ESPN New Report: Red Sox Won Bidding of Japanese Pitcher

Latinlawyer

ESPN is reporting that the Red Sox won the rights to Matsuzaka with a bid of $42 million dollars.

ESPN's Orestes Destrade said Monday on XM radio that the Red Sox were the winner of Daisuke Matsuzaka's rights with a bid of about 5 billion yen.

Which would be $42 million. Destrade used to play for the Seibu Lions, the same team that is posting Matsuzaka, so his sources are likely pretty good. The Lions could announce whether they've accepted the bid tonight or Tuesday.

This will be announced by 5pm EST today.

LL

I have seen this guy pitch as I travel extensively for work. He is nice but he is nothing more than a # 3 starter. They say he throws 92 mph. But that is 92 yen. Converted to American it is like 84 mph. He throws a lot of pitches but only has 3 out pitches.

Nice signing. Overpaid though, I am glad the Yankees passed.

but but but but I thought the poor sawx couldnt compete with the Yankees spending....waaaaaaaaaa

If the Yankees would have won this thing with a 42 mill bid, there would be an outcry from every sports network and major newspaper. Fact.

You are BIPOLAR...If the YANKEES do something its GENIUS...if any other team does it ITS CRAP. Dude, can you for once make a comment without the homerism? You KNOW if the Yanks coughed up that amount of scratch you would have been as jubilant as possible. The 42 mil posting does not affect the luxury tax...so everyone could have posted it up. The Sox, it looks like, took a risk to get them pitching in a division where besides two pitchers (Wang and Halladay) there is no real ace of a staff. Matsuzaka can be an ace...

Is 42 million a lot? Yes..it is a ton but the pitcher is a good prospect and he went 3-0 and was the MVP of the WBC. He can pitch.

Anyway, if the story is true, congrats to the sox and good luck Matsuzaka.

LL

but but but but I thought the poor sawx couldnt compete with the Yankees spending....waaaaaaaaaa

If the Yankees would have won this thing with a 42 mill bid, there would be an outcry from every sports network and major newspaper. Fact.

Barton is absolutely right about this. I can't even imagine the outcry from some of the posters on this board,much less on espn and the rest of the media,if the yankees had bid and won with $40+mil. You couldn't turn around without hearing how the "Yankees are making a mockery of the posting system and baseball in general by not playing on a level field,blah blah blah".

Yet the red sox do it,and nothing. In fact,odds are they actually get praised for a.)showing they're serious about fixing what went wrong last season b.)showing the world they'll do what it takes to bring down those awful,evil new york yankees and c.)for doing what they had to to keep him out of the Yankees hands.

And now I'm gonna go ahead and guess my post and barton's post will get the obligitory response from the yankee hater nation

"$200 million....ruining baseball...almost twice what the next team spends...no right to complain"

You are BIPOLAR...If the YANKEES do something its GENIUS...if any other team does it ITS CRAP. Dude, can you for once make a comment without the homerism? You KNOW if the Yanks coughed up that amount of scratch you would have been as jubilant as possible. The 42 mil posting does not affect the luxury tax...so everyone could have posted it up. The Sox, it looks like, took a risk to get them pitching in a division where besides two pitchers (Wang and Halladay) there is no real ace of a staff. Matsuzaka can be an ace...

Is 42 million a lot? Yes..it is a ton but the pitcher is a good prospect and he went 3-0 and was the MVP of the WBC. He can pitch.

LL

Wtf are you talking about? Where did I say this was crap?

You need to learn how to read.

Barton is absolutely right about this. I can't even imagine the outcry from some of the posters on this board,much less on espn and the rest of the media,if the yankees had bid and won with $40+mil. You couldn't turn around without hearing how the "Yankees are making a mockery of the posting system and baseball in general by not playing on a level field,blah blah blah".

Yet the red sox do it,and nothing. In fact,odds are they actually get praised for a.)showing they're serious about fixing what went wrong last season b.)showing the world they'll do what it takes to bring down those awful,evil new york yankees and c.)for doing what they had to to keep him out of the Yankees hands.

