Starting a team TODAY (not 5 years ago): Who do you take? Arod or Wright?

SouthernJet

They aren't facts just because they are generally accepted. It's REASONABLE to suggest that Halladay is one of the strongest pitchers in the game, but it is not fact. You have failed to use DATA to prove your case, which is always the strongest evidence you can use.

LOL. Go look up the stats yourself. Halladay is the 2nd best pitcher in MLB.

While it is absolutely true that I, personally, do not really care if the NL is weaker than the AL, I don't AGREE that it is significantly inferior to the AL. If you are ONLY going by a group of games played in May and June to make this judgement, then I cannot stand by and listen to that argument without countering it.

Not just a group of games, which btw proves a whole lot if you look at the asswhooping the AL put on the NL this year. Look at the rosters in the AL compared to the NL. The NL is completely barren of talent compared to the AL. People in baseball will tell you this.

And in any case, even if we were to assume the NL WERE significantly weaker, that STILL does not say anything about the Mets, nor does it have any bearing on the World Series, a 7-game series in which all the stats are thrown out anyways.

I agree.

The NL is completely barren of talent compared to the AL. People in baseball will tell you this.

First of all, what "people"? Second of all, the PLAYOFF teams in the AL and NL are never "barren". While there may be more "weak" teams in the NL, the elite teams usually match up pretty well to the AL. I really don't see how one could make an argument at this point that both the A's and Tigers are SIGNIFICANTLY more loaded in talent than the Mets or Cardinals.

First of all, what "people"? Second of all, the PLAYOFF teams in the AL and NL are never "barren". While there may be more "weak" teams in the NL, the elite teams usually match up pretty well to the AL. I really don't see how one could make an argument at this point that both the A's and Tigers are SIGNIFICANTLY more loaded in talent than the Mets or Cardinals.

You must be blind, what can I say.

If you google about this, you'll find quotes for tons of baseball people (scouts, players, ex-coaches etc etc) saying the NL is a joke.

A pitching staff headed by John Maine, Tom Glavine aka a 5 inning pitcher in the AL, and a guy cut by the pirates, to another team with jeff f##king weaver and a career punching bag in jeff suppan, wow just wow. Carpenter is pretty good. These are the 2 worst championship series pitching staffs I have ever seen.

The lineups arent bad compared to another, I'd even give the mets the edge over the A's. But the pitching is so much better and deeper in the AL in the playoffs and in the regular season, as is the lineups.

I'm tired over this arguement. Its clear as day. Results, loaded with talent, the NL has neither this year.

The lineups arent bad compared to another, I'd even give the mets the edge over the A's. But the pitching is so much better and deeper in the AL in the playoffs and in the regular season, as is the lineups.

So what exactly are you arguing? It seems that Yankee fans feel that, because the AL is stronger, that the Mets didnt deserve to win 100 games AND that they have no shot at winning the World Series. But then you go ahead and say the Mets are better than Oakland. Furthermore, you used no facts to prove the AL is more loaded in talent (or disproved the point that the AL PLAYOFF TEAMS are not significantly stronger than the NL PLAYOFF TEAMS), instead telling me to go to Google and punch it in myself. What gives?

So what exactly are you arguing? It seems that Yankee fans feel that, because the AL is stronger, that the Mets didnt deserve to win 100 games AND that they have no shot at winning the World Series. But then you go ahead and say the Mets are better than Oakland. Furthermore, you used no facts to prove the AL is more loaded in talent (or disproved the point that the AL PLAYOFF TEAMS are not significantly stronger than the NL PLAYOFF TEAMS), instead telling me to go to Google and punch it in myself. What gives?

The mets have a better lineup, and I'm just calling it a hunch they'd beat the A's. But the A's have way better pitching.

Seriously, you're giving me a headache. Its a fact that the NL doesnt have half as much talent as the AL. Just look at all the AL scrugs having success in the NL. The AMOUNT of talent lacking in the NL is a FACT.

I cant take this anymore, I need a drink.

