Brad Kassell

The Troll

Is this guy still on the team? Is he injured? Does he actually play and I just never notice him?

He played. He practically started this week and completely whiffed on one of the Jags first big runs. Jetcane and I were saying how Kassel looked like a stiff in another thread. That's what set 'cane off about McClover.

Amazing, Kassel was named to be a starter yesterday over Barton for defense package differential.

The way he whiffed on tackles, they must have called it the A-Rod package.

Or maybe they noticed how gently he tried to tackle people and figured he wouldnt ever get called for RTP

Actually, when he didnt whiff, he was getting run over.

Not a good game to judge anyone on the team though.

Why is that?

Is it only good to judge the team when they win?

Overall, its still a team in transition, and the overall direction is good considering we are having to overcome the Herm/Bradway years.

But unlike the Herm era, which I never really commented on much, since I felt Edwards is a clown and always was, I find I am more compelled to critique how things are going now.

Are we only supposed to comment on the decisions that work out?

See, when the CS makes a bunch of good decisions, then a bad 4th down play/decision vs the Colts sticks out like a sore thumb.

When the emphasis is on having guys who play good football, not footsie, then when the defense looks porous and guys get run over, it is glaring.

I think Kassell and Hobson and Chatham have been underwhelming, as has the DL. Is there anything the DL can do well? What about the OLBs? Do we need to wait until they break out with a good game to judge them? That may take a while. ;-)

Why is that?

Is it only good to judge the team when they win?

Overall, its still a team in transition, and the overall direction is good considering we are having to overcome the Herm/Bradway years.

But unlike the Herm era, which I never really commented on much, since I felt Edwards is a clown and always was, I find I am more compelled to critique how things are going now.

Are we only supposed to comment on the decisions that work out?

See, when the CS makes a bunch of good decisions, then a bad 4th down play/decision vs the Colts sticks out like a sore thumb.

When the emphasis is on having guys who play good football, not footsie, then when the defense looks porous and guys get run over, it is glaring.

I think Kassell and Hobson and Chatham have been underwhelming, as has the DL. Is there anything the DL can do well? What about the OLBs? Do we need to wait until they break out with a good game to judge them? That may take a while. ;-)

Well said, I agree, but no one played well. It's still a team game, and the team did not perform well.

I'm glad everyone is accountable now, but yesterday was pathetic. They have a lot of work to do. It would be especially nice if the D could win a game (the O has carried the team for the most part).

I could not agree more Jetcane..some of the LBs that have been brought in mainly Chatham and Kassell have been mediocre at best. It appears that they are special teams players at best and rarely ever are capable of making plays.

Usually special teams players are capable of making plays and have some flaw (too small, not experienced enough) that keeps them from starting. These guys can't make plays period.

Kassell started the Game against Jacksonville. He was in for the first two series. The Jax ran 10 plays during those drives for something like 120 yds or around 12 yds per play. He whiffed on a tackle on the screen pass to Fred Taylor (not to mention this was his read) got run over on at least one of the touchdown runs. He played goal line in the second quarter and gave good pressure up the middle once but then jumped the stack and missed the ball carrier on the next play. The more telling thing was that when they brought Barton in the Defense did get tougher against the run and in general. I'd say the Kassell as starter experiment is over and I would hope that this would give Schlegel a chance to at least dress as the backup to Barton so we could see what he is actually capable of.

Special teams wise Kassell is a regular, but its not like he's been tearing it up as a Special Teamer.

Archived