Jets gain 9.15 Million over the next 3 years.

madmike1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thomas should be the biggest guy on our radar if he's available without a franchise tag attached to him. Has done well in both the 3-4 and 4-3, gets to the QB, and is HUGE for a LB at 270 lbs. If this team wants its Willie McG type OLB, then this is our man.

Agreed. Thomas should be #1 on our radar but Sameul or Clements a close second seeing as there is no big boy impact type NT out there.

Agreed. Thomas should be #1 on our radar but Sameul or Clements a close second seeing as there is no big boy impact type NT out there.

The guy on Oakland is a big body at 335 lbs but at 6'7 might be a bit tall for NT. Then again, it's not like we have a definitely-better option either on the team now or available to us next year. The expression "beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind.

Very true but it seems that for every curtis there are 5-6 james' or jordans....

good point. The thing about James and Jordan both though, they came from teams with good o-lines. And James had one of the most prolific passing attacks we've ever seen to help him out. Jordan? Well lets face it, he's starting to look like he was overrated. Whats the word on SD's O-line this year? Pretty good or not so much so?

good point. The thing about James and Jordan both though, they came from teams with good o-lines. And James had one of the most prolific passing attacks we've ever seen to help him out. Jordan? Well lets face it, he's starting to look like he was overrated. Whats the word on SD's O-line this year? Pretty good or not so much so?

very good.

Jets would be foolish if they spend big money on grade A free agents as Martin has yet to announce his retirement.

I dont think Jets will go hard after Thomas or Briggs or Samuels because they will commit to big freaking contract....

Jets will continue to sign cheap fa to fill in the hole such as RB Buckhalther, WR Wilford or DT Traylor.

Martin will not prevent the signing of any big-name FA's. I don't know the exact # but we could be in the range of $30M under the cap next year even if Martin is on the roster. If he retires it only clears up more room since we need not take his entire $5-6M hit all at once.

I don't know that this past off-season is necessarily a blueprint to how we will always proceed in the off-season. There weren't as many big-name FA's out there this year b/c everyone got an add'l $10M in cap relief. Plus we were carrying Abe's $8M+ franchise cap # around until after most of those guys were gone. Until he was traded, we were right up against the cap.

Once Abe was gone, we willingly kept the #4 overall pick for D'Brick even though he commanded about $20M in bonuses without veteran experience that FA's bring. Translation: we gave superstar money to a guy we likely knew wouldn't play at a superstar level for at least 2 years.

Time will tell.

1. Dwight Freeney, DE, Indianapolis Colts

- Most Def that is a guy the Jets should try to sign. Him and Michael Turner have to be the top FA targets.

2.Adalius Thomas, OLB, Baltimore Ravens

- Ok, but our bigger needs on defense are DT and DE

3. Nate Clements, CB, Buffalo Bills

- Please, after 5 years of Herm and now Mangini loading up on overpriced DB's we should all be pretty sick of it.

4. Lance Briggs, OLB, Chicago Bears

5. Asante Samuel, CB, New England Patriots

6. Cato June, OLB, Indianapolis Colts

7. Eric Steinbach, G, Cincinnati Bengals

- I have a feeling Adrian Jones will be the starting LG next year and Trey Teague will be the starting RG.

8. Leonard Davis, T, Arizona Cardinals

- Could put him in at RT.

9. Ken Hamlin, S, Seattle Seahawks

- Another safety? By the time it's all said and done half the roster is going to be DB's.

10. Chris Brown, RB, Tennessee Titans

- Injury prone veteran RB. Not the kind of guy you want to give a long-term contract to. Michael Turner is a much better option here or draft Peterson or Michael Bush. Then sprinkle in some Brian Leonard in Round 2 and you have your backfield for the next 5-6 years.

Where would Freeny play in this scheme? I like the guy, but isn't he basically a less injury prone Abraham? He's not going to move to OLB, so I don't see him being a good fit, especially for that kind of chee$e.

