Signs that Times are changing in NYC?

Latinlawyer

132-3221_IMG.jpg

FREDDY SEZ was at the mets game and ROOTING FOR THE METS!!!! Is he switching allegiances?

either way, we appreciate his support!

LL

Or maybe Yankees fans can support the Mets and be happy for their fans. I have never in my lifetime heard a Mets fan "support" the Yankees.

Or maybe Yankees fans can support the Mets and be happy for their fans. I have never in my lifetime heard a Mets fan "support" the Yankees.

You may have not HEARD it but it has been typed on this messageboard before. I hate the yanks but I do not root for the team facing them unless its the mets.

LL

However, if i yank fan pisses me off then wi ould root for the other team..

You may have not HEARD it but it has been typed on this messageboard before. I hate the yanks but I do not root for the team facing them unless its the mets.

LL

However, if i yank fan pisses me off then wi ould root for the other team..

But, to prove my point, you would never root for the yankees.

Whereas, most Yankees fans will root for the Mets.

I am a Yankee fan. I won't root for the Mets, but I don't hate the Mets. If the Red Sox win a WS I might need some zoloft or something to cheer me up -- If the Mets win a WS, I change the channel and watch cartoons.

The Yankee-Met "Rivalry" is completely one-sided.

And nothing is changing in New York:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2631763&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

4. Which Major League Baseball team do you root for during the regular season? (Results from April 2006 in parentheses)

--New York Yankees, 14 percent (12)

--Atlanta Braves, 10 percent (11)

--Boston Red Sox, 9 percent (11)

--Detroit Tigers, 7 percent (3)

--Los Angeles Dodgers, 5 percent (3)

--Chicago Cubs, 4 percent (5)

--Cleveland Indians, 4 percent (2)

--New York Mets, 4 percent (3)

It's probably a little different for me because my Dad and uncles are all die hard Mets fans. I'm a Yankee fan, but I don't have a problem rooting for the Mets at this point. Both teams represent NY, the greatest city in the world. That's all that matters to me at this point. Besides, your manager was a great Yankee.

I dont think most yank fans will root for the mets. I think maybe 30% of the yank fans will but not 50%+ ...

LL

Practically all the Yankee fans I know will not root for the Mets- that statement I think is just wrong.

But, to prove my point, you would never root for the yankees.

Whereas, most Yankees fans will root for the Mets.

maybe not most yankee fans but I bet it's like 10-1 ratio about rooting for eachother.

it's unheard of for met fans to like the yankees but not uncommon for yankee fans to root for yourself

Practically all the Yankee fans I know will not root for the Mets- that statement I think is just wrong.

rather than say that statement is wrong faba maybe it's time to do a little soulsearching. perhaps it's you're arrogance & miserable nature that drives others away from your team. try being nicer to people & reckognize others as quality posters when applicable. your sour attitude hardly makes you an ambassador for your team ;)

rather than say that statement is wrong faba maybe it's time to do a little soulsearching. perhaps it's you're arrogance & miserable nature that drives others away from your team. try being nicer to people & reckognize others as quality posters when applicable. your sour attitude hardly makes you an ambassador for your team ;)

Maybe he's learned from GS and SJ?;)

Just kidding guys.:Typotux:

joewilly anger management class was canceled this week.

This is my take on Mets and Yankees fan in general. This was very much a Mets town in the '80s as the Mets were a perennial contender, however that changed in the '90s to this date with the Yankees winning and all and the "boss" throwing insane amounts of money to keep his team competitive. Anyway, I doubt the Mets will take back the city in one year whether the Mets win the whole thing or not. But i don't think its impossible. If the Mets keep this young nucleus together I think this will become a Met town in a couple of years. I'd say the Break down right now among fans is in thirds.

1/3 Mets fans

1/3 Yankee fans

1/3 That'll just on the bandwagon

Right now the Yankees have that other third and its very much a yankee town because of that. I can totally see this changing.

I would never EVVVVEEEERRR root for the Mets.

