NFL- 2 international games every year approved

faba

International Games

By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20061024T224641Z"));11 minutes agoUPDATED -5 MINUTES AGO

NEW ORLEANS - Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.

The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.

No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.

The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home team during that span.

Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.

"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated.

"We're comfortable with it. Obviously we'd like to play in Mexico or Canada and not have to travel to Europe and that's probably the way it would be set up because of our location. But as far as the league's concerned, I think it's a great idea."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States when the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium, the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The league also has played numerous exhibition games overseas for the past two decades. The New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will play a preseason game next August in Beijing.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world. The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide," Goodell said.

Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said last month the league believes fans in a number of countries are now ready for the real thing. NFL games regularly have been televised live in Mexico and Canada and more recently in Europe, notably Britain.

"The preseason games and American Bowl games have worked well to introduce fans to the game," Waller said. "Once fans have gotten to know it and understand it, they are very aware that the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl are the real thing."

For the teams traveling to Europe to play next year...I hope their respective bye weeks come right before or after the game. Between jetlag and playing at least six time zones away, it will be difficult to play overseas with no time off.

International Games

By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20061024T224641Z"));11 minutes agoUPDATED -5 MINUTES AGO

NEW ORLEANS - Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.

The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.

No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.

The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home team during that span.

Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.

"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated.

"We're comfortable with it. Obviously we'd like to play in Mexico or Canada and not have to travel to Europe and that's probably the way it would be set up because of our location. But as far as the league's concerned, I think it's a great idea."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States when the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium, the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The league also has played numerous exhibition games overseas for the past two decades. The New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will play a preseason game next August in Beijing.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world. The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide," Goodell said.

Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said last month the league believes fans in a number of countries are now ready for the real thing. NFL games regularly have been televised live in Mexico and Canada and more recently in Europe, notably Britain.

"The preseason games and American Bowl games have worked well to introduce fans to the game," Waller said. "Once fans have gotten to know it and understand it, they are very aware that the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl are the real thing."

Big mistake.

As I've said in prior posts about this topic the NFL is not popular outside of the Americas.

The Germans have a passing interest due to the American Military over there but after that no one cares.

Don't get me wrong. I love the NFL but most other Countries find it as boring as most Americans find soccer.

I am against oversea games... People are not always getting used to new culture and climate in no time... 2 weeks to get settled over there and another 2 weeks to get settled here after returning from oversea.. Because of 16 games season, it may affect teams' chance for playoff.

P.S. I may be exeggrating about how long to get settled but 3 days- 5days in Europe or Orient prior to game is not enough..

This is just not a good idea and I agree with the bye week idea. Hell teams are having problems recovering when playing preseason games out of the country.

I agree.

This really sucks. I really don't understand why the NFL needs to market the game overseas.

I agree.

This really sucks. I really don't understand why the NFL needs to market the game overseas.

The NFL is looking for more $$.

Huge mistake.

Rugby, Aussie Rules and EPL teams have had games in the States and they have drawn crap crowds.

How many people will go to an NFL game in London or Berlin? 40,000 would be a stretch.

They should only play these games in Canada and Mexico.

Or a better Idea...why not have games in cities without teams.Like when the Pack played in Milwaukee...

The Bills could play in Syracuse...

The Bucs in Orlando...

The Jets and Giants could play in NY...:Cuss:

Huge mistake.

Rugby, Aussie Rules and EPL teams have had games in the States and they have drawn crap crowds.

How many people will go to an NFL game in London or Berlin? 40,000 would be a stretch.

Of course, it's for the money and trying to expand interest in the game. But, like you, I don't see it happening. Keep the sport in the US.

If the NFL wants to market their product in Europe they need to make it more accessible on television first (it is damn near impossible to watch football over there). If it takes off on tv then they can do the live game thing but right now no one really gives a f#ck about american football in Europe (other than a passing interest in it being a different sport from what they're accustomed to-but that's it).

imagine the bengal players in amsterdam...

:) That's funny. I'm with the majority here and think this is a really bad idea. It's all about greed, and proves they really aren't that concerned with the quality of football and the affect it has on fans. Pretty sad in my opinion...

I disagree

besides the local crowds where there are many ex-pats living outside of the country full time (London is the global capital of finance for example)

there will be many US based fans who make the trip just to see their team play

we all know Jets fans crazy enough to go to any backward place like Jacksonville or Cleveland to see a game, you think these people aren't going to go to London?

Even as a fan abroad I was never keen on this, the only

thing Europe cares about is soccer, no matter how many games

the NFL stage over here, thats how it will always be.

NFL "home" games are 8 a year, in soccer a team can have anything

from 20-35 games on their own pitch a season, and a big part of

it is following your team around your given country, so fans can attend

pretty much every game in 60+ match seasons.

And I think its just wrong that the NFL are going to reduce that number to 7, no matter how much compensation is given to the teams in question, thats still one less game a year for the teams own fans to be realistically able to attend.

It`ll end up just like that World Bowl thing they had years ago, once the

novelty wears off it`ll be barely half full stadiums for games that depending

on the teams involved would sell out if played in the US, would they black

out the game if tickets did`nt sell?