The mets have a better lineup, and I'm just calling it a hunch they'd beat the A's. But the A's have way better pitching.

Seriously, you're giving me a headache. Its a fact that the NL doesnt have half as much talent as the AL. Just look at all the AL scrugs having success in the NL. The AMOUNT of talent lacking in the NL is a FACT.

I cant take this anymore, I need a drink.

Barton, I'd love to live in your world, where FACTS devoid of support by research are accepted as facts. Drink up.

A Mets fan making fun of the Yankees for beating up on al east teams is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Tell me the phillies and braves are better than the red sox and bluejays LOLOL.

Go look at the bluejays roster and compare it to the cardinals - bluejays are better in every facet of the game - lineup, bullpen and starters.

The Cardinals, Dodgers and Padres wouldnt finish with a winning record in the AL.

Dude, does it really matter where/who the mets played their games agasinst? They have a shot at winning the championship that the yankees have unsucessfully tried to buy the last 6 years. The Mets are still alive, the yankees are home crying and creating a retarded soap opera to knock the Mets off the front page. In the end who cares who you played? It's who still playing into October.

Dude, does it really matter where/who the mets played their games agasinst? They have a shot at winning the championship that the yankees have unsucessfully tried to buy the last 6 years. The Mets are still alive, the yankees are home crying and creating a retarded soap opera to knock the Mets off the front page. In the end who cares who you played? It's who still playing into October.

I agree with you. More power to the Mets for (so far) taking advantage of a weak NL. But it doesnt change the fact, the NL is signifcantly weaker, but who cares if you're the Mets, right?

I agree with you. More power to the Mets for (so far) taking advantage of a weak NL. But it doesnt change the fact, the NL is signifcantly weaker, but who cares if you're the Mets, right?

Yes, Barton, as a WHOLE the AL is stronger. But, the gretates discrepancy of team balance resided in the Central Divisions.

My argument was that there was not much discrepancy in the Eastern divisions. All you have done to dissuade that opinion is throw Roy Halladay out in defending the Toronto's, Tampa's and Baltimore's of the AL.

Barton, I guess you are going to show me some sort of record that the Yankees, the Beasts of the AL East had against the NL East, to show me their dominance.

Go ahead.

• 6 months later...

if just for this year and maybe next I say AROD, although his defense blows,,

but if starting a organization TODAY, that means for years in future, its Wright no doubt, ,AROD will be 32 in July,, Wright will be 25 in December.

if just for this year and maybe next I say AROD, although his defense blows,,

but if starting a organization TODAY, that means for years in future, its Wright no doubt, ,AROD will be 32 in July,, Wright will be 25 in December.

Wright will not match Arod for the next 4 years.

;)

Wright will not match Arod for the next 4 years.

haha,, maybe,,

I sense you started this because of my starting pitching thread,,;)

haha,, looking for any bright spots,,;)

but, alas, most GMs would take Wright if long term starting a franchise,, 32 vs 25,, you should have asked, ,in next 4 to 5 years,, but based on thread title, you would have to be a delusional homer to take a 32 year old over a 25 year old, since both are very solid players,, we arent talking Ed Charles here

we are talking 8 to 12 years... nice try though ;)

;)

haha,, maybe,,

I sense you started this because of my starting pitching thread,,;)

haha,, looking for any bright spots,,;)

but, alas, most GMs would take Wright if long term starting a franchise,, 32 vs 25,, you should have asked, ,in next 4 to 5 years,, but based on thread title, you would have to be a delusional homer to take a 32 year old over a 25 year old, since both are very solid players,, we arent talking Ed Charles here

we are talking 8 to 12 years... nice try though ;)

Hey, Ed Charles was a nice player. Played solid defense on that '69 team, by the way.;)

For the next 3-5 seasons, I doubt that Wright will put up any better numbers than A-Rod will. After that, who knows, Wright should be better. But where are all the power numbers so far this year? What does he have, 8 RBIs so far? Not good, to say the least.

Archived