Phins 3rd and 2 With 38 Seconds Left

PatsFanTX

Why the hell didn't they run the ball in that situation?????

They had a time out left and a run could have easily picked up 5 or 6 yards the way the Jets defense was sitting back.

Stupid call.

i guess they figured the JETS pass D was worse...which it is..lol

again...one of the worst 4th quarters ive seen...i feel bad for the offence..they get a good lead and defence screws it up..

They had a time out left and a run could have easily picked up 5 or 6 yards the way the Jets defense was sitting back.

Stupid call.

The way Harrington was going the Jets probably would never have expected it.

Agreed.

The genius label is wearing off real quick.

i guess they figured the JETS pass D was worse...which it is..lol

again...one of the worst 4th quarters ive seen...i feel bad for the offence..they get a good lead and defence screws it up..

sp, if that vaunted offense could have picked up one or two 1st downs instead of going 3 and out, the defense never would have been in that position.;)

sp, if that vaunted offense could have picked up one or two 1st downs instead of going 3 and out, the defense never would have been in that position.;)

it was lousy playcalling along with a tough defense stepping up-an untimely penalty and add a very mediocre Kevan Barlow

you would think a 20-3 lead would be good in the 4th quarter...

but youre right, one more 1st down woulda been it..

The Fins had one timeout left to boot. They could have rushed for the 1st down, since the Jets were playing back on their heels at the time. Then they could have taken 1 or 2 shots to the end zone, and if that failed, try a FG from closer range.

I like the result anyway.

The Fins had one timeout left to boot. They could have rushed for the 1st down, since the Jets were playing back on their heels at the time. Then they could have taken 1 or 2 shots to the end zone, and if that failed, try a FG from closer range.

I like the result anyway.

That's exactly what they should have done.

I still think Brown on a quick hitter up the middle would have easily picked up 5 or 6 yards.

Then toss two into the end zone for a chance to win.

Run it on 3rd down and call a timeout.

Then kick the FG.

I still think Brown on a quick hitter up the middle would have easily picked up 5 or 6 yards.

Then kick the FG.

You know it, we know it, too bad for the Fish that Nick didn't know it. Tough luck for the Fish. ;)

Well TaborJet can verify this because he sat next to me but I was screaming the whole game that the Fins needed to run more. That little off tackle run was killing the Jets. It was like the old Denver - Terrell Davis days, run right and watch for a cut back lane. It is ALWAYS there.

Yet they wanted to get fancy with fake reverses etc. They should have just lined up and played physical, smart football. They would have won easy.

Oh well -- no complaints here! :swing:

Then kick the FG.

that was a herm like call. they could have run it and even if they got stuffed they could have called timeout and kicked the same FG they tried.

any bills fan or jets fan living in bills media territory can tell you those were mularkey calls, just like any jet fan could predict a hackett call before the play was run.

Everything goes through the head coaches headset - it's on him whether he made the call or not.

Stupid call.

The answer is simple. Beacuse it probably would have been effective. Mike Mularkey is there to help us lose....I'm really starting to believe that. He's certainly not there trying to help us win. Hell no. That 3rd and 2 was huge!!!!!!!!! Absolutely, give it to Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie. Just pick up the 1st and take a shot at the endzone. But nope.....

Then kick the FG.

dear mr monday morning q'back & headcoach ; phins were just as effective throwing as they were running in the 4th quarter. maybe, just maybe the coaching staff remembers gettin stuffed on 4th & 1 earlier in the game. this thread could just as easily been what a stupid call if they did run & not pass without a 1st down.

You mean like when EM passed on the FG against the Colts and we lost by 3?

ouch...you know what though Jetcane-I'm with Max on this-we would have lost that game anyway-I'm sure of it...we caught one of the game's greatest QB's at the peak of his career...

Maybe, maybe not SFJ.

I just refuse to let our guys off the hook for a bad decision, especially when it is pointed out when another coach does it.

(And Willie Randolph needs to do a better job with his staff, too. He shoulda brought Heilman in friday after Mota put two guys on.)

dear mr monday morning q'back & headcoach ; phins were just as effective throwing as they were running in the 4th quarter. maybe, just maybe the coaching staff remembers gettin stuffed on 4th & 1 earlier in the game. this thread could just as easily been what a stupid call if they did run & not pass without a 1st down.

