Could PennyBoy Be Benched????

PatsFanTX

Report: Pennington in danger of losing job

Chad Pennington's starting job reportedly could be in jeopardy if he performs poorly at New England in Week 10.

Pennington has four TDs to seven interceptions in his last five games and has seen his yards-per-attempt drop markedly since a hot start. NFL scouts are reportedly speculating that Pennington is suffering from arm fatigue. Patrick Ramsey and Kellen Clemens will increase their practice reps during the bye, possibly in competition to start down the stretch. Nov. 1 - 11:35 am et

Source: New York Daily News

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Patrick Ramsey and Kellen Clemens will increase their practice reps during the bye, possibly in competition to start down the stretch. Nov. 1 - 11:35 am et

Really? Wonder who told the reporter this. I'm sure it was Mangini.

Why do reporters just make stuff up and report it as truth?

after 4 years i would say it's safe to say we know what pennington can do. it remains to be seen what clemens is capable of and it would be a wasted season to finsish out of the playoffs and have no idea about clemens ability heading into next year. it could be 2 games, 4 games, or 8 games i really don't care but i want to see clemens get his shot.

What the article actually said :

Strength non-issue for Chad

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

When the quarterback with the second-highest completion percentage in NFL history hits only 11 of 28 passes in a game, as Chad Pennington did Sunday in Cleveland, it creates questions - especially since it was his second clunker in a four-week span.

Is something physically wrong with him? One NFL scout wonders if Pennington, who underwent a rigorous offseason program to rehab his twice-repaired throwing shoulder, is suffering from arm or shoulder fatigue.

Pennington said his arm is fine.

"Actually, I feel pretty good, arm-strength wise," he said yesterday, noting there were more overthrows than underthrows in Cleveland - his way of pointing out that strength isn't the issue.

Pennington said his performance will improve with better decision-making. That is supposed to be one of his strengths, but he's thrown six interceptions in the last four games, tying the worst four-game stretch of his career.

The entire passing game has fizzled. In Cleveland, Pennington completed throws to only four different players. At one point, he attempted 17 straight to the wideouts (the longest streak in his career), forgetting about the tight ends and backs. It was a dramatic change from the diverse attack that was unveiled at the start of the season.

"The chemistry between the quarterback and the receivers was really good, (and) we've kind of let that slip a little bit," Pennington admitted. For Pennington, the bye week comes at an opportune time. He'll get a chance to rest his arm a bit, with Patrick Ramsey and Kellen Clemens expected to get more reps than usual. If Pennington has a bad game in New England, his job status almost certainly will become an issue. notebook.gif

FURTHER REVIEW: The club received feedback from the league office on Chris Baker's controversial non-touchdown. Mangini refused to divulge the league's opinion. .. ,The team is taking "almost a training-camp mentality" in the bye week, Mangini said. They're practicing in full pads, addressing problem areas from the first eight games.

after 4 years i would say it's safe to say we know what pennington can do. it remains to be seen what clemens is capable of and it would be a wasted season to finsish out of the playoffs and have no idea about clemens ability heading into next year. it could be 2 games, 4 games, or 8 games i really don't care but i want to see clemens get his shot.

Exactly.

Why is this so hard to believe? This isn't so far-fetched like "Peyton Manning may not start the season b/c he keeps losing in the playoffs."

Don't forget that Chad's got mega-incentives tied to his playing time. If we're not going anywhere this year & Chad looks bad for the next 2 games, why not get an add'l $6M in cap relief for 2007 and get Clemens much-needed game experience while we're at it. We took him in round 2 to be our starter of the future (if he's any good), not round 7 to be a backup for 3+ years.

Since Chad's cap hit next year will be around $7M (before incentives) whether we keep or cut him, why not recoup the bulk of that so he effectively only costs $1M? Don't forget there's Curtis' hit next year as well if he retires or is cut & DRob will be around a $5M hit to the cap whether we keep or cut him as well. Ellis & Coles will combine for almost $15M in cap space & you don't want to need to renegotiate them further just to give Chad a few extra starts in '06.

Makes for interesting discussion, but heading into a bye week it matters little. He's starting the next 2 wks unless he has a 0 TD/5 INT week right away or gets injured.

Why is this so hard to believe? This isn't so far-fetched like "Peyton Manning may not start the season b/c he keeps losing in the playoffs."

Don't forget that Chad's got mega-incentives tied to his playing time. If we're not going anywhere this year & Chad looks bad for the next 2 games, why not get an add'l $6M in cap relief for 2007 and get Clemens much-needed game experience while we're at it. We took him in round 2 to be our starter of the future (if he's any good), not round 7 to be a backup for 3+ years.

Since Chad's cap hit next year will be around $7M (before incentives) whether we keep or cut him, why not recoup the bulk of that so he effectively only costs $1M? Don't forget there's Curtis' hit next year as well if he retires or is cut & DRob will be around a $5M hit to the cap whether we keep or cut him as well. Ellis & Coles will combine for almost $15M in cap space & you don't want to need to renegotiate them further just to give Chad a few extra starts in '06.

Makes for interesting discussion, but heading into a bye week it matters little. He's starting the next 2 wks unless he has a 0 TD/5 INT week right away or gets injured.

Sometimes you make way too much sense.

He has not played a full season in NFL, it makes a sense..

It could be a weather factor. QB with weak arm like Pennington, Leinart or Warner tends to struggle under non-calm weather.

It could be a fragile arm after 2 incomplete years due to shoulder surgeries. I think Ramsey should start against Patriots and Bears. Give Pennington a good rest and then see what happen from there.

