionals,not enough ball players.

nah, Matsui would make a good DH

granted im not too big on giambi*'s defense, maybe we can rest him the way the giants rest bonds* (like a catcher)

We should get rid of:

A-Rod

Giambi

Matsui

Sheffield

Randy Johnson

Carl Pavano

and maybe Jaret Wright

Joe Torre

Suzyn Waldman

Kyle Farnsworth

I know that's not going to be easy, but they should try and get at least some of those people out. A-Rod's making too much mon ey and he's not backing it. It's pathetic how a guy that's making more than 55 times less money than him outperforms him. (The guy on the Tigers.) Torre needs to go, he's mishandling the bullpen and just simply makes bad managerial moves.

After we get rid of those players, we will need a:

3B We don't need a great one, just a solid young role player who is good at defense, and preferably quick.

SP Barry Zito

SP Matsuzaka

DH Once again, he doesn't need to be great, just a decent hitter with a decent average, that's preferably young.

Setup Man: A solid guy, preferably young, who can get the job done.

Relief Pitchers: We need 1 more solid long reliever, because otherwise we'll end up tiring out Villone again.

For the 3B and DH, we can always call up a minor-leaguer or

Then once we do that, our lineup is like this: (Not in any particular order)

CF Johnny Damon

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

C Jorge Posada

RF Bobby Abreu

1B Craig Wilson

3B __________ (possibly Miguel Cairo)

DH __________ (possibly Andy Phillips)

LF Melky Cabrera

Then our pitching rotation is like this:

SP Barry Zito

SP Chien-Ming Wang

SP Matsuzaka

SP Philip Hughes

SP Cory Lidle

RP Brian Bruney

RP Mariano Rivera

RP Ron Villone

RP Mike Myers

RP Scott Proctor

RP _________ (free agent or guy through trade)

I think that's a very solid team, and we have decent depth with Kevin Thompson, Nick Green, Aaron Guiel, Kevin Reese, and Andy Cannizarro all battling to make the team as backups.

All this won't happen, so don't even bash me about that. This is just what I think the Yankees should do, but they of course won't.

Out of your free agents, you should let Villone go, cause he sucks, don't get sucked into resigning him cause of half of a fluke year. Him sucking the second half is more of him just not being a very good pitcher than him getting tired out. You should let Craig Wilson go, cause I hate to see him in pinstripes and he's a lot better with a beard, and sheffield, wright, and lidle should be gone too. Dotel has had an off year, but you should probably resign him if you can. If Mussina and Bernie Williams come back, you should sign them for a lot cheaper (obviously).

You've still got Pavano for two years, and his value isn't that high, so you should hang onto him unless you find some sucker GM to trade with you (the Phillies are dumb enough if you can convince them). You've got Randy Johnson for another year too. If you trade A-Rod, then I think you have to keep either Giambi or Matsui, you could probably get away with trading one of them depending on what you got in return. If you keep them both, which is probable, then you've got:

CF- Damon

SS- Jeter

RF- Abreu

1B- Giambi

DH- Matsui

2B- Cano

C- Posada

LF- Cabrera

3B- Huff/Bellhorn? or maybe you can get one back in a trade. Blalock or Ramirez?

Nothing wrong with that.

Too bad you can't have even more of a helping hand with a 2nd DH though, cause Giambi's defense sucks, and with Matsui playing LF, there isn't a spot for Cabrera.

We should get rid of:

A-Rod

Giambi

Matsui

Sheffield

Randy Johnson

Carl Pavano

and maybe Jaret Wright

Joe Torre

Suzyn Waldman

Kyle Farnsworth

I know that's not going to be easy, but they should try and get at least some of those people out. A-Rod's making too much mon ey and he's not backing it. It's pathetic how a guy that's making more than 55 times less money than him outperforms him. (The guy on the Tigers.) Torre needs to go, he's mishandling the bullpen and just simply makes bad managerial moves.

3B We don't need a great one, just a solid young role player who is good at defense, and preferably quick.

SP Barry Zito

SP Matsuzaka

DH Once again, he doesn't need to be great, just a decent hitter with a decent average, that's preferably young.

Relief Pitchers: We need 1 more solid long reliever, because otherwise we'll end up tiring out Villone again.

CF Johnny Damon

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

C Jorge Posada

RF Bobby Abreu

1B Craig Wilson

LF Melky Cabrera

SP Barry Zito

SP Chien-Ming Wang

SP Matsuzaka

SP Philip Hughes

SP Cory Lidle

RP Brian Bruney

RP Mariano Rivera

RP Ron Villone

RP Mike Myers

RP Scott Proctor

I think that's a very solid team, and we have decent depth with Kevin Thompson, Nick Green, Aaron Guiel, Kevin Reese, and Andy Cannizarro all battling to make the team as backups.

