WFAN reports: Cory Lidle on Plane

oxscott

EW YORK -- A small plane piloted by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed into a 50-story condominium tower Wednesday on Manhattan's Upper East Side, raining flaming debris onto the sidewalks below and rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the Sept. 11 attack.

Lidle died in the crash.

The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center -- with a loud bang, touching off a raging fire that cast a pillar of black smoke over the city and sent flames shooting from four windows on two adjoining floors.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Wow. Thurman Munson is immediately coming to mind. Thoughts go out to his family.

Tragic.

I watched him pitch on Saturday.

He was on Mike and the Mad Dog on Monday defending himself after some quotes he made about Torre following the loss on Saturday and now he is gone.

Life is just so short.

Lidle was also a former Met and Oakland Athletic. It will be interesting to see how Selig handles this.

Tragic.

I watched him pitch on Saturday.

He was on Mike and the Mad Dog on Monday defending himself after some quotes he made about Torre following the loss on Saturday and now he is gone.

Life is just so short.

Lidle was also a former Met and Oakland Athletic. It will be interesting to see how Selig handles this.

What did he say?

What did he say?

Bascially how he felt that the Yankees were unprepared or not ready for what happened.

The quotes from him and Sheffield were in the Monday papers and they were ripping them both for it. Lidle then called in and went at it with them for about 20 minutes.

Mike and the Dog really went after him hard about the quotes

The interview is still listed on wfan.com you might be able to listen to it there.

i am sure mets will have moment of silence for him tonight

I'm not so sure about that.

This guy was teammate of guys like Carlos Delgado, Billy Wagner, and Chad Bradford along with probably some guys on the Athletics.

It will be interesting to see what Selig does. Maybe he leaves it to the teams to decide.

12 bids already!!! jesus...do people really flock to ebay as soon as they hear someone has passed away to pick up anything with their name on it?

Yes..this happens anytime an athlete dies.

What bothers me is the people selling these things..this person listed the ball just today and in their description made a note about his death.

I sent this particular seller a note, to tell him how much of a low down piece of sh!t he is.

Yes..this happens anytime an athlete dies.

What bothers me is the people selling these things..this person listed the ball just today and in their description made a note about his death.

I sent this particular seller a note, to tell him how much of a low down piece of sh!t he is.

I noticed the description saying that he just died in a horrible plane crash. I've heard of people buying stuff of "famous" people who died, like movie stars, presidents and superstar athletes. like when Manlte and Wilt died I remember the memorabilia craze that followed, but I wasn't aware that it happened so fast when someone that isn't a household name passes away suddenly.

guess some people don't care what it takes to make a buck. :sad:

Toon, there are lowdown people in every walk of life. The sports hobby is no different.

As soon as I heard about Lidle's death I knew people would be listing his items on ebay...Sure enough there they are, listing baseballs and cards there trying to profit from his death. It just makes me absolutely sick.

Here is another one, just listed. Read the description...lowdown slime balls!!

I'm sorry to hear this. I know I don't post much here, but I felt that this tragedy deserved my $0.02. As much as I don't like the Yankees, my heart goes out to them in this time of mourning. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as well.

RIP Cory! From what I've been hearing, he was a good man. What a shame. :(

Unclench.

I immediately thought of Thurman Munson, and that is exactly who they are talking about on NY1.

once you heard that it was Cory Lidle, didn't everyone old enough to remember it, think of Munson right away? I know that's the 1st thing I thought of.

once you heard that it was Cory Lidle, didn't everyone old enough to remember it, think of Munson right away? I know that's the 1st thing I thought of.

Absolutely. And i was a big fan of the Billy Martin, Guidry, Reggie, Munson, Willie Randolph, Nettles, etc Yankees.

I was devastated when I heard about Thurman's death.

I was at that first game after TM's death, when Bobby Mercer(?) had the game winning hit.

Correst me if it was someone else, my memory is hazy.

Absolutely. And i was a big fan of the Billy Martin, Guidry, Reggie, Munson, Willie Randolph, Nettles, etc Yankees.

I was devastated when I heard about Thurman's death.

I was at that first game after TM's death, when Bobby Mercer(?) had the game winning hit.

Correst me if it was someone else, my memory is hazy.

Yup you nailed it.

ABC televised the game.

It was against the Orioles. They had the funeral earlier in the day and flew back from Canton Ohio for the game.

Murcer who delivered one of the eulogies had a big night.

And to think we saw him pitch just days ago and was going to probably end up being our #4 or #5 starter next season.

R.I.P. Cory

I wish the best to his wife & his 6 year old son. I lost my mom at 7, I feel bad for his son.

really??? come on, have a little class please!!!

Lets just not talk about anything and it will just go away.

Grow up.

This isn't about class, its about a guy who died, and my post wasn't a joke... If you are the Yankees, there are so many problems created by this -- starting with the fact that your #5 starter is dead. Think about the little kids, they just heard that one of the guys they look up to, a real live ballplayer, crashed into an apartment. Its a little traumatic don't you think?

But you're right. Lets just all say, "I feel bad" and leave it at that. There is nothing else to this is there? It's classless to say anything else, right?

Archived