Chris Carpenter: is he human?

Jetsfan80

All I've been hearing is how badly the Mets need to win in games in which Carpenter is NOT pitching, since he is guarenteed to win when he starts.

Excuse me for asking, but exactly why should the Mets fear any right-handed pitcher, including Carpenter? While I believe the Mets will fare better against Jeff Weaver and Jeff Suppan, Carpenter is by no means "guarenteed" a victory. Does the guy have a pact with the Devil or something? By the way, Nate Robertson wasn't supposed to out-duel Barry Zito, either.

Discuss.

I think A LOT of it has to do not only with the edge it would give the Mets by being up 1-0, but what it does for both teams pyschologically. Similar to the way the Twins fell apart after losing game 1. You beat the one guy who you're not supposed to beat and it elevates the confidence and expectations by leaps and bounds. The mets don't HAVE to beat him IMO, but I think a win against Carpenter would pay dividends.

I picked the Cards to win this series but I can very easily seeing the Mets pull it out. As a matter of fact, I think that the X factor in this series is Jeff Weaver. If Weaver pitches well, Cards win. If he doesn't Mets win.

Some of it is attributable to the matchup you have- Trachsel does not give you much confidence from many Met fans including myself.

Since game 1 was rained out, La Russa may choose to pitch Carpenter in Game 2. This means it would be John Maine up against Carpenter.

Not much of a difference between the two, but still. In any case, no one really knows what the Mets will get out of the SP this series.

I hate the mets, but they're going to beat the Cards. Its inevitable, the Cards haven't had "it" this year, and the Mets have. They've played with Chemistry -- in the NL, they're probably unbeatable.

hahaha, yeah I see you hate the Mets...you pillory them with unsavory comments throughout the board. You are just bitter. Bitter that you are forced to watch them celebrate every win. Bitter that your team is playing golf now. Bitter that A-rod may probably stay with the team. Bitter with your job. Bitter with your old retrofitted commodore 64 that you use to log in to jetnation. But hey, the Mets won so...WHO CARES!!!!!

LL

Archived