Would rather root the Red Sox than the Mets.

I hope they are down tonight 1,000,000,000,000-1 after just the first inning.

Did you catch that yankee game tonight? oh right..i meant golf round not game.

Don't be so bitter. It happens. Maybe A-rod gets traded and the yanks will own the back pages again soon...

LL

Shawn, it sounds like you have something to get off your chest. Tell us what you are feeling.

Here is the Readers Digest condensed version

Dave Kingman tells 10 yr old kid (me) to go F himself after I politely asked him for an autograph. Ended up getting Ed Kranepool instead.

Mets trade my second favorite player growing up. Tom Seaver

Jets leave Shea to go to Medowlands.

86 Mets win World Series.

Mets fans don't want Willie as manager. (We don't want a Yankee running the Mets) Boy what a difference a year makes. When you bring in a bunch of hired guns to surround your young talent.

Of course you guys would never admit that now would you ? ;)

Dave Kingman tells 10 yr old kid (me) to go F himself after I politely asked him for an autograph. Ended up getting Ed Kranepool instead.

Mets fans don't want Willie as manager. (We don't want a Yankee running the Mets) Boy what a difference a year makes. When you bring in a bunch of hired guns to surround your young talent.

I'm with Kingman.;)

You're not alone, but do not be bitter about it, dude.

-Kingman was notorious for being a prick. True story: In 1969 I went to a WS series game at Shea (the "shoe polish" game) and before the game I saw then TV announce Tony Kubek behind homeplate. I asked him for his autograph and he just ****ing blew me off (I was 12). Didnt like him after that.

-The Rangers traded my favorite, Eddie G, and the Knicks sent Walt frazier to Cleveland. The business side of sports can svck.

-The Jets leaving Queens still svcks, but we continue to root for them, dont we?

-I love Willie as the mgr. I always like the way he played the game, and the team reflects a lot of him. Yogi Berra was a great Yankee and a good Met manager. If you were a Willie Randolph fan, how can you not like his team?

You're not alone, but do not be bitter about it, dude.

-Kingman was notorious for being a prick. True story: In 1969 I went to a WS series game at Shea (the "shoe polish" game) and before the game I saw then TV announce Tony Kubek behind homeplate. I asked him for his autograph and he just ****ing blew me off (I was 12). Didnt like him after that.

-The Rangers traded my favorite, Eddie G, and the Knicks sent Walt frazier to Cleveland. The business side of sports can svck.

-The Jets leaving Queens still svcks, but we continue to root for them, dont we?

-I love Willie as the mgr. I always like the way he played the game, and the team reflects a lot of him. Yogi Berra was a great Yankee and a good Met manager. If you were a Willie Randolph fan, how can you not like his team?

The Jets thing is more how they were treated by the Mets. People like to tease the Jets fan about how they don't have a home. Go take a look at the Jets schedules during the late 60's thru about 1977. Most of those years the Jets were the first 3,4,5 sometimes even 6 weeks of the season on the road !?!

Now the six weeks they were on the road to start the season in 73 was because of the Mets postseason run, but alot of those times the Jets couldn't get the stadium till the season was done. If the Jets are the red-headed stepchild to the Giants, then they were the bastard child to the Mets.

Of course there was money involved as well.

Look I'm just being honest here. You guys can take all the shots you want at the Yanks. They deserve it and I would be more than willing to help you take those shots the way they played against the Tigers.

If the Mets win I would be happy for Willie. He went through alot to get a managerial position and he has gone out and proved to alot of you Mets fans and Baseball fans in general that he is a good manager.

But to sit there and actually root for the Mets.

I'll pass.

I dont know if you are old enough to remember the Jets playing in Shea, but the technology was way different back then. Converting the field from baseball to football was a major chore. I understand how impractical it would have been to keep moving it back and forth.

The Jets always could have built their own stadium, and not played at Shea or Gnats stadium. They chose not to. I dont hold that against the Mets.

Archived