New York Times Article On Doug Jolley Trade

YJF

Jets Trade First-Round Pick to Fill Void at Tight End

By RICHARD LEZIN JONES

Published: April 21, 2005

he Jets traded their first-round pick in this weekend's N.F.L. draft, the 26th over all, to Oakland yesterday for tight end Doug Jolley and a second-round pick, according to a person who was briefed about the deal.

The trade resolves two Jets problems: it addresses the vacancy created last month when the starter Anthony Becht left for Tampa Bay as a free agent, and it disposed of a late-first-round pick. The Jets apparently felt there would be no prospects worth selecting at No. 26.

Jolley, 26, who is entering his fourth season, had 27 receptions for 313 yards and 2 touchdowns last season. He must pass a physical before the deal is completed, said the person who was briefed, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of pending personnel issues. Jolley is expected to compete with Chris Baker for the starting job.

Last week, at the Jets' predraft news conference, General Manager Terry Bradway strongly suggested that they would not use their first-round pick on a tight end like Virginia's Heath Miller, who is widely considered the top prospect at the position.

"Oh, I think there are a couple guys that could come in and start, yeah," Bradway said when asked about tight end prospects. "I don't think they can come in and beat out Baker at this point in time."

The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Jolley, who started 13 games for the Raiders last season, adds depth at a position that is expected to be crucial in the system of the Jets' new offensive coordinator, Mike Heimerdinger.

Last season, Heimerdinger's Tennessee tight ends made 83 receptions; Becht and Baker accounted for 31. The Jets made an unsuccessful attempt last month to sign tight end Jeb Putzier, a restricted free agent, from Denver.

The Jets' move could be viewed as a commentary on the quality of the players in this year's draft. They became the second team in two days to trade out of the first round; on Wednesday, Denver shipped its pick, No. 25 over all, to Washington, for a third-round pick this weekend and selections in the first and fourth rounds next year.

At last week's news conference, Bradway said that the team had identified about 20 players who were worthy of being selected in the first round, but he seemed generally unimpressed by the quality of the prospects in the draft.

Bradway, who picked 12th last year and fourth the year before, was asked if he was glad that he was not in a similar position this year because many scouts say this draft is generally weak.

"Yeah, I think it's a good year not - well, I shouldn't say that," Bradway said, of not picking near the top of the first round. "I mean, there's some good players up there still that you don't want to pay what they are going to make at four like we did a couple years ago, picking that high maybe with some of these players."

"Yeah, I think it's a good year not - well, I shouldn't say that," Bradway said, of not picking near the top of the first round. "I mean, there's some good players up there still that you don't want to pay what they are going to make at four like we did a couple years ago, picking that high maybe with some of these players."

What? #-o

"Oh, I think there are a couple guys that could come in and start, yeah," Bradway said when asked about tight end prospects. "I don't think they can come in and beat out Baker at this point in time."

So, Heath Miller wouldn't beat out Chris Baker. OK. Thanks Terry. Yeah, just leave the keys to the building at the front desk on your way out. Thanks.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Jolley, who started 13 games for the Raiders last season, adds depth at a position that is expected to be crucial in the system of the Jets' new offensive coordinator, Mike Heimerdinger.

So we traded a first rounder to add depth to a position where we have one career back-up player? That's awesome.

27 receptions, 313 yards, 2 touchdowns.

I rest my case.

I rest my case.

How do we know he won't produce in a more active role? He got the ball 27 times, he doesn't call the plays. TE's obvisouly are an important cog in the Meimerdiner system so he will clearly be seeing some more balls come his way. This guy is getting crucifed and he hasn't even played a down yet. How do you know he will be awful? The Raiders were garbage these past couple of years, the Jets are not. I can see him fitting in well.

How do we know he won't produce in a more active role? He got the ball 27 times, he doesn't call the plays. TE's obvisouly are an important cog in the Meimerdiner system so he will clearly be seeing some more balls come his way. This guy is getting crucifed and he hasn't even played a down yet. How do you know he will be awful? The Raiders were garbage these past couple of years, the Jets are not. I can see him fitting in well.

In 2002 Jolley started for the league's most prolific passing offense. The entire NFL.

In 2003 the Raiders' offense suffered when Gannon went down with an injury.

In 2004 Kerry Collins threw the ball all over the yard to whoever was open. Jolley was demoted halfway through the season.

In 2002 Jolley started for the league's most prolific passing offense. The entire NFL.

In 2003 the Raiders' offense suffered when Gannon went down with an injury.

In 2004 Kerry Collins threw the ball all over the yard to whoever was open. Jolley was demoted halfway through the season.

These are two totally different teams though. Using you logic it's like saying we beat the Bills 17-10 and the Bills beat the Pats 20-17 so we should be able to beat the Pats. It doesn't make any sense in the long run. It's all about personell, match ups, coaching, and on and on and on. Number's from old teams don't mean a thing. He has talent, he has shown it, he was clearly disgruntled in Oakland and I can't blame him that team was a mess. Whose to say he won't play lights out football for the Jets? No one can deny him that until he takes the field.

In '02 Rich Gannon threw for almost 5000 yards. Jolley had 400 of them. In that kind of offense a scarecrow can have 400 yards by mid season. It's not like Jolley didn't have his chances.

