Surprise John Abe may play against the Giants

faba

FALCONS REPORT

Abraham says 'I'll probably play' Sunday

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/12/06

Flowery Branch — On Wednesday, Falcons defensive end John Abraham went through his first practice in pads since returning from a groin injury that forced him to miss three games. Afterward, he said that he's pretty sure he'll play Sunday when the Falcons host the New York Giants.

"It's 80 to 90 percent that I'll probably play because I feel like I can contribute to my team," said Abraham, who had six tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles in his lone appearance at Carolina in the season-opener. "If I can't contribute, I'm not going to play, but right now I'm feeling positive about the situation.

RELATED STORIES

"If we were 1-3 right now it would be more pressure for me to get back on the field. We're playing well, so there is not as much pressure."

Coach Jim Mora said he is encouraged by Abraham's progress and expects the three-time Pro Bowler to return soon. However, Mora would not guarantee that Abraham would come back against the Giants.

Abraham went through two non-contact practices last Wednesday and Monday and said he suffered no setbacks. Both workouts were followed by off-days.

Thursday will mark the first time since the injury occurred he will go through consecutive workouts.

In other injury news, linebacker Ed Hartwell (knees), guard Kynan Forney (shoulder), cornerback/kick returner Allen Rossum (hamstring), cornerback Omare Lowe (hamstring) and running back Jerious Norwood (shoulder) were listed as questionable for Sunday's game.

Rossum and Lowe were the only two players who did not practice.

Vick: Falcons still have long way to go

Having won three of four games, the Falcons could be feeling pretty good about themselves heading into Sunday's game.

That's not the case.

"We had some good games, we beat some good teams but I still feel like we're about four, five more games away from putting ourselves in a position where we can be looked at as one of the top teams in the league," Falcons quarterback Michael Vick said. "That's great that we have that attitude. What I know is we're going to work to get there.

"In order to get that notoriety like we want, we're going to have to beat some more teams and put ourselves in position where we're going to be looked at as a tough playoff contender. I think we have all the ability in the world to do that. It's just a matter of time."

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said the Falcons have to look at last year to understand they haven't accomplished much.

"We started 6-2, right?," Hall asked. "What did that get us? It's a long way from being over. We have a long ways to go."

A little extra work for quarterbacks

Even though the Falcons quarterbacks do plenty of running during drills in practice, it apparently isn't enough compared to other position players. So after practices on Wednesday and Thursday, Vick, Matt Schaub and D.J. Shockley, along with quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and assistant QB coach Robert Prince, ran a series of cross-field sprints for extra conditioning.

New addition to practice squad

The Falcons signed offensive lineman Bo Lacy (6-foot-4, 300 pounds) to the practice squad. Tight end Jason Randall was released. Lacy, a sixth-round draft pick out of Arkansas by Pittsburgh in 2004, was on

His quotes just always seem to piss me off. Things like "I'll probably play", and "right now I'm feeling positive about the situation". What a tool, someone is paying you 45 million I think you play whenever you can, not just when you're feeling positive about the situation....

Lets hope he has a great game vs the giants and then gets hurt again next week lol

I think Abe, was a great player for our team whenever he was able to play. He definately had game changing ability, we can sure use some of those type of players. The fact is, he has had some injury issues throughout his career, but its pretty silly to root for the guy to get injured. I mean we traded him, and received a first round pick for it so its time to move on and let the ATL deal with the baggage, but i think hoping for any player to get injured is just silly.

Over or Under - 4

Number of games Abe plays before he gets hurt again.

I can name that groin in three notes.

His quotes just always seem to piss me off. Things like "I'll probably play", and "right now I'm feeling positive about the situation". What a tool, someone is paying you 45 million I think you play whenever you can, not just when you're feeling positive about the situation....

Has wasn't dubbed Sir of Loin for nothing.

bugs1vo7.jpg

Archived