And now I'm gonna go ahead and guess my post and barton's post will get the obligitory response from the yankee hater nation

"$200 million....ruining baseball...almost twice what the next team spends...no right to complain"

Ok, lets examine why the yanks were villified....

1) For years they could absorb HUGE contracts for pittance minor leaguers because they could afford to take them. A-Rod, Abreu and the Unit.

2) They would BLOW most teams out of the water with bids on players..Mussina an others

The swelling of the Payroll to 200 mil made most of the MLB angry. True, the largesse of the amount stupified most owners as they were not willing to spend but fans took it personally. Now, with advent of new stadiums and new TV deals, a lot more teams are moving up the payroll mountain. In the meantime, the Yanks are coming back down as they unload some troublesome contracts. It appears that Tampa's involvement led to the engorgement of the Yankee budget. Now Cashman appears to have taken the reins and maybe he has injected sensibility to the equation. Hence, where the Yanks may have offered 50 million to obtain Matsuzaka....it appears they offered 31 million in a sensible manner.

Does this explain it? Hopefully, you will see this as an explanation and not an attack.

LL

Wtf are you talking about? Where did I say this was crap?

You need to learn how to read.

Ok Here we go...

Yankees Trade Wright To The Orioles

Views: 313 Posted By Barton

Yankees get O's reliever Chris Britton - he...

Yankees get O's reliever Chris Britton - he sounds good!

{How do you know? the guy went 0-2!!!}

Hot Rumor: Matsuzaka to the Rangers

Views: 205 Posted By Barton

I have read 5 different "may haves"...

I have read 5 different "may haves" from every top team in this bidding.

No effing way the Sox bid 40 million on this guy. No f'n way.{Why Because the Yankees didn't do it?}

But if they did, I dont want to see that whining bullcrap...

and additional posts...

LL

So say he signs a 4 year - $52 million contrat ($13 mill a year). In escense, the Red Sox would b paying $94 million over 4 years which is what? $23.5 million a year for him? This guy better be the next Clemens or Pedro and even then... $23.5 a year for an unproven MLB pitcher?:eek:

Ok Here we go...

Yankees Trade Wright To The Orioles

Views: 313 Posted By Barton

Yankees get O's reliever Chris Britton - he...

Yankees get O's reliever Chris Britton - he sounds good!

{How do you know? the guy went 0-2!!!}

Hot Rumor: Matsuzaka to the Rangers

Views: 205 Posted By Barton

I have read 5 different "may haves"...

I have read 5 different "may haves" from every top team in this bidding.

No effing way the Sox bid 40 million on this guy. No f'n way.{Why Because the Yankees didn't do it?}

But if they did, I dont want to see that whining bullcrap...

and additional posts...

LL

Britton was a rookie, and had a 3.5 era. Yeah, he sounds good. stfu.

You are seriously being a total dumba##. The fact that I thought the sox wouldnt place a 42 frickin million dollar bid at a time when the reports were of the bid being too low for Seibu, makes me a homer? No, thats logic. Esp considering nobody expected the sox to win the bidding, let alone bid high. You arent making any f##king sense.

And like I said, after this sox fans cant b#tch about them not being on fair ground with the Yankees spending. This complete over-the-top bid by the sox completely shows the opposite.

If you cant understand that then you need to wear a helmet when you post.

So say he signs a 4 year - $52 million contrat ($13 mill a year). In escense, the Red Sox would b paying $94 million over 4 years which is what? $23.5 million a year for him? This guy better be the next Clemens or Pedro and even then... $23.5 a year for an unproven MLB pitcher?:eek:

The merchandising, etc alone will cover a lot of that. Much like how Seattle can pay Ichiro, because Japan loves to spend money watching the guy and buying clothes with his name on it. Of course, this guy could be the next Irabu.

This guy gets it.

Boras was on ESPN, Mike Kay Show. He said that all the teams know the rules (this was before the posting period ended). AD-Mat is a #1 ACE, a Top-of-the-rotation pitcher (his words). And he expects to be paid as such.

