The bottom line about this team RIGHT NOW

madmike1

The jets are WAY too much of a finesse team to compete with teams like jacksonville and the better teams in the NFL and it's been like that for years. They jets need to get BIGGER in the DL, OL and LB's so they can win the PHYSICAL BATTLES along the line scrimmage. They need to get more physical players so that for once we are the ones pushing other teams around, not getting bullied by teams like jacksonville and the steelers every time we play them.

The jets are WAY too much of a finesse team to compete with teams like jacksonville and the better teams in the NFL and it's been like that for years. They jets need to get BIGGER in the DL, OL and LB's so they can win the PHYSICAL BATTLES along the line scrimmage. They need to get more physical players so that for once we are the ones pushing other teams around, not getting bullied by teams like jacksonville and the steelers every time we play them.

well said.

this has been the problem for years...I think the change of mentality in the players is starting to take place now just need more of that kind of personnel..but then I think Schlegel was supposed to bring some things and he cannot even get on the field

this has been the problem for years...I think the change of mentality in the players is starting to take place now just need more of that kind of personnel..but then I think Schlegel was supposed to bring some things and he cannot even get on the field

Yep, who was the NT they passed up to draft the boar hunter?

Ngata and McNeill are looking like they would've served us better than Brick & Clemens at this point as well. Even though he's not starting yet, Jean-Gilles (available with either of our 3rd round picks) is also exactly the type of road-grader we could use at OG as well. It's only 5 wks into these guys' rookie seasons, so we'll see how it pans out. But consider:

NT Ngata

LT McNeill

RB Norwood

RG Jean-Gilles

SS Greg Blue

or

LT Brick

QB Clemens

ILB Schlegel

SS Smith

RB Washington

Forget I brought this up. I don't want to rehash this anymore. I'm willing to write it off as first-time draft mistakes spent looking for diamonds in the rough when diamonds in the diamond store were available.

Ngata and McNeill are looking like they would've served us better than Brick & Clemens at this point as well. Even though he's not starting yet, Jean-Gilles (available with either of our 3rd round picks) is also exactly the type of road-grader we could use at OG as well. It's only 5 wks into these guys' rookie seasons, so we'll see how it pans out. But consider:

NT Ngata

LT McNeill

RB Norwood

RG Jean-Gilles

SS Greg Blue

or

LT Brick

QB Clemens

ILB Schlegel

SS Smith

RB Washington

Forget I brought this up. I don't want to rehash this anymore. I'm willing to write it off as first-time draft mistakes spent looking for diamonds in the rough when diamonds in the diamond store were available.

The only jet picks there i really don't like were smith and clemens but consider that they didn't know what chad would play like or if he would be healthy...

NT Ngata

LT McNeill

RB Norwood

RG Jean-Gilles

SS Greg Blue

or

LT Brick

QB Clemens

ILB Schlegel

SS Smith

RB Washington

yeah, its real easy to say, after the draft and part of the season is over...

yeah, its real easy to say, after the draft and part of the season is over...

If you were here I said it plenty before the draft. Only stuff I left out was players like Jean-Gilles with 3rd-round picks b/c no one figured him to be there in the 4th. He was projected as a first-rounder (a high 2nd at the lowest). Norwood was supposed to go in round 2. I loved McNeill & Ngata from the get go. Brick was not a reach at all at #4, but this draft was very rich in tackles, including left tackles. No reason to take one at #4. Giant mountain-men with freakish size & talent that is tailor-made to be a pro-bowl nose tackle like Ngata are more rare than left tackles. You can get by with a decent LT instead of a stellar one (assuming Brick becomes that). You can't get by being so-so at NT in a 3-4 defense.

So since these players were available later, the "hindsight" is actually nothing of the sort since I wanted a bunch of these players in rounds 1-2 by trading down & acquiring picks. We didn't find a trade partner so it looked like that was out the window & we simply couldn't get all of them. Turns out we could've had them all without even trading down.

Don't even kid yourself that Clemens/Schlegel/E.Smith were on your day-one wish list. I think there's a good chance that one or more may be impact players, but certainly both 3rd rounders were massive reaches. Schlegel was expected to go in round 5 (at the earliest) and Smith was expected to go in round 6-7 (if he got drafted at all).

Like I said, hopefully these guys are quick learners. Everyone here saw they were trying to be a bit too clever & show they were better evaluators of college talent than all the draftnicks in the country. If you like these "diamond in the rough" guys that's fine. But you have to actually get them IN the rough & in the meantime you pick up a better talent AND these players as well. You don't piss away day-one picks to get them.

Madmike I agree with what you are saying- we need to control the line of scrimmage- we lose this battle every game.

We need to be more physical on both the defensive and offensive lines.

Bingo.

The Jets OLine is not getting a push off the ball while the DLine is getting blown off the LOS.

It's very difficult to win in the NFL unless you can control both sides of the LOS.

Jetcane we need to sit down and have some drinks one of these days.... As much as this past draft was good the E Smith and Schlegel picks still annoy me a bit

Sounds good 4H.

I'll be at the Miami game this week, too.

Lemme know if you'll be tailgating Sunday.

[quote=Sperm Edwards;327969certainly both 3rd rounders were massive reaches. Schlegel was expected to go in round 5 (at the earliest) and Smith was expected to go in round 6-7 (if he got drafted at all).

I remember draft day, I was a tad dissapointed with Brick, but just a tad. Mangold, late first round, not the QB/RB I wanted, but sure, we needed a C and I'm still not on the Teague bandwagon. Clemens in RD2, and my mood was pretty good -- I got a QB! Then Rd 3...

The exact thought going through my head was, "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! WHO? WHY?"

Our third round was pretty freakin' sketchy.

Can't agree with you more. Part of the reason I was against the D'Brick pick was that the guy is a finesse O-linemen and the Jets needed to get a bigger, more physical O-line like Marcus McNeill and Ryan O'Callaghan.

Our biggest need right now is Defensive Tackle. Alan Grant should be available for us in the next draft and we should definitely take a look at him.

You should have kept Abraham. Defensive Ends such as him don't come around every day. Pay them and keep them happy.

John Abraham is a typical stat guy and one of the least physical DE's in the league. His entire game is based on the fact that he is smaller and quicker than most of the O-line he faces so he can run around them and get to the QB. He shows up for 5-6 games a year, gets his stats, gets called a good player by clowns like yourself, and then goes on the IR. Not bad.

Archived