DT Just got Cut by the Chiefs, Interesting

raffyD

Chiefs cut Dalton; DT might be hot property on market

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Veteran defensive tackle Lional Dalton, who started 14 games for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2005, has been released, in part because the team wanted to create a spot for cornerback Michael Bragg, but also because he was not a good fit in a scheme that demands quicker linemen.

s4575.jpg

Dalton

Dalton, 31, could quickly generate interest around the league, because there are a number of teams looking for interior defenders.

A ninth-year veteran, Dalton, at 6-feet-1 and 315 pounds, is a proven run-stopper. But he appeared in only two games for the Chiefs this season, because Edwards' defense is a one-gap scheme that places a premium on penetration. Dalton is more a classic, two-gap defender.

The Chiefs added veteran free agents James Reed and Ron Edwards in the offseason, players with whom Edwards was familiar and who are a better fit, and the tandem has started all four games. Dalton did not have a tackle or a sack in either of his appearances.

"Certain coaches, when they come in, they've got a certain player they like of a certain body type or personality," Dalton told the Kansas City Star. "And if you don't fit into that mold, you don't get to play."

Dalton is the second veteran defensive tackle released by the Chiefs this year, joining former second-round choice Junior Siavii, who was also a two-gap defender. In his two previous seasons, since he signed with the Chiefs as a free agent in 2004, Dalton started 27 games.

A former Eastern Michigan star, Dalton entered the league as an undrafted free agent in 1998. He has served stints with Baltimore (1998-2001), Denver (2002), Washington (2003) and Kansas City (2004-2006). In 129 appearances, including 55 starts, Dalton has 236 tackles, eight sacks, three forced fumbles, one recovery, 45 quarterback pressures and four pass deflections.

Dalton had three more seasons remaining on his contract with the Chiefs. His base salary for 2006 was $710,000 and, if he is not signed by another team, the Chiefs must pay him the full amount since he is a vested veteran.

I don't think 6'1, 315 is good enough for a NT, although he is a run stuffer.

people say this all the time - it's a misconception

look around the league, guys like pat williams, jamal williams and ted washington are the exception not the rule - there are maybe 10 330+ pound nose tackles in the league at any given time.

ideally - yes you would want your nose tackle to be 330 to 350

but we don't live in an ideal world

the difference between 315 and 330 is like a couple steaks for these guys

i wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets picked up by the Jets or at least brought in for a workout

not saying Dalton is a great player but 2 gap run stoppers are exactly what we are lacking

Hey, draftdaddy, what about Junior Siavii, also mentioned in the article? I know we won't be bringing him in, because he was cut 9-2, but seems like the type of guy we are looking for: 6'5" 330, 2 gap lineman, 2nd round pick in '04. Is he hurt (was on PUP list), awful or are we just done with Samoan DTs?

Junior has had injury concerns also looked lost out there - a project in other words.

Dalton has started alot and is the type of guy you bring in, get a uniform printed up and rotate him in that week.

This team in general is too young and need vets, which is why you don't see alot of youth brought in off the street.

i wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets picked up by the Jets or at least brought in for a workout

not saying Dalton is a great player but 2 gap run stoppers are exactly what we are lacking

This is what I was thinking, why not bring this guy in? We can't stop the run and he's a proven run stopper in the defensive system our guys are trying to lean. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If we don't have room then make room, sh!t, if they can cut Strait then they can cut some dead weight to make room for this guy.

people say this all the time - it's a misconception

look around the league, guys like pat williams, jamal williams and ted washington are the exception not the rule - there are maybe 10 330+ pound nose tackles in the league at any given time.

ideally - yes you would want your nose tackle to be 330 to 350

but we don't live in an ideal world

the difference between 315 and 330 is like a couple steaks for these guys

but don't we already have a guy of the same dimensions named Dewayne?

Is Dalton just better? Cause they're practically the same size.

Size isn't everything. If the only thing that mattered was height and weight Vilma wouldn't have been drafted. I'm the first one that brought up Junior, but I don't think I ever saw him play as a pro and maybe 1 or 2 not very memorable college games. I know you guys hate Herm, but are you so sure he'd cut the stud that will solve our NT problems 1/4 of a season before Dalton if Dalton weren't better? At least Dalton has been a quality starter. Even if the Chiefs did usually have a weak D.

Archived