At Halfway point, looking back at 2006 Draft

Mavrik

We're now a little more than halfway through the first season for the touted rookies. Guys like D'Brick, Leinart, Bush, and Young. All have have had different levels of success and failures over the course of the season. A look at the guys the Jets were rumored (or some fans wanted) to take in the draft:

2006 Season:

Reggie Bush: Showing signs of being a great player, but not the awe-inspiring, game-changing aura we've heard of him before hand.

91 Rushing atts, 256 yds, 2 TDs, 53 Receptions, 352 yds, 0 TDs

Vince Young: many ups and downs on a terrible Titans team.

82 Completions, 175 Attempts, 973 yds, 5 TDs, 8 INTs, 54.8 QB Rating

Matt Leinart: started off well after replacing Warner initially but has struggled lately.

99 Completions, 191 Attempts,1115 yds, 5 TDs, 7 INTs, 63.1 QB Rating

Jay Cutler: backed up all season for Jake Plummer.

There are a few others to mention, but these were the major players the Jets were rumored to go after. Obviously, you can't judge how well a player will perform in the future based on half a season, but that said, the question is, are you still happy with the route the Jets took, and would you still rather have gone a different route rather than drafting D'Brick at 4 and Mangold at 30?

Discuss.

In hindsight they probably should've traded down at 4 and taken McNeil in the 2nd round. Everyone is thrilled with Mangold.

D-Brick is doing the job and then some. No knock on Mcneil, but we should have no problem with how it played out.

I look at this a different way. We have D'Brick, Mangold and Chad. Instead we could have had Bush, and a beaten up Chad, or whomever. Or we could have Leinart and not Mangold or Clemens.

I'll take it the way it played out.

IMO, teh job Mangold did on Wilfork in the middle of teh Pats defense was a key in Barlow having his excellent game. And D'Brick is slowly becoming a rock on teh left side. Anyone notice how relatively clean Chad's uniform was at 4: P.M. on Sunday?

Thank you, but the draft played out superbly.:lock:

I look at this a different way. We have D'Brick, Mangold and Chad. Instead we could have had Bush, and a beaten up Chad, or whomever. Or we could have Leinart and not Mangold or Clemens.

IMO, teh job Mangold did on Wilfork in the middle of teh Pats defense was a key in Barlow having his excellent game. And D'Brick is slowly becoming a rock on teh left side. Anyone notice how relatively clean Chad's uniform was at 4: P.M. on Sunday?

:yeahthat:

Right now the rookie of the year is Marques Colston

How in the world so the Jets let a guy from Hofstra get away

A 7th rounder nonetheless

That might be part of the reason they didn't draft him. Jets probably have and edge in signing UDFA from Hofstra, whereas the guy they drafted was at a need position and came from Nebraska (DT-Titus Adams) Certainly can't complain about D.Coleman with the 6th pick.

In hindsight they probably should've traded down at 4 and taken McNeil in the 2nd round. Everyone is thrilled with Mangold.

Who would they trade with? for what reason?

Teams can't trade down without a market for the pick.

By the way McNeil has chronic back problems that will shorten his career.

Who would they trade with? for what reason?

Teams can't trade down without a market for the pick.

By the way McNeil has chronic back problems that will shorten his career.

Marcus McNeill > D'brickashaw Ferguson

McNeill's a better pass-blocker and is a way better run blocker. Did you see any of the Bengals-Chargers game this past weekend? McNeill carved up the Bengals' d-line for Tomlinson.

Mangold has turned out great and is the best rookie at his position. Definitely the best player the jets drafted though they could have had him and Leinart if they wanted to.

Kellen Clemens? Doubt he will be as good as the big 3 (Young, Leinart Cutler).

After Mangold and Ferguson, you have to admit the rest of the Jets' draft was pretty underwhelming. Brad Smith is a player without position, sort of a better version of Scott Frost. Leon Washington is an ok third down back though you'd think from reading on this site he was the next Barry Sanders.

Schlegel sucks. Eric Smith sucks. Pociask is hurt but I doubt even if he got to play he would have been anything.

McNeill missed a few games back in '03 because of his back, but I don't think any since then. He was projected as an RT and universally rated below Ferguson. The back condition is usually degenerative and can cause serious problems when the compression becomes to severe. Can't see a team starting from scratch rolling the dice on that. Made more sense for the Chargers who are further along.

To compare Brad Smith with Scott Frost is a joke. The guy has already made some nice plays on the field and is obviously athletically gifted even compared to NFL talent. Hopefully he rounds into a good wr, but to get a guy this versatile and gifted in the 4th round is nothing to sniff at. Going to complain about Washington? Sure he looks like a 3rd down back, but he already has 2 100 yard games to his credit. Not bad when you consider our poor run attack and his carries.

Obviously, time will tell about all these guys, but Schlegel is the only pick that seems outright bad. E.Smith has played, but hasn't shown much. Pociask is supposed to be an excellent blocker. I imagine he'll find a place on the team, but I don't expect much. He's a 5th rounder. What should we expect? Anybody mentioning Drew Coleman? The guy looks like he can play and he can certainly run. Seems like a steal in the 6th.

Haha he was only touched twice. I don't see how anyone can find fault with our draft, it's probably the best in the NFL right now.

Right now the rookie of the year is Marques Colston

How in the world so the Jets let a guy from Hofstra get away

A 7th rounder nonetheless

without a doubt JEJ-the thing is we had been bitten before by big guys from small schools at the receiver position

Looking back..

If we could have traded down from 4 and still landed..

Mangold, Maroney, Mcneil, Colston, Clemens, and drew coleman..

Now that would have been an OUTSTANDING draft.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Colston would be having the type of season he's having now, especially considering he was taken in the 7th round.

I still think we could have gotten a better RB than Washington. Watching him at FSU, he didn't display anything to suggest he could become a major back in the NFL.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Colston would be having the type of season he's having now, especially considering he was taken in the 7th round.

I still think we could have gotten a better RB than Washington. Watching him at FSU, he didn't display anything to suggest he could become a major back in the NFL.

I'm real happy with our draft Maverik and even Andrew Gross in the chat said that Schlegel is a player they are looking to for next year.Hey look how D'Brick has handled Jason Taylor and Freeney and Seymour or whoever else has been thrown his way-he's stood his ground very well-Mangold?Come ON the kid just keeps getting better and better-you see the push he's been getting lately?We got 2 100 yard games out of a rookie RB-Drew Coleman is gonna be a starter for years to come and Eric and Brad Smith have also made some nice contributions-we had perhaps THE best draft out of anybody-right now I wouldn't trade our 1st rounders for Reggie Bush or anybody else drafted in April

I don't know why some of you guys think so highly of McNeill over Brick. I think Brick has done fine, and the difference, if there is any, isn't so much that it's worth worrying about. Brick I think has played against better D-Lines also, whereas I don't really think McNeill has been tested as much yet. Why not wait to see how McNeill does against the Broncos this year first before condemning Brick? Brick is coming off of a very good game against the Patriots, probably the best rushing D-line in the league. If Brick can follow it up with another solid performance against the Bears, I don't see how anyone can say they'd rather have McNeill. The grass is always greener I guess...

Archived