I guess you didn't notice how the Jets were so far back on their heels in the prevent defense. A quick hitter up the middle would have been good for 5 or 6 yards.

Worst thing that could have happened was the Jets stuff them, use a TO and kick the same FG they did with an incomplete pass.

Again, that was a stupid call.

Maybe, maybe not SFJ.

I just refuse to let our guys off the hook for a bad decision, especially when it is pointed out when another coach does it.

(And Willie Randolph needs to do a better job with his staff, too. He shoulda brought Heilman in friday after Mota put two guys on.)

we just haven't been able to stop anybody this year in that situation JC-we have a knack of making guys like Joey Harrington look like John Elway with our (non) prevent defense

we just haven't been able to stop anybody this year in that situation JC-we have a knack of making guys like Joey Harrington look like John Elway with our (non) prevent defense

The yards given up in the 4th Q yesterday is sickening.

But I have been saying this since Sept, with the Tenn and Buff games-

this team has to learn to CLOSE the game out and put the hammer down.

This is something I also put on the CS, having the D play way too soft with the lead.

The yards given up in the 4th Q yesterday is sickening.

But I have been saying this since Sept, with the Tenn and Buff games-

this team has to learn to CLOSE the game out and put the hammer down.

This is something I also put on the CS, having the D play way too soft with the lead.

I said this to my lady in response to her "why did the game get so close" question: Remember when the Jets were trying to come back against the Pats and the Pats got like 5 first downs in a row and ran off like 8 minutes . . . yeah, we can't do that yet.

That is the key to closing out the game, the offense has to step up and grab that last first down and effectively end the game. We all think the defense sucked at the end of the game and didn't step up, which is true, but the O needs to learn how to bury a team when they have the opportunity, i.e. step up when it matters the most.

I said this to my lady in response to her "why did the game get so close" question: Remember when the Jets were trying to come back against the Pats and the Pats got like 5 first downs in a row and ran off like 8 minutes . . . yeah, we can't do that yet.

That is the key to closing out the game, the offense has to step up and grab that last first down and effectively end the game. We all think the defense sucked at the end of the game and didn't step up, which is true, but the O needs to learn how to bury a team when they have the opportunity, i.e. step up when it matters the most.

Very Good Point, but you do have to be worried with the next to nothing of a pass rush we had there, I mean ****, we almost made Joey Harrington look like Peyton Manning. :bag:

I guess you didn't notice how the Jets were so far back on their heels in the prevent defense. A quick hitter up the middle would have been good for 5 or 6 yards.

The NYJ play that soft, bend but dont break, prevent defense even when they are not playing a strict prevent defense.

That is why opposing RBs are always getting 5-6 yards downfield before they get hit.

This is also why I say its more the scheme as much as it is a lack of talent on the DL.

I watched, and the players were not out of position when the ball is snapped. They were where they were supposed to be in the scheme, and it leaves gaps between the LOS and the LBs that are being filled by guards leading the RB thru.

I dont know how to fix it, but that's whAT I am seeing.

The NYJ play that soft, bend but dont break, prevent defense even when they are not playing a strict prevent defense.

That is why opposing RBs are always getting 5-6 yards downfield before they get hit.

This is also why I say its more the scheme as much as it is a lack of talent on the DL.

I watched, and the players were not out of position when the ball is snapped. They were where they were supposed to be in the scheme, and it leaves gaps between the LOS and the LBs that are being filled by guards leading the RB thru.

I dont know how to fix it, but that's whAT I am seeing.

I see the same thing as you Jetcane.

Too bad the Phins dumbass coaching staff couldn't see the same thing.

We keep seeing this every week. Teams with a running game that can exploit our marshmallow run-D, and they keep throwing the ball, or just making bad decisions.

I think it's that we've been facing some pretty bad coaches, although I suppose there is some subtle master plan that my tiny football mind cannot comprehend going on behind the scenes, or maybe Mangini is just mesmerizing the opposing OCs by jiggling his man-boobs at a subsonic level on the sideline and then asserting mind control.

One thing the D has been able to do is come up with turnovers.

Miami's TOs hurt them, even thought the NYJ didnt capitalize on them. It still stopped Dolphin drives and got the D off the field.

But watching opposing teams get chunks of yardage and having the D on its heels is disturbing.

Archived