Please dont start Clemens this year. He can play only as a mop up duty. He wont be ready to carry some weight on his shoulder.

Chad Pennington's starting job reportedly could be in jeopardy if he performs poorly at New England in Week 10.

Pennington has four TDs to seven interceptions in his last five games and has seen his yards-per-attempt drop markedly since a hot start. NFL scouts are reportedly speculating that Pennington is suffering from arm fatigue. Patrick Ramsey and Kellen Clemens will increase their practice reps during the bye, possibly in competition to start down the stretch. Nov. 1 - 11:35 am et

You would die from having that many orgasms ;)

He has not played a full season in NFL, it makes a sense..

It could be a weather factor. QB with weak arm like Pennington, Leinart or Warner tends to struggle under non-calm weather.

It could be a fragile arm after 2 incomplete years due to shoulder surgeries. I think Ramsey should start against Patriots and Bears. Give Pennington a good rest and then see what happen from there.

Please dont start Clemens this year. He can play only as a mop up duty. He wont be ready to carry some weight on his shoulder.

I agree with not throwing him in there right away with the terrible early-season protection. But holding a clipboard for all 16 games is too much for a guy we took in round 2 unless we're going to the playoffs.

I can't believe it plays out this way by pure coincidence. That if Chad doesn't reach his incentives in '06 then next year - if he's not the starter - his cap hit is effectively only $1M and would be just about the best backup QB in the NFL (can't think of any who would be a better one off the top of my head).

I agree with not throwing him in there right away with the terrible early-season protection. But holding a clipboard for all 16 games is too much for a guy we took in round 2 unless we're going to the playoffs.

I can't believe it plays out this way by pure coincidence. That if Chad doesn't reach his incentives in '06 then next year - if he's not the starter - his cap hit is effectively only $1M and would be just about the best backup QB in the NFL (can't think of any who would be a better one off the top of my head).

I have no problems with keeping penne as backup......none at all

I know how bad some of you guys want to see Pennington benched and it might be nice to get a glimpse of Clemens, but no matter how bad Pennington does they aren't starting Clemens the following week. IF Penny gets benched for a poor performance against the Pats, they would probably go with Ramsey. They are not starting Clemens against the Bears. Be senseless to throw the guy to the wolves in his first game.

I know how bad some of you guys want to see Pennington benched and it might be nice to get a glimpse of Clemens, but no matter how bad Pennington does they aren't starting Clemens the following week. IF Penny gets benched for a poor performance against the Pats, they would probably go with Ramsey. They are not starting Clemens against the Bears. Be senseless to throw the guy to the wolves in his first game.

I think the general consensus is to see what clemons can do after back to back losses vs bears & pats, at least that's what makes the most sense to me.

Leinart seemed to do well against the Bears. Leinart is a rookie. I think that was his second start. It's harder to gameplan for rookies because you don't know what they can do, might as well let Clemens play the Bears first.

Be careful Tx, if this happened you're liable to pull it off in your excitement...

TX, you should be concern if this happens. It makes up 75% of your Fxxking material :wink:

Actually Chan, as a Pats fan, I'd love to see PennyBoy as the starting QB for years to come.

Can't hate those automatic 2 wins every season.;)

I don't buy it, if Penny got benched for poor performance, it would close the case and complete validate multiple years and 1000's on posts on your part trying to convince jet fans that he wasn't that good.

I imagine you would be in your glory...

I don't buy it, if Penny got benched for poor performance, it would close the case and complete validate multiple years and 1000's on posts on your part trying to convince jet fans that he wasn't that good.

I imagine you would be in your glory...

The sad thing is Chan, I knew this back in 2002.;)

I'm thinking we play chad up until we are out of the playoff picture. When that happens we start Clemens. It's not that I hate penny, what the jets to lose to get a higher draft pick, like clemens, or think tx knows a darn thing about football. It's because it makes sense. Chad gives the jets the best chance to win. but it will be meaningless for him to continue to play if the jets are out of the playoff hunt. it is to the jets advantage to play clemens as soon as possible once we are eleminated from playoff picture to not only see if he can play, but to also get his feet wet and prepare to start for the team next year if he is ready to do so. if not the jets will have an idea whether to get a qb in this years draft. tx is just retarded and his team got smiled upon by the football gods. the pats suck balls... however, they do play good football.:Nuts:

I love Pennington and would love more than anything to see him succeed, but it really seems like he just can't win big games for anything. Yes, he beat San Diego and Indie in the playoffs, but that's only two games. He couldn't do anything against the Browns in a must win game?

We've got a young team and and I'd love to see a young QB get in their and grow with the team.

Don't believe a word of it.

Whether or not he's struggled in 2 of the last 4 games the team is still 4-4 and mathmatically still much in the playoff hunt. Here are the teams ahead of the Jets for the Wild Card:

San Diego / Denver (whoever isn't in 1st place since they're both 5-2)

Jacksonville, 4-3

Cincinnati, 4-3

N.Y. Jets, 4-4

This team is still very much in the playoff hunt and even if we lose to New England there will not be a change before the Chicago game and most likely even if we're 4-6 not after either. Patrick Ramsey isn't going to start unless Chad gets hurt in the coming weeks and the only way I see Kellen taking the field is when this team is mathmatically eliminated (if they ever are).

Read JohnnyBones post above.

would you stop telling bleedgreen what to do. maybe he doesn't like johnnybones. perhaps mr bones is on his ignore list.

I'll bet you're even bossier on you're home site....... hell I might even log on to finhaven & find out for myself ;)

Archived