Andy Pettite-vs-Kevin Brown

Jet/BosoxFan

Let's put aside all smack-talking and forget allegiances to our teams for a second.

I brought up the name Andrew Pettite in a previous thread. EricBarton50 (consider the source) said basically "Pettite sucks, george knew he would be hurt and let him go to Houston and I'm glad he's gone." Now I know his opinions are worth nothing, but Maxman, a scholar of MLB agreed with him. He even said EB "schooled" me in the argument.

I said basically: Andy Pettite was hurt, true, but he was/is rarely injured and was a winning Yankee to say the least. He, at age 32, certainly is as good or better than any current Yankee starter. Plus, you would have killed to have him last October! And since Kevin Brown was brought in on the day Pettite was moved out...I have to use the 2 for a comparison.

Whom do you people side with? Me? Or the combination of Max and the ignorant fool? I say Pettite was a devastating loss to NYY...they say it was a good move to can him...

OK...we know where smizzy stands. What a surprise. And I know I titled the thread "AP-vs-Kevin Brown" but Brown was mentioned as the face of the new, post-Pettite rotation. I basically want to know if you want Pettite back, if you never wanted him to leave, or if youre glad he is gone.

All I ask is that you put aside your opinions of me and answer the question objectively.

Yankee haters (read: non-Yankee fans) feel free to add your opinion

The Yankees letting Pettite get away was the BIGGEST mistake this franchise has made since the start of the dynasty.

I don't care if he was hurt. You DO NOT under any circumstances let 31 year old left handers who one 24 games for you the previous season get away. If you remember in all three of the Yankees post season series in 2003 they lost the first game. Who was the guy who got the series even.

Pettite

Steinbrenner for whatever reason has had it in for Andy since day one. He nearly shipped him off the Philadelphia one year. All the guy did was win and you let him get away. Then to top it off you bring in a guy with a bad back, bad attitude and is a general jackass.

Please. I said it the day he signed with Houston that this is something that could set the Yankees back 10 years. Winning left handed pitchers don't exactly grow on trees.

HUGE mistake

I basically want to know if you want Pettite back

If he's capable of pitching like the AP we know.

if you never wanted him to leave

I didn't.

if youre glad he is gone.

I never wished Ap any ill will,glad he's gone? I wanted him to stay but since he's been gone we haven't been missing anything from him.

You can see that right? I men he's not burning up the NL bosox. You are trying to imply that because he's gone we suck or our rotation is weak. That has nothing to do with AP.

Bosox...I invited you here. The least you can do is not lie about what I said.

My point was...YOU CAN NOT SAY LETTING ANDY GO WAS A MISTAKE AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

I said nothing about the old clown they chose to replace him with.

But one simple point remains...And signed a 4 year deal. He missed year one. He may have cost his team a chance at the WS.

But he has been a bust for the first 25% of his contract. So right now, it was not a mistake to let him go.

If he stays healthy and turns it around then time may say it was a mistake. But the Yankees were concerned about him being injured. And so far they were right.

NOTE: I wanted him to be resigned in the WORST way. He has guts and was the heart and soul of many championship staffs. Just not going to kill the Yankees anymore because so far they were right.

You guys all suck off Jeter because of his supposed playoff prowess, but Pettite was the Yanks best postseason starter. He was the guy that could go out and win you the deciding game of a series. The Yanks didn't have that last year, and now a 41-year old that hasn't seen American League hitting in seven years is supposed to be the answer?

You guys all suck off Jeter because of his supposed playoff prowess, but Pettite was the Yanks best postseason starter. He was the guy that could go out and win you the deciding game of a series. The Yanks didn't have that last year, and now a 41-year old that hasn't seen American League hitting in seven years is supposed to be the answer?

Ypu guys act like RJ wasn't one of the best SP in MLB last year.

Guess what? He was.

I would take Randy in a must win game tomorrow over Andy.

Andy has won HUGE games for the Yankees. What he did in 1996 was crazy. But anyone remember the eggs he laid in the postseason? Even in 1996.

Not trashing the guy...just saying he isn't a #1.

Ypu guys act like RJ wasn't one of the best SP in MLB last year.

Guess what? He was.

I never acted like he wasn't. IMO, he was the best behind Santana. But with his terrible start this year, he's either cursed by being on my fantasy team or he's starting to lose it.

I think he'll put it all back together eventually, but with his age, you've got to wonder if last season emptied his tank.

you f'n liar. I never said those exact words you stupid POS.

You said the Yankees were stupid and wrong and pettitte being on the Yankees would mean all so much, then I pointed out that andy has done nothing since he left the Yankees

Bottom Line

I'd rather have him then brown, but petitte has had elbow problems dating back to 2002, the Yankees knew this.

Oh and he had like the highest run support in MLB when he was a Yankee.

Did you watch the 2001 WS where Petitte laid an egg???

you f'n liar. I never said those exact words you stupid POS.

You said the Yankees were stupid and wrong and pettitte being on the Yankees would mean all so much, then I pointed out that andy has done nothing since he left the Yankees

Bottom Line

I'd rather have him then brown, but petitte has had elbow problems dating back to 2002, the Yankees knew this.

Oh and he had like the highest run support in MLB when he was a Yankee.

Did you watch the 2001 WS where Petitte laid an egg???

Geez...with backpedalling like this from EB50, I for one hope he enters the NFL draft this coming weekend. We need all the CBs we can get over here in Jet-land.

