Hot Stove: Mets

Latinlawyer

2b: Julio Lugo, Tony Graffanino, Mark Loretta - Out of this group I think JL and TG are probably the best bets

LF: Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee - Hmm, I just read the Post which says AS is not in the Mets plans...Could there be a trade in the offing for a LF?

RF: Will Shawn Green stay or go...who knows? either way we may want to see who is available.

SP: Zito, Japanese Phenom, Mulder, Lilly, Pettite: Pettite to the Mets? maybe...but the physical ailments make that move a very risky one. The Post reports Zito is not in the Mets Plans. Additionally, I read on of the sites saying the Mets Brain trust wants to give a huge posting amount to get the rights to the japanese phenom because the posting amount does NOT count towards the cap and they think they have a good shot to sign him. Mulder is coming off surgery so the Petitte comment applies to him as well. Lilly is an intriguing sign...he pitched well with Peterson.

RP: Heilmann is probably a goner. With Mota and Sanchez in the Fold, the mets dont need Heilmann. the bullpen will probably be :

Wagner

Sanchez

Mota

Chad Bradford

Feliciano

Royce Ring or someone else

Possible Trades:

Milledge and Heilmann for D. Willis: It appears that the Florida stadium will NOT be built...therefore, no incentive to keep contracts.

LL

Any other ideas on possible signings or trades?!?!?

What will the Mets payroll look like after these moves? $240M? $220?

With Glavine and Trachsel likely coming off the books this season (and Pedro Martinez, Cliff Floyd and other veterans right behind them before long), its safe to say the Mets will not be in the "other" NY team's ballpark.

And Smizzy, with Sheffield and A-Rod sticking around, the Yankees payroll doesn't appear to be shrinking anytime soon.

With Glavine and Trachsel likely coming off the books this season (and Pedro Martinez, Cliff Floyd and other veterans right behind them before long), its safe to say the Mets will not be in the "other" NY team's ballpark.

And Smizzy, with Sheffield and A-Rod sticking around, the Yankees payroll doesn't appear to be shrinking anytime soon.

Don't count on Sheff sticking around. He is a goner, IMO. Traded away the moment his option is picked up, or shortly thereafter.

A-Rod is on the books for $25 million, or there-a-bouts, but is acttually costing 16.6 million. I will take that anytime.

BTW - Glavine will still cost the Mets next season, as he has a buyout that will cost between 5 and 7 million, depending on who you believe.

The Marlins are looking for MORE prospects and catching option...the Mets want willis

here is the proposed deal...

Mets Get D. Willis

Give up Milledge, Heilmann and their top catching prospect.

I say F*** yeah! Do this and get Willis here.

Our Pitching lineup could look like:

Willis

Mulder

Glavine

Maine

O. Perez

Pedro in the wings for an AUgust September october push

Can you imagine October with a picthing line like this?!?!?

Martinez

Willis

Glavine

Mulder

Maine and O. Perez in long relief!!!

WHOA DADDY!!

LL

The Marlins are looking for MORE prospects and catching option...the Mets want willis

here is the proposed deal...

Mets Get D. Willis

Give up Milledge, Heilmann and their top catching prospect.

I say F*** yeah! Do this and get Willis here.

Our Pitching lineup could look like:

Willis

Mulder

Glavine

Maine

O. Perez

Pedro in the wings for an AUgust September october push

Can you imagine October with a picthing line like this?!?!?

Martinez

Willis

Glavine

Mulder

Maine and O. Perez in long relief!!!

WHOA DADDY!!

LL

LL, I have one word for this IF it happens SWEET

Sheffield is GONE and arod is 50-50.

LL, I have one word for this IF it happens SWEET

I am convinced Heilmann and Milledge are gone. I believe the Marlins would trade Willis...they traded other non-touchables....and recieved great players in return. Willis can land them Heilmann, Milledge and our best Catching Prospect...

Our team can win now, if we get Willis, we are well on our way to make that happen. I say Omar reaches out and stocks our SP bin now with Willis and Mulder...maybe add Lilly...you can never have too much pitching..

I say Omar go full blast on Willis...

LL

The three areas the Mets are sure to target in the off season- starting pitching, a left fielder and a second baseman.

I doubt Soriano or Lee will be brought in IMO. I expect a trade for a hitter.

I think that whomever gets Lee is in for a shock. He is not the hitter that he wants to be paid like.

Sori is the hitter who will get mucho $$$, but I think the Mets may pass if the bidding gets above some 13-14 million per. An Adam Kennedy or a Lugo may make more sense.

MBN, where do you t hink Heilmann would fit? is he a 3 or 4? I dont know if he has the stuff to be a 2.

If we could spin Milledge and Heilmann into D. WIllis you HAVE To do it!

LL

The way Heilmann handled the 8th inning after Sanchez got hurt, and the stuff he was throwing, leads me to feel he can reach a 3. Maybe you do not start him as a 3 in your rotation, but he should get there before the 1st year is out.

If Glavine really leaves, with Pedro in who knows what shape, pitching-wise, and Traschel all but gone, the Mets will have a spanking new rotation in 2007, compared to 2006. Heilmann should be there, as he lends some continuaty with the prior season, even if he was in the pen.

The way Heilmann handled the 8th inning after Sanchez got hurt, and the stuff he was throwing, leads me to feel he can reach a 3. Maybe you do not start him as a 3 in your rotation, but he should get there before the 1st year is out.