I fully expect Boras to try to get a 5 year 75 million deal for this kid. At 26, he is even younger than Zito. And Matsui has said that he is the real deal, a true star in Japan.

Aay he settles for 52 million over 4 years. Add in the 42 million to win the "posting" rights. 94 million is a lot to pay, it's more than Clemens' insane contract. 23.50 million a year over the life of the contract, even though the pitcher himself only receives 52 million.

Bosox can never ever cry foul about Yankee spending. This blows it all out of the water.

And if they sign Drew for a 4 year 52+ million pact also, they will have narrowed the spending gap tremendously.

Ok, lets examine why the yanks were villified....

1) For years they could absorb HUGE contracts for pittance minor leaguers because they could afford to take them. A-Rod, Abreu and the Unit.

2) They would BLOW most teams out of the water with bids on players..Mussina an others

The swelling of the Payroll to 200 mil made most of the MLB angry. True, the largesse of the amount stupified most owners as they were not willing to spend but fans took it personally. Now, with advent of new stadiums and new TV deals, a lot more teams are moving up the payroll mountain. In the meantime, the Yanks are coming back down as they unload some troublesome contracts. It appears that Tampa's involvement led to the engorgement of the Yankee budget. Now Cashman appears to have taken the reins and maybe he has injected sensibility to the equation. Hence, where the Yanks may have offered 50 million to obtain Matsuzaka....it appears they offered 31 million in a sensible manner.

Does this explain it? Hopefully, you will see this as an explanation and not an attack.

LL

I don't think it was an attack...I hope I didn't say anything that deserved to get attacked.

I try not to make excuses for the Yankees. I'm not gonna lie and say I never do,cause I have,and I will. But I do make an attempt to call them out on problems when I see them. This just kinda got to me a bit because I know,you know,and every baseball fan knows that if it had been the Yankees that won with a bid that insanely high just to earn the right to negotiate a contract with a guy, there'd be uproar about the haves taking advantage of the system (which the yankees clearly have in salary cap free baseball), and yet,when another of the "haves" does so,the initial reaction is "damn,thats a lot of money",and no one gives it a second thought. I'm just annoyed that there's no outrage when a team,even though their payroll isn't as ridiculously out of control as the yankee payroll is still spending 120-130 million,drops $40million (almost triple the Florida Marlins payroll last year btw) just to be able to negotiate a deal. So if there's not gonna be outrage when a rich team not wearing pinstripes takes advantage of their superior funds,why should anyone be able to complain about the yankees doing it?

One more incoherent rambling,then I promise I'll stop typing. My reaction is absolutely not jealousy because the Red Sox won over the Yankees. I'd be equally upset if the Mets,Angels,or Dodgers had spent $42 million to just talk to a pitcher. I'd probably be more upset than I am in my babblings you're now being subjected to if the Yankees had done so. The Yankees have wasted enough money and time by bringing in the quick fix,surefire hall of fame international pitcher who's ready to be an ace in the big leagues from day 1. Its one thing to bring in and develop a young talent like Wang,but I don't want my team signing any more Irabus or Contreras'. I want young pitching developed from within. Less Irabu/Contreras,more Pettite/Wang type situations. I am definitely happy with the direction Cashman is moving towards with Hughes and Sanchez. I can only hope that by the end of next season/beginning of the 08 season the rotation contains Wang,Hughes,and Sanchez.

He may be a great pitcher,a nd he's only 26. But add $13 million a year Boras is looiking for him for 3 years and that is one damn expensive pitcher.

Yes it is.

I think this re-enforces my point that teams with TV stations hide alot more money then they claim.

$42 million just to negotiate with the guy, thats crazy. I know they would have bid a lot less if they knew the yankees weren't probably the next highest bid, but still. They'll probably bring some people back, but the Yankees could drop around $50 million. Pretty soon, the Red Sox fans won't be able to fall back on that $60 million or whatever it was difference between the two teams. Might even happen this year depending on what happens in FA.

The Posting system is ridiculous though and needs some changes made to it.