I'm having a hard time following the deranged SPIN of this guy: is he saying basically: "It wasnt a mistake by the Yankees, they knew AP was gonna get hurt, but at the same time, it was a huge mistake by the Yankees, they have no clutch pitching and Pettite was super-clutch"

This guy bothers me...

And I'm not lying about what you said Max...you said EB50 "schooled" me in the Pettite debate and he is hedging his bets here because he knows I have a point.

And now he's putting words in my mouth!!! I never said "The Yankees werent stupid" for axing AP...that move was on george. He's a smart guy, but he was obscenely ignorant on this one! No member of the Yankee organization wanted to see AP leave and they all wish he would come back ASAP!

Geez...with backpedalling like this from EB50, I for one hope he enters the NFL draft this coming weekend. We need all the CBs we can get over here in Jet-land.

I'm having a hard time following the deranged SPIN of this guy: is he saying basically: "It wasnt a mistake by the Yankees, they knew AP was gonna get hurt, but at the same time, it was a huge mistake by the Yankees, they have no clutch pitching and Pettite was super-clutch"

This guy bothers me...

And I'm not lying about what you said Max...you said EB50 "schooled" me in the Pettite debate and he is hedging his bets here because he knows I have a point.

And now he's putting words in my mouth!!! I never said "The Yankees werent stupid" for axing AP...that move was on george. He's a smart guy, but he was obscenely ignorant on this one! No member of the Yankee organization wanted to see AP leave and they all wish he would come back ASAP!

Alright let's forget about me saying EB schooling you.

From a #'s standpoint you have to admit that AT THIS POINT in time the Yankees were right? No?

OK...so EB didnt "school" me, good, I no longer have steam blowing out of my ears.

Now, from a numbers standpoint, technically, you are correct. Houston has yet to receive a happy return on their investment in him. Well, save for a hugely resurgent interest in the team that now has a vaunted pitching staff. But sticking with Andy, he signed a four year pact with Houston for something ridiculously under market value (like $30 mil) just so he could be near his hometown. This we know, so the Astros arent due too much criticism here. But you have to admit, Pettite is usally durable so last year was an anomoly. I still think he'll be fine...more than fine actually...and it was a huge blunder by george to let him walk.

Furthemore, correct me if I'm wrong, but he injured himself (for the first time in 2004) swinging a bat, so I gotta mention the possibility that had he stayed in NY, he may not have been oft-injured last year.

Alright let's forget about me saying EB schooling you.

From a #'s standpoint you have to admit that AT THIS POINT in time the Yankees were right? No?

OK...so EB didnt "school" me, good, I no longer have steam blowing out of my ears.

Now, from a numbers standpoint, technically, you are correct. Houston has yet to receive a happy return on their investment in him. Well, save for a hugely resurgent interest in the team that now has a vaunted pitching staff. But sticking with Andy, he signed a four year pact with Houston for something ridiculously under market value (like $30 mil) just so he could be near his hometown. This we know, so the Astros arent due too much criticism here. But you have to admit, Pettite is usally durable so last year was an anomoly. I still think he'll be fine...more than fine actually...and it was a huge blunder by george to let him walk.

Furthemore, correct me if I'm wrong, but he injured himself (for the first time in 2004) swinging a bat, so I gotta mention the possibility that had he stayed in NY, he may not have been oft-injured last year.

....and letting Pedro walk wasn't a blunder of epic proportions?? :lol:

ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME THING. Pedro doesnt even belong in this thread.

It was unfortunate how Pedro left but not a "blunder" as you say. Petie wasnt happy in Boston, AP was happy as a pig in sh*t in NY. Pedro hated Schill. AP was loved by all except george. These were factors in negotiations.

BoSox management has a philosophy about over-paying for too many years, they dont do it ever! We all know the Yankees spend all this ridiculous money on players they dont even need...for multiple years, what do they give a shizz??? You cant even compare the 2 teams. PM wanted way too much money for way too many years. Boston couldnt afford that.

You lost AP because george was too busy with sheffield and doc gooden to bother with him. AP wanted one 5 dollar phone call from george saying, we appreciate your contributions and we'll take care of you this winter.

....and letting Pedro walk wasn't a blunder of epic proportions?? :lol:

ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME THING. Pedro doesnt even belong in this thread.

It was unfortunate how Pedro left but not a "blunder" as you say. Petie wasnt happy in Boston, AP was happy as a pig in sh*t in NY. Pedro hated Schill. AP was loved by all except george. These were factors in negotiations.

BoSox management has a philosophy about over-paying for too many years, they dont do it ever! We all know the Yankees spend all this ridiculous money on players they dont even need...for multiple years, what do they give a shizz??? You cant even compare the 2 teams. PM wanted way too much money for way too many years. Boston couldnt afford that.

You lost AP because george was too busy with sheffield and doc gooden to bother with him. AP wanted one 5 dollar phone call from george saying, we appreciate your contributions and we'll take care of you this winter.

This thread is shaping up like I thought it would.

Everyone except EB saying letting Pettite go was a mistake...EB protesting: "No I really do know what I am talking about. The Yanks rule, everyone else drools"

He's really not even trying to be legit. Why am I even still bothering with this butt plug?

This thread is shaping up like I thought it would.

Everyone except EB saying letting Pettite go was a mistake...EB protesting: "No I really do know what I am talking about. The Yanks rule, everyone else drools"

He's really not even trying to be legit. Why am I even still bothering with this butt plug?

We can't play the what if game. He was out last year. The Yankees felt he was injury prone. For the first 25% of the contract they were dead on.

We can't play the what if game. He was out last year. The Yankees felt he was injury prone. For the first 25% of the contract they were dead on.

Archived