Patriots Sign Vinny Testaverde: MERGED

The Troll

So now we know the purpose behind the Patriots holding themselves $12 million under tha cap was.

Brilliant move by Belichick. Brilliant. If he can win with a washed up old "never-was" like Vinny Intercepterverde then it will cement his legacy as possibly the greatest coach of all time.

So now we know the purpose behind the Patriots holding themselves $12 million under tha cap was.

Brilliant move by Belichick. Brilliant. If he can win with a washed up old "never-was" like Vinny Intercepterverde then it will cement his legacy as possibly the greatest coach of all time.

i think they still need to sign Jerry Rice

http://www.courant.com/sports/football/hc-patriots1115.artnov15,0,5673222.story?coll=hc-headlines-football

Just How Is Brady?

Injured Or Not, Signing Testaverde Raises Questions

By ALAN GREENBERG

Courant Staff Writer

November 15 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Is Tom Brady injured? Is Brady, who has not missed a start since taking over for the injured Drew Bledsoe in the third game of the 2001 season, sufficiently banged up after last Sunday's loss to the Jets that he's on the verge of giving way to backup Matt Cassel for Sunday's game at Green Bay against the Packers? If he isn't, why did the Patriots announce the signing of Vinny Testaverde Tuesday?

Testaverde, in his 20th NFL season, is 43, has been out of football this season and was mostly a mop-up man on a bad Jets team last season. However, he has always been a favorite of Patriots coach Bill Belichick. When Belichick was the Browns coach in 1993, he brought in Testaverde to replace Bernie Kosar.

Belichick also was the Jets defensive coordinator and assistant head coach under Bill Parcells when Testaverde quarterbacked the Jets. Belichick has always spoken admiringly of Testaverde's attitude and work ethic. Belichick has said Testaverde keeps himself in as solid physical condition as any quarterback he has seen.

That said, the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Testaverde is about as mobile as a lamppost. As desperate as the Jets were when Chad Pennington missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, they preferred to use Jay Fiedler and Brooks Bollinger over Testaverde, who started four games.

Until this season, Belichick's Patriots have always carried at least three quarterbacks on the roster. Last season it was Brady, rookie seventh-round pick Cassel and Doug Flutie. But Flutie retired and Belichick, based on what he saw from an improved Cassel during training camp, apparently felt OK carrying two quarterbacks on the roster.

What changed? Brady, who was brilliant in leading the Patriots to a 31-7 destruction of the Vikings in a Monday night game at the Metrodome Oct. 30, threw four interceptions in the 27-20 loss to the Colts at Gillette Nov. 5.

Brady was officially charged with one interception in the Patriots' 17-14 loss to the Jets - a second interception was nullified by a roughing-the-passer penalty. The official interception came when Brady badly missed a wide-open Laurence Maroney on a short pass over the middle with 6:47 left in the game. It's the kind of pass that Brady could usually complete blindfolded.

Brady, whose throwing motion is near-flawless, also has had several passes tipped by the defensive line in each of the last two games, which suggests a problem with his delivery that could be due to an injury.

Belichick is notorious for his refusal to talk about injuries. Like all NFL teams, the Patriots are required to submit a list of injured players to the league each week during the season. For about three years, Brady has been listed as probable with a right shoulder injury. But he hasn't missed a game, and has even joked about his weekly listing.

"I'm fine," Brady says, whenever he's asked about his physical condition.

Brady was 10 when Testaverde, a Heisman Trophy winner out of the University of Miami, entered the league with the Buccaneers as the NFL's No. 1 pick in 1987. Testaverde, who also played for the Browns, Ravens and Cowboys, ranks in the top 10 in NFL history in passing yards (sixth), completions (seventh), TD passes (eighth) and attempts (seventh).

Mills On IR

The Patriots placed rookie TE Garrett Mills on injured reserve with thigh and hip injuries. Mills did not play in a game this season. The team re-signed OL Gene Mruczkowski, who they released Sept. 30. He replaces G Billy Yates, who was placed on injured reserve Monday after breaking his leg against the Jets.

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/11/14/patriots-sign-testaverde/

Patriots sign Testaverde

Chew on that news for a couple of minutes. He tried out with the Patriots earlier in the season and now, former Jets signal caller Vinny Testaverde is Tom Brady’s backup in New England.

Luckily for the Jets, their two games with the Patriots are over so fans will be spared seeing Testaverde in that uniform up close.

As he showed in his Dallas stint and his return to the Jets last season, the 43-year-old Testaverde can’t be counted on for long stretches. But he still has that great arm so it’s not a bad move by New England, which was only carrying Matt Cassel to back up Brady.

My take:

Brady hasn't been right all season. I believe it is a mental/physical combination. There's a reason he's listed as probable every game. His shoulder hasn't been right for two years......and the end of last year, and this entire year, it has shown. He has gone from one of the most accurate passers in the league - to looking pretty awful at times. His long ball, which had improved, digressed last year and it's sh*tty this year (but let's put to rest the "myth" that Brady was a consistent long ball guy. He wasn't.) Brady may miss his binky, Deion Branch (who's doing sh*t in Seattle - but would have been producing gold here, I think) and I think he's losing confidence in his o-line. Matt Light has looked like complete sh*t this year and Brady is getting hit consistently.

Anyway, VT is more of a veteran presence - help TB with his "head" (get your homophobic minds out of the gutter pls.....) issues, rather than become the QB who leads the Pats. If that ever happens - well, the season is effectively over for Pats fans.

My take:

Brady hasn't been right all season. I believe it is a mental/physical combination. There's a reason he's listed as probable every game. His shoulder hasn't been right for two years......and the end of last year, and this entire year, it has shown. He has gone from one of the most accurate passers in the league - to looking pretty awful at times. His long ball, which had improved, digressed last year and it's sh*tty this year (but let's put to rest the "myth" that Brady was a consistent long ball guy. He wasn't.) Brady may miss his binky, Deion Branch (who's doing sh*t in Seattle - but would have been producing gold here, I think) and I think he's losing confidence in his o-line. Matt Light has looked like complete sh*t this year and Brady is getting hit consistently.

Anyway, VT is more of a veteran presence - help TB with his "head" (get your homophobic minds out of the gutter pls.....) issues, rather than become the QB who leads the Pats. If that ever happens - well, the season is effectively over for Pats fans.

SEE SIG BELOW

Archived