All this won't happen, so don't even bash me about that. This is just what I think the Yankees should do, but they of course won't.

a full season of randy johnson > a full season of cory lidle

and why get rid of Giambi*? He's one of the top DH's in baseball. Hes' not Hafner/Ortiz/Thome/Thomas but he's the best thing available.

a full season of randy johnson > a full season of cory lidle

and why get rid of Giambi*? He's one of the top DH's in baseball. Hes' not Hafner/Ortiz/Thome/Thomas but he's the best thing available.

I suppose you're right. We probably should actually keep Giambi, I was getting a little over my heads with all the moves. With RJ, I guess he could be the fifth pitcher for a year and then move on to Lidle or a FA. I just can't stand Randy's inconsistencies, at least you know what you're getting with Lidle. The fifth spot is a toss-up, but of course RJ would get it out of favoritism and of past play.

We should get rid of:

A-Rod - To Fla for Miggy

Giambi - not gonna happen, he's the DH.

Matsui - Trade him to Seattle. Ichiro wants to play CF, so they're looking for a power-hitting corner OF, and they've got a hard-on for Japanese super-stars. Felix Hernandez could be a target for him, but if not, maybe another young arm or prospects.

Sheff - Option not picked up. Sayonara.

Randy Johnson - no way. Why eat his contract? He's a great pitcher if he's in the bottom of the rotation. Still has some wins left in his aching bones and he can teach the young guys a few things.

Carl Pavano - Not even worth rehabbing. He's busted.

and maybe Jaret Wright - If Jaret makes the rotation next season, he better be holding a place for Philip Hughes to take by midseason.

Joe Torre - Do not fire Joe

Suzyn Waldman - and John Sterling, and MAYBE Michael Kay (and the ESPN guys)

Kyle Farnsworth -- nah. Keep him, alternate him with Proctor in the 7th inning. We need a new set-up man, someone to be the eventual successor to Mo.

Torre needs to go, he's mishandling the bullpen and just simply makes bad managerial moves.

Remember when he kept going to Felix Heredia? I wanted to cry every time Heredia came out of the pen.

3B -- I really think we need to find a way to get the Miggy Cabrera deal done.

SP Barry Zito -- WERD, Zito would be a HUGE addition to the top of our rotation, if we keep Mussina around a top three of Wang, Zito and Mussina would be HOT.

SP Matsuzaka -- I'm curious, but how well would he fit with the team? Definitely take a look at him though.

DH -- I think we're stuck with Giambi

Setup Man: Someone who can take a few years and learn to close by setting up Mariano.

And what about 1B? Wilson? I'm okay with Wilson or Guile settling in at first, if they're going to be part of a new mentality.

CF Johnny Damon

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

C Jorge Posada

RF Bobby Abreu

1B Craig Wilson

LF Melky Cabrera

Make the 3B Cabrera and I'm all over that -- but lets come to terms with Giambi as the DH until his contract expires.

SP Barry Zito

SP Chien-Ming Wang

SP Matsuzaka

SP Philip Hughes

SP Cory Lidle

RP Brian Bruney

RP Mariano Rivera

RP Ron Villone

RP Mike Myers

RP Scott Proctor

I think it will look more like:

SP Barry Zito

SP Chien-Ming Wang

SP Matsuzaka OR Mussina

SP Randy Johnson

SP Cory Lidle/Jaret Wright eventually giving way to a midseason call-up of Philip Hughes.

Bernie could be back as a backup. I think Andy Philips has a chance to make the team again. Cairo should be around, etc.

Funny you say that because I have always thought/wondered the same thing.

But Matsui is a class act all the way, and pretty clutch.

Don't get me wrong, the man shows up and plays baseball, but I think him and ARod are bad chemistry or at least chemistry-neutral, and the most obvious guys to move on.

George buys out the final year of Torre's deal. Joe calls a press conference and retires.

Changes come but how many ?

1) Sheff = gone

2) Mussina = gone unless he takes a one year deal

3) A-Rod = gone. A-Rod can say what all he wants about how he wants to stay but if the opportunity for him to go he jump all over it.

I won't be suprised if Melky goes as well. If A-Rod goes they may have to put Melky in there as well to make the deal go through.

good post & I hope joe is able to retire. rj needs to go & I hope melky is able to stay.please be gone a rod

We should get rid of:

A-Rod

Giambi

Matsui

Sheffield

Randy Johnson

Carl Pavano

and maybe Jaret Wright

Joe Torre

Suzyn Waldman

Kyle Farnsworth

SP Barry Zito

SP Matsuzaka

CF Johnny Damon

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

C Jorge Posada

RF Bobby Abreu

1B Craig Wilson

LF Melky Cabrera

SP Barry Zito

SP Chien-Ming Wang

SP Matsuzaka

SP Philip Hughes

SP Cory Lidle

RP Brian Bruney

RP Mariano Rivera

RP Ron Villone

RP Mike Myers

RP Scott Proctor

The above will finish behind the Orioles, and be lucky to win more than 72-75 games.

Archived