I hear you about the DBs, but I wouldn't be so sour on getting Clements or another top cover corner. WIth Dyson and another top corner, they can start playing a real man D, that will free up defenders in the box to stop the run.

Also, man corners tend to fit in faster than other FA/rookie pickups.

Very solid. Probably in the top third of the league, but Turner is also the real deal. Then again, we thought that too about Jordan, so I dunno. Lately the Chargers have been using Turner more for runs and LT a bit more for receptions.

- Most Def that is a guy the Jets should try to sign. Him and Michael Turner have to be the top FA targets.

- Please, after 5 years of Herm and now Mangini loading up on overpriced DB's we should all be pretty sick of it.

- I have a feeling Adrian Jones will be the starting LG next year and Trey Teague will be the starting RG.

- Another safety? By the time it's all said and done half the roster is going to be DB's.

- Injury prone veteran RB. Not the kind of guy you want to give a long-term contract to. Michael Turner is a much better option here or draft Peterson or Michael Bush. Then sprinkle in some Brian Leonard in Round 2 and you have your backfield for the next 5-6 years.

This isn't John Madden Football. Dwight Freeney would be absolutely useless in the 3-4 scheme, unless you want to make a 29-year old that has never played the position the highest paid outside linebacker in NFL history. Although, I am sure you spend the next year bitching that we didn't do just that.

My free agent list:

1. Thomas

2. Samuel

3. Turner

As for Briggs, no clue how he'd fit into a 3-4, but he is one of the most under-appreciated players in the league. That guy is an absolute beast, and every bit as good as Brian Urlacher, IMO.

Dwight Freeney will not and cannot work in a 3-4 defense so that would be a total waste and the Colts will franchise him if a long term deal isn't worked out.

My Top FA Targets:

1. CB Asante Samuel

2. OLB Adalius Thomas

3. RB Michael Turner

I'd like the Jets to sign Eric Steinbach. Put him at LG and watch what happens.

Adalius Thomas would be next on my list. And 1 of the top 3 FA corners (Samuel, Ike Taylor and Nate Clements) would be great.

Actually, Terrel Sands from Oakland would be a very good option at nosetackle, he is tall but he will command 2 blockers easily.

I'd like the Jets to sign Eric Steinbach. Put him at LG and watch what happens.

Adalius Thomas would be next on my list. And 1 of the top 3 FA corners (Samuel, Ike Taylor and Nate Clements) would be great.

Actually, Terrel Sands from Oakland would be a very good option at nosetackle, he is tall but he will command 2 blockers easily.

Not a huge Steinbach fan... You can get that same player in the draft. Thomas is a guy who you HOPE you draft so i'd make him priority no 1.

Dwight Freeney will not and cannot work in a 3-4 defense so that would be a total waste and the Colts will franchise him if a long term deal isn't worked out.

My Top FA Targets:

1. CB Asante Samuel

2. OLB Adalius Thomas

3. RB Michael Turner

Change to the 4-3. Freeney doesn't fit it? Neither does Jonathan Vilma our best player.

Because Samuel is younger and has a much better upside than Clements.

Again, no way the Pats let Asante Samuel leave.;)

The day after Samuel leaves the patsys:

PatsFanTx: We're much better off without that piece of crap. We'll just replace him with Troy Brown's walker.

The day after Samuel leaves the patsys:

PatsFanTx: We're much better off without that piece of crap. We'll just replace him with Troy Brown's walker.

madmike, serious question here without a poll:

Do you really think the Pats will let one of the top, young CB's in the NFL leave?

madmike, serious question here without a poll:

Do you really think the Pats will let one of the top, young CB's in the NFL leave?

I have no idea what they will do. They consistantly show that they could care less about taking care of their players...

I have no idea what they will do. They consistantly show that they could care less about taking care of their players...

Ummm, you think it might have anything to do with the majority of those players being on the north side of 30 years old and and younger ones (Branch) who think they are worth much more than they deserve?

Why the hell would any team want to "take care of players" for what they did in the past?