If Glavine really leaves, with Pedro in who knows what shape, pitching-wise, and Traschel all but gone, the Mets will have a spanking new rotation in 2007, compared to 2006. Heilmann should be there, as he lends some continuaty with the prior season, even if he was in the pen.

Another problem is controlability (is that a word??!). Heilmann I believe may be eligible for arb/FA soon. If the Mets can get a better starter than a potential Heilmann SP (package Milledge with Heilmman for D. Willis) then you do it. We have a good young base but some of the older guys have 1-2 years left...

D. Willis should be priority once Glavine decides to stay or go.

LL

Another problem is controlability (is that a word??!). Heilmann I believe may be eligible for arb/FA soon. If the Mets can get a better starter than a potential Heilmann SP (package Milledge with Heilmman for D. Willis) then you do it. We have a good young base but some of the older guys have 1-2 years left...

D. Willis should be priority once Glavine decides to stay or go.

LL

I don't have the info in front of me, but I think Heilmann has more control-ability for a team then Willis, who I believe is a FA after 2008.

I don't have the info in front of me, but I think Heilmann has more control-ability for a team then Willis, who I believe is a FA after 2008.

They both pitched in '03. I am not sure if Dontreele pitched a full season in '03, but he probably did. That makes him a FA after '08.

I am pretty sure that Heilman was a call-up in '03, so that makes him a FA in '09

This rumor is gaining some steam again. Plus a pretty decent off season site for BB rumors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Healey: Red Sox Like Heilman, Milledge

Mark Healey of Gotham Baseball has a new but familiar trade rumor for us: it appears that the Red Sox would like to acquire Aaron Heilman to be their closer next year. In addition, Theo Epstein and Co. may have their eye on Lastings Milledge. It could be the makings of a Manny Ramirez trade, if the Mets want to pay Ramirez's $39MM salary over the next two seasons.

Healey was not able to confirm this info from multiple sources, but has faith in his Boston source here.

Manny's contract may be slightly less daunting than it looks. That's because $8MM of the $31MM is deferred and will be paid out in $1.94MM doses over 2011-2026.

This rumor is gaining some steam again. Plus a pretty decent off season site for BB rumors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Healey: Red Sox Like Heilman, Milledge

Mark Healey of Gotham Baseball has a new but familiar trade rumor for us: it appears that the Red Sox would like to acquire Aaron Heilman to be their closer next year. In addition, Theo Epstein and Co. may have their eye on Lastings Milledge. It could be the makings of a Manny Ramirez trade, if the Mets want to pay Ramirez's $39MM salary over the next two seasons.

Healey was not able to confirm this info from multiple sources, but has faith in his Boston source here.

Manny's contract may be slightly less daunting than it looks. That's because $8MM of the $31MM is deferred and will be paid out in $1.94MM doses over 2011-2026.

Theo is killing the sux, what happens when manny isn't there to protect ortiz?

The thing about Heilman- the theory is that he is only a two pitch pitcher-fastball and change-up-not enough to be successful as a starter-who really knows?

Latest Rumors:

1)Mets and Soriano are informally negotiating...

2) Mets are Targeting D. Willis and Zito (in that order)

3) Mets will offer Marlins "a package they can't resist" for D. Willis

4) Omar has a "surprise" trade partner for a possible three way trade.

I have recieved calls and been scanning the web for these rumors. The last rumor i got from a friend who told me about the Beltran pickup 3 hours before it happened AND whose brother works closely with Omar...(its a latin thing...)

LL

Thanks Scott.

Teams interested in Heilmann

San Diego (as a starter)

Boston (as a starter)

Cubs (as a closer)

Florida (as a Starter)

Texas (as a Starter)

The Mets have willing trade partners. It appears that Omar will first try to pry D. Willis from the Marlins for Heilmann, Milledge and Jesus Flores the Catching prospect. If that doesnt work then the Mets will go after Zito and Mulder.

Either way, the SPs will be upgraded.

Now what to do about LF and 2b? I say Loretta and Graffanino. Hardworkers who get on base.!!!!

LL

The Mets can't trade Milledge. Just can't. Sure he didn't make the postseason roster but still you he has to be an untouchable.

For all the reasons the Mets did not win against the Cards -Zito would have not been the answer to the lack of clutch hitting.

For all the reasons the Mets did not win against the Cards -Zito would have not been the answer to the lack of clutch hitting.

Milledge can go because the Mets have....CARLOS GOMEZ....5 tool Outfielder..

I say we trade Milledge and Heillman plus Jesus Flores for D. Willis.

Also, was I high or did the NY Post report that Mussina would play for the mets?!?!!?!??!?!?!

Moose on The mets....interesting!

LL

Word from Tampa is that the Yanks have established a ceiling for Matsu's posting fee and it falls between 20-25 million.

It is rumored that the Wilpons have given Minaya the green light on Matsu of up to 32 million posting fee.

Could Matsusaka and his Gyroball be coming to Queens?!?!?!!?

wow...

LL

Milledge can go because the Mets have....CARLOS GOMEZ....5 tool Outfielder..

I say we trade Milledge and Heillman plus Jesus Flores for D. Willis.

Also, was I high or did the NY Post report that Mussina would play for the mets?!?!!?!??!?!?!

Moose on The mets....interesting!

LL

Mussina- not another older pitcher -I would pass on him LL

Yeah he is old. But the thought that he is considering the Mets is weird...I thought he loved being in the Bronx...

LL

It is all about the money for just about all the players- Mets/Yankees -who will give him the contract money and length he is seeking- buyer beware.

Archived