Would the Cubs take Arod for Carlos Zambrano?

Green Jets & Ham

I agree. There are some situations that are hopeless that he would not get in to. Probably six or seven IMO. Even if it's ten or eleven that leaves close to 20 teams where a deal could work.

I do disagree about Colorado though. I was actually thinking earlier that they could be a great suitor. When their line up is stacked, the fans come out. With the abundance of youth they have on that roster, they might be willing to take A-Rod at around 11 or 12 mil per season depending on what the Yankees pick up on his tab. The Rockies have a top prospect in the minors by the name of Ian Stewart which could make Garrett Atkins expendable to the Yanks. Like most hitters his run production increases at Coors field but he'd still be pretty damn good away from Coors IMO.

Atkins (as a starting point) would be a nice addition at 3B.

Get Col to throw in Jeremy Affeldt who OWNS David Ortiz

A-Rod could take over at SS with Ian Stewart coming up to play 3B. Colorado would undoubtedly sell far more ticets than they did last season. Lets face it, playing in Colorado could realistically make A-Rod a 55-60 HR threat every season. How's that for marketability?

Just an example though, there are sevearal teams where I think something could be worked out.

The rockies don't have the pitching or the pitching prospects to get arod.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zambrano would melt down so fast in the AL east, he cant even handle his emotions well enough at wrigley let alone in the bronx

you don't know that. the bottom line is that the yankees would be getting one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. you don't pass that up.

Here is what you get for A-Rod-

Someone else who may be part of a salary dump and is in partial decline: ie a Todd Helton type and a mid level highly regarded prospect.

That is about it, in my view.

Your view would be wrong. The yankees will get MUCH more then a salary dump for him if they are comitted to trade him.

Your view would be wrong. The yankees will get MUCH more then a salary dump for him if they are comitted to trade him.

Yes, Mike I realize that. That is why these things are opinions.

Sometimes, I forget that I am in the land of Yankee, where every move is a great one, where the promise of the off season means trading nothing and getting everything, where you can dump your problems on others and get riches in return, and where magical pixie dust is spread hourly.

Forgive me.

Yes, Mike I realize that. That is why these things are opinions.

Sometimes, I forget that I am in the land of Yankee, where every move is a great one, where the promise of the off season means trading nothing and getting everything, where you can dump your problems on others and get riches in return, and where magical pixie dust is spread hourly.

Forgive me.

If your "problem" is a hall of fame 990 OPS 3B/SS with a resonable contract in a shallow free agent market then you will be able to make a trade. Anyone who dosn't see that is either a plain idiot or is letting their yankee hatred speak for them.

If your "problem" is a hall of fame 990 OPS 3B/SS with a resonable contract in a shallow free agent market then you will be able to make a trade. Anyone who dosn't see that is either a plain idiot or is letting their yankee hatred speak for them.

Pardon me, I thought the Yankees chief goal was winning World Series, not having pretty window decorations in reg season stats.

If you are a stat guy, congratulations on the great Yankee season.

Pardon me, I thought the Yankees chief goal was winning World Series, not having pretty window decorations in reg season stats.

If you are a stat guy, congratulations on the great Yankee season.

Good thing the yankees arn't trading arod to the yankees. Other teams judge success differently.

You are saying other teams, given a choice would prefer a guy with great numbers as opposed to winning World Series?

Wow, that is a good one

You don't have to say anything to them. they know what kind of player he is. they see his numbers and watch the tapes. You think like a fan, other teams GM's and owners don't.

You don't have to say anything to them. they know what kind of player he is. they see his numbers and watch the tapes. You think like a fan, other teams GM's and owners don't.

OK, lets say A-Rod is the best player in baseball AND the steal of the century.

The market dictates what you get, not always the statistical value of the player. Knowing this, who would sacrifice an ace starting pitcher to get him, and why would they do such a thing for a 30-something who makes $16.5 million AND happens to be damaged goods?

The market dictates what you get, not always the statistical value of the player. Knowing this, who would sacrifice an ace starting pitcher to get him, and why would they do such a thing for a 30-something who makes $16.5 million AND happens to be damaged goods?

And damaged goods largely because the Yankees manager decided to blab his head off about his fragile psyche to SI, and then dropped him to 8th in the order in a playoff game without any explanation. In fact, on MMD Torre expressed surprise when asked about it,and said he expected there would be more questions about benching (the perpetually hurt) Giambi*. And did nothing to damage the breach in his clubhouse, all the while when his supposed strength is "managing egos" rather than strategy. Crazy idea-tell A-rod and Jeter to come into his office and sort this crap out like adults once and for all. But he never did it. I guess speaking engagements and foundation work might have, in the last 9 or so months, precluded that discussion.

So you've gone from Soriano to A-rod to a total dump job in this wash-at best some iffy proespect or someobody else's contract or physical mess on the downside. You aren't getting cheap, nonarbitration eligible prospects. Way to go, Joe!

he's a MUCH better deal then Soriano or Lee who are the 2 premier FA's for teams looking to add offense. That means the "market" that you're bringing up ADD'S to arod's value.

I am not saying Aramis won't opt out. He probably will.

I was saying that you were wrong in calling him a free agent. He ain't a free agent 'til he's a free agent. And, as of this very second, he is under contract.

Well, if you want to be technical about it, no one in Baseball is a free agent this second. But come the declaration period (15 days after the WS or so), Ramaris will be there, or whatever day he can opt out.

So it's all semantics. He will opt out, unless the Cubbies sweeten the pot.

I agree. There are some situations that are hopeless that he would not get in to. Probably six or seven IMO. Even if it's ten or eleven that leaves close to 20 teams where a deal could work.

I do disagree about Colorado though. I was actually thinking earlier that they could be a great suitor. When their line up is stacked, the fans come out. With the abundance of youth they have on that roster, they might be willing to take A-Rod at around 11 or 12 mil per season depending on what the Yankees pick up on his tab. The Rockies have a top prospect in the minors by the name of Ian Stewart which could make Garrett Atkins expendable to the Yanks. Like most hitters his run production increases at Coors field but he'd still be pretty damn good away from Coors IMO.

Atkins (as a starting point) would be a nice addition at 3B.

Get Col to throw in Jeremy Affeldt who OWNS David Ortiz

A-Rod could take over at SS with Ian Stewart coming up to play 3B. Colorado would undoubtedly sell far more ticets than they did last season. Lets face it, playing in Colorado could realistically make A-Rod a 55-60 HR threat every season. How's that for marketability?

Just an example though, there are sevearal teams where I think something could be worked out.

Someone here gets it.

This is a well thought out post. Not saying this is what would happen to A-Rod, but this is the type of thinking that will come into play. Dodgers and Angels are near the top of teams that would trade for A-Rod, but there are probably 10 others who would try for him, at least.

Archived