Manchester Utd/Barcelona/Real Madrid etc would`nt play a league game

abroad, instead they would tour the part of the world that is offering the

most in an appearance fee, all the big clubs are now off to various obscure

parts of the world that now have the money to "rent" them if you like, and

it works, because those people WANT to see the soccer stars they are familiar with and have seen on TV etc.

Does Europe want the NFL? I would argue not, the NFL wants Europe

far more and it seems is prepared to short change the fans back home

to acheive this.

If the NFL really wants to appease the audience it has abroad it could

start by not charging outrageous fees for radio coverage and giving

something back for a change, oh and it could sort out the gamecentre coverage aswell, because its just rubbish.

Myself personally if I wanted to see the Jets it would be on their

own pitch, inside their own stadium in their home city, NOWHERE else.

I think it will effect the actual product. The players don't want the extra travel hassles, the coaches don't want the extra travel hassles and distraction, logistics are more complicated, no "home" crowd. It's difficult enough to play hard for 16 games.

I applaud the NFL for their forward thinking. Build a fan base overseas and make even MORE money in the future. But, this fan hopes it fails.

I think it will effect the actual product. The players don't want the extra travel hassles.

I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't fight this.

This will absolutely suck for the players.

A meaningless preseason game is one thing, a regular season game is totally different.

I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't fight this.

This will absolutely suck for the players.

A meaningless preseason game is one thing, a regular season game is totally different.

I would imagine that the NFLPA is under the belief that if the NFL can generate additional revenues - somehow that will translate to more money for the players eventualy.

I think it will effect the actual product. The players don't want the extra travel hassles, the coaches don't want the extra travel hassles and distraction, logistics are more complicated, no "home" crowd. It's difficult enough to play hard for 16 games.

I applaud the NFL for their forward thinking. Build a fan base overseas and make even MORE money in the future. But, this fan hopes it fails.

I agree. best thing about the nfl is the level playing field for all teams. this will not help the cause.why don't we just buy the rest of the world hdtv?

Huge mistake.

A game in Germany would definatly get a full house,i believe they've had crowds of 50,000 for the Fire-Galaxy games and American football is probably the 3rd possibly even 2nd sport over there after soccer.

I reckon Britain could get a full house or a near full house for the game. 30,000(about 22,000 of which were newbies) showed up for the world bowl in Scotland in 2003,Scotland has the same population as London and when you consider this isn't an inferior version of the game then you could get a lot of new nfl fans through the doors.

The NFL is one of the bigger minority sports in the UK and it gets a lot of main stream coverage these days around superbowl time.I'd imagine any British NFL fan would be willing to travel down to London to see the real thing.

I'd love this to happen but i can understand season ticket holders frustrations.Although i shall point out that a flight to the UK is the same time as it takes to fly coast to coast in the states.

the more i think about it the more i think this is gonna be a big hit overseas

yes they love soccer but you know what the NFL has that soccer doesn't?

charisma -

whether it's all those hottie cheerleaders or crazy SOBs like Ray Lewis screamin and looking scary, the NFL puts on the world's best spectacle. I mean seriously a skinny guy with long hair in a headband taking a dive can't really hold a candle to NFL football in terms of pure spectacle. No it won't replace soccer but many people will come out to check it out.

People overseas are just starting to learn about American football but what they know, they like.

the more i think about it the more i think this is gonna be a big hit overseas

yes they love soccer but you know what the NFL has that soccer doesn't?

charisma -

whether it's all those hottie cheerleaders or crazy SOBs like Ray Lewis screamin and looking scary, the NFL puts on the world's best spectacle. I mean seriously a skinny guy with long hair in a headband taking a dive can't really hold a candle to NFL football in terms of pure spectacle. No it won't replace soccer but many people will come out to check it out.

People overseas are just starting to learn about American football but what they know, they like.

I think thats the one thing that will be against it from the off, europeans

dont generally like a lot of razmatazz with their sports, they`re an

impatient bunch and just want whatever they`re watching to start so they

can tear up seats and fight about it afterwards.

All the glitz & glamour that comes with US sports in general just does`nt

appeal to the wider audience they are seeking, they see it as more of

an interference rather than something that comes with the game, much

like trailers when you go to the movies..

I think thats the one thing that will be against it from the off, europeans

dont generally like a lot of razmatazz with their sports, they`re an

impatient bunch and just want whatever they`re watching to start so they

can tear up seats and fight about it afterwards.

All the glitz & glamour that comes with US sports in general just does`nt

appeal to the wider audience they are seeking, they see it as more of

an interference rather than something that comes with the game, much

like trailers when you go to the movies..

I reckon most europeans will have a problem with the stop-start nature of girdiron more than the ramatazz.Almost all mainstream sports in europe are flowing games,soccer being the big one,it always seems to be the main reason neturals can't get into the game.

I think you`re right Ten, go into a pub and ask anyone about

NFL and they`ll say either 2 things.....

1) It stops every 2 minutes for a break..

2) Why do they need all those pads, rubgy players don`t need them etc..

If they`d allow the product to be shown on free to air TV that would

be a good start, but no they keep the good stuff for pay TV & satellite.

Archived