Greatest cover version ever

Preston Howley III

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cash did a cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind". It's not the greatest cover ever, but it greatly improves on the original.

I'm partial to Clapton's cover of "Tulsa Time", but I don't see how any cover can really compare to "All Along the Watchtower".

It may not be the best cover ever,but I just discovered a cover of "Baby Got Back" by a singer named Jonathan Coulton.

Again,not the best cover ever,as the original isn't that great,but this one is....shall we say,different.

Also just downloaded a cover of "Mad World" by Gary Jules that was played at the end of Donnie Darko and is currently being used in the commercials for Gears of War.

The best cover in my opinion though is the Cash cover of "hurt",but i thought i'd throw out others for the purpose of discussion.

Gotta chip in with this oldie.

But it was a real goody.

Vanilla Fudge doing the Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On"

Hell yes Doug - great pick. Would have never thought of it.

While on the Yardbirds - their cover of Mose Allison's - I'm Not Talking

Two from Faith No More:

War Pigs

Easy

Love'em both

They do Let's lynch the landlord (Dead Kennedys), and Harry Nielson's Midnight Cowboy on that EP, too!

Gotta chip in with this oldie.

But it was a real goody.

Vanilla Fudge doing the Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On"

Fudge had a comeback album in the 80's and did Dionne Warwick's Walk on by.

The Cure doing Hello I Love You

Dynamite Hacks doing Boyz in the Hood

Faster Pussycat doing You're So Vain

Yeah, I like FP's version of You're so vain.

Just heard Disturbed do a cover of Genesis song Land of Confusion

not the best ever but not a bad rendition

Rainbow doing a hard rock version of the Yardbirds Still Im Sad is one of my favorites

I like both of those, too!

...can't forget the Pistols doing "My Way"

Pistols do I'm not your stepping stone, by the Monkees!

no brainer

SRV doing VooDoo Chile

Great choice.

Wow, we got some really good picks, here! Lets keep it going then we can do a poll on the top 3!

I'll add to the list:

Stevie Wonders Higher Ground by the RHCP's, and Stevie's Superstition done by SRV. ;)

Sorry for another oldie, but.....

The Byrds doing Bob Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man

I second that.

Listen, when it comes to covers, and determining their greatness, do we lean towards originality(Vanilla Fudge's You keep me hanging on), or copying it note for note (SRV's Voodoo Chile)?

I'm in the first camp. I think when a band takes somebody elses song, and makes it their own, and it works, that to me, defines greatness.

I think anybody can take somebody elses song and do it exactly the way it was originally done. It's a tribute, it's flattering, but it's not "greatness".

I second that.

Listen, when it comes to covers, and determining their greatness, do we lean towards originality(Vanilla Fudge's You keep me hanging on), or copying it note for note (SRV's Voodoo Chile)?

I'm in the first camp. I think when a band takes somebody elses song, and makes it their own, and it works, that to me, defines greatness.

I think anybody can take somebody elses song and do it exactly the way it was originally done. It's a tribute, it's flattering, but it's not "greatness".

I like when somebody takes somebody else's song and makes it something else.

The Cure doing Hello I Love You

Dynamite Hacks doing Boyz in the Hood

Faster Pussycat doing You're So Vain

That Dynamite Hack version is awesome. Like Lounge Against the Machine, they are cool, but after too many they get tiring. I can listen to them do Boyz in the Hood all day.

All this Dionne Warwick and Supremes talk reminded me of another favorite:

White Stripes doing Burt Bacharach's "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"

I can't believe this wasn't said already, but I have a feeling I know why- The Best cover song of all time was Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower. That was originally a Dylan tune. Jimi did such a damn good job of it that most people don't even know that it was a Dylan tune. I dare anybody to tell me there's a better job of a cover tune in the history of music.

More recently, Ray Lamontagne did an awesome job covering Gnarles Barkley's Crazy. In fact, Ray's version is 10 times beeter than Barkley's.

Also, John Mayer shockingly did an awesome cover of Hendrix's Wait Until Tommorow. Didn't know he could play that well.

I can't believe this wasn't said already, but I have a feeling I know why- The Best cover song of all time was Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower. That was originally a Dylan tune. Jimi did such a damn good job of it that most people don't even know that it was a Dylan tune. I dare anybody to tell me there's a better job of a cover tune in the history of music.

I said that.

Cash did a cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind". It's not the greatest cover ever, but it greatly improves on the original.

I'm partial to Clapton's cover of "Tulsa Time", but I don't see how any cover can really compare to "All Along the Watchtower".

Aha, here it is. It was hidden at the end of your post. I guess I should read the whole thing next time lol.

Wow!

Four pages and completely overlooked. That one might make the Poll. I think All along the watchtower is the favorite at this point and nobody is a close second.

Yeah...

I'd forgotten about AATW

That is a real good one.

What an incredible guy Hendrix was.

Wrote and played some amazing stuff.

And also changed around and played some great stuff written by others.

He took the guitar to a whole new place.

Archived