Jeter Wins 3rd Gold Glove

Maxman

Ive been a Yankee fan since 1982. 4 years before you became a Mets fan (1986).

Oh & as far a DJ being the worst SS FPCT wise in 1996.

Derek Jeter - .969 (E)-22

Rey Ordonez- .962 (E)-27

Mike Grudzielanek- .959 (E)-27

Walt Weiss- .957 (E)-30

Jose Valentin- .950 (E)-37

& Just for Fun...

GOLDEN GLOVE WINNER @ SS in 1996

Omar Vizquel - .971 (E)-20

Notice there were At least 4 other starting SS in MLB in 1996 that were much worse than Derek Jeter. Icluding the NY Mets SS who was touted by Mets fans to be a good defensive player. Please take notice that Vizquel who won the gold glove in 1996 was .002 FPCT higher than Jeter and had 2 less errors.

Smizzy, I never said his fielding pct was the worst.

Fielding pct is only a very small part in determining a Shortstops defensive status.

The fact that I even have to explain that to you shows you are missing the point and don't know what you are talking about.

Like I said kudos for all the hard work he put in to become a good defensive SS. Early on in his career that was not the case.

Smizzy, I never said his fielding pct was the worst.

Fielding pct is only a very small part in determining a Shortstops defensive status.

The fact that I even have to explain that to you shows you are missing the point and don't know what you are talking about.

Like I said kudos for all the hard work he put in to become a good defensive SS. Early on in his career that was not the case.

Please use facts to enlighten me to why he was considerd the worst defensive short stop in 1996. Im very intrested in learning a lesson today.

Please use facts to enlighten me to why he was considerd the worst defensive short stop in 1996. Im very intrested in learning a lesson today.

Defensive metrics or stats from 1996 would be next to impossible to find.

Anyway here's a link to the jist of what I am talking about.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_weisman/02/03/defense.metrics/index.html

I've always viewed the GG as an absolute joke and that was only confirmed when Raffy Palmeiro won it for 1B years back after starting seven games at first base and the rest as DH. It's a nice award, congrats to all the winners, but it's a popularity contest the people begin to win regularly based on reputation as having won one in the past. JMO.

Archived