Ya know, kinda like the Jets did for CuMar.

How's that working out right now?;)

Ummm, you think it might have anything to do with the majority of those players being on the north side of 30 years old and and younger ones (Branch) who think they are worth much more than they deserve?

Why the hell would any team want to "take care of players" for what they did in the past?

Ya know, kinda like the Jets did for CuMar.

How's that working out right now?;)

The jets were straight with Martin and it's not hurting them at all. He's going to retire as a beloved jet, have his number retired and he'll be part of the jet family for the rest of his life... (Thats how a class franchise treats their icons.) And the jets will get 9 million in cap room.

(Thats how a class franchise treats their icons.)

Well that's really sweet of the Jets.

BTW, how has that "touchy-feely, take care of the icons", translated into Super Bowl appearances for the Jets, let's say, over the last 37 years?

Teams that pay players for past performance (like the Jets) will never compete in today's NFL.

Well that's really sweet of the Jets.

BTW, how has that "touchy-feely, take care of the icons", translated into Super Bowl appearances for the Jets, let's say, over the last 37 years?

Teams that pay players for past performance (like the Jets) will never compete in today's NFL.

Curtis wasn't paid for past preformence. he was paid because if he's healthy, he's a good running back. He ended up being hurt. And there is also a BIG difference between being touchy feely and treating players (and coaches) who have helped put rings on your fingers like CRAP.

Curtis wasn't paid for past preformence. he was paid because if he's healthy, he's a good running back. He ended up being hurt. And there is also a BIG difference between being touchy feely and treating players (and coaches) who have helped put rings on your fingers like CRAP.

Why would you give, a then 32-year old RB, a huge contract extension through 2009, if that wasn't "paying for past performance"?

How have 32+ year old RB's fared in the history of the NFL?

So Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini were also treated like "crap" by the Pats?

Two are now HC's in the NFL and the other has the most prestigious job in all of college football.

Yea, the Pats treated them like crap.:eek:

You can't really be this dumb, can you?

Why would you give, a then 32-year old RB, a huge contract extension through 2009, if that wasn't "paying for past performance"?

How have 32+ year old RB's fared in the history of the NFL?

So Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini were also treated like "crap" by the Pats?

Two are now HC's in the NFL and the other has the most prestigious job in all of college football.

Yea, the Pats treated them like crap.:eek:

You can't really be this dumb, can you?

Players and coaches who left your classless franchise were all treated like dogs. Just because you get a lucky 6th round QB, a few lucky calls and bounces and you win 3 super bowls does NOT mean that thats the only way a winning team can handle themselves. You might not know this but other teams besides the patsys win super bowls. In fact there are other good teams in the NFL who handle their franchises in a class manner who win on a consistant basis...

When mumbles retires he'll have his rings but he'll leave with ZERO good will in the game of football because everyone knows that he's a dispicable human being.

Because Samuel is younger and has a much better upside than Clements.

Again, no way the Pats let Asante Samuel leave.;)

OK, but he's not actually any better? What is he-2 years younger? I don't care as much about age or upside on CB. They are hired guns to me, like Dyson. I'd just get the best bang for the buck because hopefully in a couple of years when they are done D.Colman/Justin Miller or whatever late round CB we pick in '07-'08 will be good.

OK, but he's not actually any better? What is he-2 years younger? I don't care as much about age or upside on CB. They are hired guns to me, like Dyson. I'd just get the best bang for the buck because hopefully in a couple of years when they are done D.Colman/Justin Miller or whatever late round CB we pick in '07-'08 will be good.

You nailed it Dom.

All FA is about is getting your best bang for the buck, just like the Jets did with Dyson this year.

Good post.

Please name one coach that was "treated like a dog" by the Pats.

Every coach that left bettered himself two-fold.

They did but they were still treated like crap by mumbles and the patsy front office to the point where there were articles ALL OVER THE BOTSON papers slamming mumbles for his classless actions. But you probably don't know that because you don't live anywhere near boston like a typical bandwaggoner.

Archived