TS -

Raiders - 2002

Rice - 92 receptions ( 1200 + yds )

Brown - 81 receptions ( 891 yds )

Porter - 51 receptions ( 688 yds )

Gardner - 91 receptions ( 941 yds )

That's a lot of balls not thrown to the TE, no? Here are all of the 2002 stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai2002.htm

So, Heath Miller wouldn't beat out Chris Baker. OK. Thanks Terry. Yeah, just leave the keys to the building at the front desk on your way out. Thanks.

Tom Shane only scrub teams start rookies and expect the world of them. Despite all of this disgusting whining and crying, the JETS are not a scrub team. Guys like Vilma and Coleman are the exception, not the rule. I'd much rather them do this deal then take an injury prone Heath Miller as the 4th first round TE bust in 20 years. this is a much safer move in terms of the psyche of the franchise.

Tom Shane only scrub teams start rookies and expect the world of them. Despite all of this disgusting whining and crying, the JETS are not a scrub team. Guys like Vilma and Coleman are the exception, not the rule. I'd much rather them do this deal then take an injury prone Heath Miller as the 4th first round TE bust in 20 years. this is a much safer move in terms of the psyche of the franchise.

Hey Bit...please educate me a bit...I know that Miller had a hernia and didn't work out for anyone.

Is he truly injury prone? Did he miss time in college?

Thanks Bro.

I agree with Bit. Everyone seems to be so down on this move, and I can understand why, but we really have to see how Jolley performs, and whom we draft in round 2.

I do not like the idea of getting Oakland's lower 2nd round pick. That angers me. We should've acquired the #38 at the least. What I do like is that Heimerdinger has had tremendous success with tight ends, qbs, and receivers. He knows what he needs for his offense. Terry would not have pulled off this move had he not had Heimerdinger's approval.

I trust our OC. I also trust our DC. The players that were drafted and brought in via free agency last year(Barton, Coleman, Vilma, Barrett)played pretty well. They know what to look for. If Frank Wychek applauds the move(and he does), then who am I to argue?

People are going ballistic, claiming that this guy was a third stringer, etc etc, but Barton was also in Oakland's doghouse. He did not play much after the '03 season, but how well did he play here? Players sometimes fall out of favor and re emerge elswhere. Let this play out a bit.

I would imagine that Dyson has signed a deal already, which gave Terry the ok to make this deal. Henderson knows who can fit his system and obviously saw much of him playing in the same division as a db coach. I would also assume that Hendu scouted the cb potentials in the draft and determined that Dyson was better than anyone the Jets would get at 26.

There is only one football. The way I see it and maybe Heimerdinger has other ideas but the Jet offense is Curtis Martin (Blaylock), Coles, McCareins and then the TE. I just don't see trading a 1st round pick for an average TE that is not going to be the feaured receiver. If the TE becomes more featured in the offense then I think we will have an unhappy camper in Mr. Coles and probaly McCareins and that is not a good thing.

if this trade is the only thing that stopped us from picking slow/injured heath miller, then i like it already!!

There is only one football. The way I see it and maybe Heimerdinger has other ideas but the Jet offense is Curtis Martin (Blaylock), Coles, McCareins and then the TE. I just don't see trading a 1st round pick for an average TE that is not going to be the feaured receiver. If the TE becomes more featured in the offense then I think we will have an unhappy camper in Mr. Coles and probaly McCareins and that is not a good thing.

One thing about our new OC, he knows how to spread the wealth.

Were Hackett still in charge, I'd worry big time, but Heimerdinger's offenses have been very versatile.

Heimer, despite not having one of his best weapons for the season in Tyrone Calico and McNair missing major time(also factor in Brown missing numerous games with his turf toe), was able to have 9 different players with at least 19 receptions. Ben Troupe, a rookie, had a nice season and was third in receptions. That says alot to me. Heimer was willing to get a rookie tight end heavily involved in the offense.

Heimer is also a mean, angry, sick looking SOB. No one messes with him. No one. He gets in his players faces, and demands alot. Coles will get his share, as will McCareins and Jolley. People will be happy.

I do believe that we will still be a run first offense, but we will also see much more 3 wr sets, and more downfield stuff to Jolley.

Don't worry, Henderson made a HUGE difference last year, and Heimer will this year. Hackett he ain't.

I rest my case.

under norv turner with no qb and a terrible overall offense, cant say any TE would have done much better, you know better than judging a guy under poor leadership

besides we know your just pissed that nosemar is out for half a year!!!!!!!!

Hey Bit...please educate me a bit...I know that Miller had a hernia and didn't work out for anyone.

Is he truly injury prone? Did he miss time in college?

Thanks Bro.

to answer your question he doesn't have a major history in college - that being said the guy got a hernia in Jan it's april 21 and he's still not running - maybe injury prone isn't the right phrase, maybe i should have said slow healing - either way this guy's fastest 40 time was 4.85, Jolley runs a 4.6.

the reality of the situation is that a first round selection of TE would have been a pressure-packed one for that player to live down the fates of Brady, Mitchell and Becht - he would have to be really really special, and without mincing words, I for one don't think Heath Miller is that special of a prospect to go against a curse of that magnitude.

Archived