tick tick tick

Barton

A-rod: .280/.362/.485 with 6 homers, 16 RBI and 19 runs in 35 games

Wright: .216/.310/.378 with 1 homer, 6 RBI and 3 runs in 10 games

blind eye?

So let's see now, you say in one thread that anything can happen in a 7 game series, and that it does not determine the best team necessarily.

BUT, you can look at a 7 game series and so that a player is all of a sudden branded as not clutch?

Blackout, your agenda is so tired and failing in anything of objectivity. Your reliance on stats, without any insight to what is really going on spells that you do not understand baseball, other than to throw up statistics.

So let's see now, you say in one thread that anything can happen in a 7 game series, and that it does not determine the best team necessarily.

BUT, you can look at a 7 game series and so that a player is all of a sudden branded as not clutch?

Blackout, your agenda is so tired and failing in anything of objectivity. Your reliance on stats, without any insight to what is really going on spells that you do not understand baseball, other than to throw up statistics.

i never said those were the end-all stats.

look at it like this, Wright is still an unproven player. until he proves himself, he's nowhere near A-rod.

k? now shush.

C'mon Mess fans

Granted, Wright gets a pass since this is his first shot at the playoffs, but you'd be lying if you said you weren't concerned by his lack of "clutchness"

As a Yankee fan, I am concerned about ARod's, as a Mets fan, you shoud be as well

The 'Mess', beat the Yanks in games won 103-98 and advanced beyond the wildcard series,,

you may have a bigger 'mess' in the Bronx ;)

yeah, so when do they hand out the trophy for most regular season wins this year?

the same time David Wright wins his NLCS MVP award?

yeah, so when do they hand out the trophy for most regular season wins this year?

the same time David Wright wins his NLCS MVP award?

To tell you the truth, we're ecstatic at being close, but no cigar this year.

I'm not concerned about Wright in the postseason, unless he does it again next time.

Yep, and I'd much rather have the best hitter of all time, David Wright, huh? :rolleyes:

Blackout, I will give you a baseball lesson, free of charge.

Being able to talk baseball intellignetly does not include throwing out verses like "so and so is theh best baseball player ever", and just leaving it at that. Tell us why he is the best baseball player ever. And do not do it through an un-ending string of numbers and statistics only.

Unsupported opinions and statistics tell us nothing, other than you researched on-line or copied someone elses opinion.

Support what you state. Many other people do it in this forum, and it makes their point so much more credible.

Why is A-Rod the greatest hitter ever? And I do not mean through numbers or "he was the fastest player ever to....".

I will start for you.... Tom Seaver was the greatest pitcher that I ever witnessed in his prime. I say that partly because I am a Met fan and I enjoyed watching him pitch. He had the ability to bear down in crucial spots of a ball game and literally blow batters away. He was a thinking man's pitcher. He would guess along with the batter better than any other pitcher that I witnessed.

He also had the ability to come up big in a big spot. He had that resrve fastball stored away where all of a sudden he would hump it up. He once struck out the last 10 batters in a game. It wasn't even close. They had no chance.

He was a big game pitcher, also. He wanted the ball in big spots. The biggest failing that I saw him have was in the '73 Series. He took the ball on short rest, pitched game 6 (he could have pitched game 7 on full), and it did not work out.

The man was a horse and was physically gifted, but he played the mental part of pitching better than any other pitcher I saw until Clemens.

Just my opinion of course, but he is the best pitcher I have seen.

Blackout, I will give you a baseball lesson, free of charge.

Being able to talk baseball intellignetly does not include throwing out verses like "so and so is theh best baseball player ever", and just leaving it at that. Tell us why he is the best baseball player ever. And do not do it through an un-ending string of numbers and statistics only.

Unsupported opinions and statistics tell us nothing, other than you researched on-line or copied someone elses opinion.

Support what you state. Many other people do it in this forum, and it makes their point so much more credible.

Why is A-Rod the greatest hitter ever? And I do not mean through numbers or "he was the fastest player ever to....".

I will start for you.... Tom Seaver was the greatest pitcher that I ever witnessed in his prime. I say that partly because I am a Met fan and I enjoyed watching him pitch. He had the ability to bear down in crucial spots of a ball game and literally blow batters away. He was a thinking man's pitcher. He would guess along with the batter better than any other pitcher that I witnessed.

He also had the ability to come up big in a big spot. He had that resrve fastball stored away where all of a sudden he would hump it up. He once struck out the last 10 batters in a game. It wasn't even close. They had no chance.

He was a big game pitcher, also. He wanted the ball in big spots. The biggest failing that I saw him have was in the '73 Series. He took the ball on short rest, pitched game 6 (he could have pitched game 7 on full), and it did not work out.

The man was a horse and was physically gifted, but he played the mental part of pitching better than any other pitcher I saw until Clemens.

Just my opinion of course, but he is the best pitcher I have seen.

Your point is well taken, but you need stats to support them also. Your opinion is just that: Your opinion. Adding stats and facts support your claim.

Example: I saw John Ellis hit 2 of longest HRs by a right hand hitter in the old Yankee Stadium in the early 1970s. In fact, he hit them both on days I attended that summer, same season. They were about 2 weeks apart, but they were 2 games I saw that season. Now, this would leave an impression on me, a young teenager at the time, that Ellis was the greatest right hand hitter in the game.

But a quick check of the stats will show he was anything but.................

Stats are a necessary component when making a statement about a player. But they are not the "be all" of attesting to greatness.

Your point is well taken, but you need stats to support them also. Your opinion is just that: Your opinion. Adding stats and facts support your claim.

Example: I saw John Ellis hit 2 of longest HRs by a right hand hitter in the old Yankee Stadium in the early 1970s. In fact, he hit them both on days I attended that summer, same season. They were about 2 weeks apart, but they were 2 games I saw that season. Now, this would leave an impression on me, a young teenager at the time, that Ellis was the greatest right hand hitter in the game.

Stats are a necessary component when making a statement about a player. But they are not the "be all" of attesting to greatness.

MBN-Blackout presents stats alone. period.

BTW-I was at Shea when Pete Rose hit 3 home runs in one game. Pete Rose.

MBN-Blackout presents stats alone. period.

I'm a 70% stats 30% opinion/stories guy. Stats present value, and some players get overhyped throughout history and stats help prove that (ie Nolan Ryan)

Its cool you think Tom Seaver was the best pitcher you ever saw.

Now, I personally can't imagine him being better than Clemens or Pedro, his stats certainly don't suggest it, but thats still cool.

Where did I say A-rod was the greatest hitter ever? Because I'd certainly take Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Gehrig, Wagner, Gibson, Aaron, Mantle, Dimaggio and Musial over A-rod as hitters.

Maybe even Ed Delahanty.

Archived