LL

Correct. Some Yankee fans seem to have a problem when other teams spend insanely.

The Sox overpaid for a player all Yankee fans wanted. Nothing different than what the Yanks have been doing for years.

Correct. Some Yankee fans seem to have a problem when other teams spend insanely.

The Sox overpaid for a player all Yankee fans wanted. Nothing different than what the Yanks have been doing for years.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I just don't want to hear another word from boston fans about the yankees payroll.

Correct,the Yankees have been pulling this crap for years. And they get called on it on a daily basis. Yet when the non-Yankee "haves" do the exact same thing,its ok because the Yankees have been doing it for years?

And for the record,I never wanted the guy. Way too much money to spend on a guy who has proved precisely dick in Major League Baseball. I'm perfectly content with the direction Cashman is taking this organization and its thinking on how to build a team. Of course I don't speak for all Yankee fans,I'm just sayig not every Yankee fan believes that throwing money at the problem fixes it.

WTF........seriously, you guys are confusing, really......

If the Yankees did this insane bid, they'd get murdered by the press for

"ruining baseball even more by contaminating the overseas asian market".

Thats exactly what would be said.

But its the sawx, so nobody will say anything. Well fine, but sawx fans can no longer BITCH AND COMPLAIN about the Yankees spending sprees.

There's the difference.

WTF........seriously, you guys are confusing, really......

If the Yankees did this insane bid, they'd get murdered by the press for

"ruining baseball even more by contaminating the overseas asian market".

Thats exactly what would be said.

But its the sawx, so nobody will say anything. Well fine, but sawx fans can no longer BITCH AND COMPLAIN about the Yankees spending sprees.

There's the difference.

You're right, the Sox had to ante up to get this player. If he's even half of what been said about him, he'll be a solid pitcher. Have you seen the starting staff for the Sox next year? They need help.

Now here's the difference. It's one friggin' player! It's not trying to field an all-star at every single position.

You're right, the Sox had to ante up to get this player. If he's even half of what been said about him, he'll be a solid pitcher. Have you seen the starting staff for the Sox next year? They need help.

Now here's the difference. It's one friggin' player! It's not trying to field an all-star at every single position.

No sh#t. And you still have to sign the guy, which will not be easy. LOL.

But thats not my point. I have no prob with the sox doing all they can to make sure they get Mats, but you and I both know if the yankees did this they would get KILLED for it. Thats bullsh#t because the sox will get the opposite treatment from the media.

And in turn, guys like pfkish can no longer b#tch and complain about payroll difference and how the sox cant afford players, it was BS then, and it is definetly BS now. End of story.

Of course, just not at the expense of small-market teams.

Those teams are getting money from taxing the Yankees admittedly ridiculously high salaries. What are they getting from the Sox bidding $42 Million for this dude? Seems to me this was more "at the expense of small-market teams" than overpaying somebody or taking on some bloated contract the Marlins or Phillies are looking to move.

Not that I care. This is the USA. I believe in a free market system. This socialist crap is a joke to me.

Thor --

No offense you are and will forever be my boy. But that is the worst post ever.

What franchise in any sport wouldn't want an all star at every position?

I've said before that I would have liked the Yankees to get this kid but not for anywhere near this kind of money...however, if the Sox are genuine in their attempt to sign this kid, and he gets top of the rotation money...this guy better be at least ten games over .500 on a regular basis with that kind of contract. The Sox could end up being out of pocket more on this kid more than the Yanks and Rangers were on A-Rod. I really see this as the Sox playing "keep away" with the Yanks. I can't see any team, not just the Sox...paying this kind of money for an unproven commodity. If he signs, he is easily the biggest gamble in sports history.

There are two ways that you can look at this.

The first way is that its hypocritical for people to not jump on the red sox the way they have the yankees, because they're doing the same thing.

The second way is to give the Red Sox a pass, because the Yankees set the bar, and they're just doing what they have to in order to keep up.

You can either say "screw the Red Sox, they're no better than the Yankees" or you can say "I don't blame them, they're doing what they need to do"

Archived