I just spoke to Frank Wycheck about Jolley

Tennessee_Jet

He's a morning sports talk host here in Nashville. I specifically asked him how Jolley will fit into Dinger's offense. He feels that Jolley will do well. He said Dinger likes to move the TE around in the formations and also runs a few down the middle seam type passes to the TE. He added that Jolley is a smart player and does well reading secondary coverages. He and his co-hosts agree that the Jets did well in this trade because there is more value in round 2 than one based on their pick (26).

He and his co-hosts agree that the Jets did well in this trade because there is more value in round 2 than one based on their pick (26).

i agree COMPLETELY

you guys think this is ugly, just wait until Bradway uses the 26 pick on Heath miller who becomes the 4th first round bust TE in 20 years - cause make no mistake that's what could have happened -

note that GJ&H projected the JETS to get Mike Patterson at 26 - honestly that pick (or a similar player - mosely/castillo) makes sense at 47 - the player the JETS really want (a DT, an S like Pool or Bullocks, a CB) will probably be there at 47, the team can literally have it's cake and eat it too.

think about this - the team can get a DT/OL with one pick and still take a young DB with the second second rounder

WR that could be there

Vincent Jackson

Reggie Brown

Roddy White

DT who could be there

Mike Patterson

Luis Castillo

CJ Mosely

Anttaj Hawthorne

OL that could be there

Chris Spencer

David Baas

Evan Mathis (OT/OC)

Todd Herremans

DB that could be there

Stanley Wilson

Dominique Foxworth

Corey Webster

Bryant McFadden

Eric Green

Brodney Pool

Josh Bullocks

Ron Bartell Jr

Stanford Routt

PK that could be there

Mike Nugent

straight up no lying if the JETS could get any 2 of those players listed with their 2 2nds, this move will be a heist.

no not all of those guys will be available but some of them will -

Hey Tom Shane

Why don't you tell a former pro bowl TE that this is a sh*tty deal

I guess only REAL football fans understand this is a good deal

Novices, such as yourself allow emotions play a role in your evaluations :wink:

While the deal makes sense, it's still a horrid trade. Why, you ask? Simple. They didn't get near enough. Sure, Jolley could become damn good in the Jets offense. Yeah, they got a second, but all that being said, they should have gotten more. Screw the two sixths. They should have waited til they were on the clock and then tried to get an extra third or the other second the Raiders have. And they should have gotten the higher second, in the first place.

I think, what they got in return, angers alot of people. They see that Jolley was the third string TE in the Raiders offense (which means squat, cause the Raiders offense was cluserf*ck, as it was). They got the lower of two second round picks and two sixth round picks. I have no confidence in Bradway's drafting.

Anyway, we won't know the true value of this trade until the season starts. I just don't think that they're done dealing. And, if they're trading Abe, they'd better not give him up for basic scraps.

Bit, if you guys had dropped from 26 to 47 for Phil Buchanon I'd be calling this a heist, even if the guy is a headcase.

Picking twice in the 2nd round isn't the worst thing in the world in this draft--- but the 26 pick is still a heck of a lot better than the 47, any way you want to slice it.

If the risk of drafting a first round bust is too scary than the Jets should pack up and quit football. You don't trade down because you're scared you can't select a bust in the first round.

The NFL draft isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, the Jets can get a nice guy at 47 if Bradway plays his cards right (of course, when has he?), but they would have had better odds, you have to think, at 26.

Alternatively there may have been better trade down options on draft day.

The bottom line is they just traded significant value for a guy who isn't wowing anyone, and who was a spare part for one of the worst teams in the league this year.

That doesn't mean this move is predestined to end horribly for the Jets, it just means Bradway got sh**** value and didn't give the Jets the best possible chances to come out smelling like roses on this one.

Comparison: What if Bradway drafts Bryant McFadden at 26 with Miller and Jackson still on the board?

Hey, maybe McFadden turns out to be a pro-bowler. I don't know. He could turn out to be the best of the three, but Bradway has not maximized the Jets chances of doing well: it's difficult to buy that McFadden has better chances than those two guys, and even if you do Bradway "got poor value".

This situation is a bit akin to that.

Matt

What is your feeling if TB grabs one of those guys, and tabs Nugent

Still feel the same way?

YES! you can also add DT Anttaj Hawthorne to that list - at 26 that's too high but 47 is a perfect place for a guy like that -

JMO the JETS were watching yards of film on Fabian washington, realized that Josh Bullocks was the best player in that secondary and thought to themselves, what the heck are we doing?

think about this - the team can get a DT/OL with one pick and still take a young DB with the second second rounder

all valid points - if j miller is not there at 26. if he is there than i say TB botched it. miller gives us an immediate starter at KR/PR and he competes for starting corner. many of the players you listed will be there for our 2nd pick.

jmiller and castillo/herremans/mosely/v jackson

vs.

jolley and any 2 of the players you listed

Bit, if you guys had dropped from 26 to 47 for Phil Buchanon I'd be calling this a heist, even if the guy is a headcase.

Picking twice in the 2nd round isn't the worst thing in the world in this draft--- but the 26 pick is still a heck of a lot better than the 47, any way you want to slice it.

If the risk of drafting a first round bust is too scary than the Jets should pack up and quit football. You don't trade down because you're scared you can't select a bust in the first round.

The NFL draft isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, the Jets can get a nice guy at 47 if Bradway plays his cards right (of course, when has he?), but they would have had better odds, you have to think, at 26.

Alternatively there may have been better trade down options on draft day.

it's not about being scared it's about taking a guy too early who would have been there 25 slots later - the guys the JETS REALLY want would be considered reaches at 26 - so why not wait? it's preferable to me for the JETS to take great second round players instead of reaching for the SAME group of players in the first round.

Doug Jolley is really getting a bad rap, this guy is a player - he's just as good as Jeb Putzier, maybe not in terms of production but they are basically the same player - there are exactly 0 TE in this draft that run a 4.6 40 -

heck lets be honest they were probably gonna take Heath Miller a guy that can't even run right now!! Talk about ugly the great thing about this move is it prevents them from making the consensus pick in Heath Miller, who i think would have been a sure fire bust. Even if he wasn't it would take a couple years to ramp up to speed, plus they would have had to give him first round money - Doug Jolley has 3 years left on his original deal with no signing bonus due and a total of 1.5M in base - what a steal I'm actually relieved with this deal -

there are more second rounders in the hall of fame than first rounders - in this draft everyone wants those 2nd round picks, the JETS have 2 choice selections and their TE problem is gone - what's not to like?

And Jonathan Babineaux

I have a feeling that's the player they are targeting for DT

Bullocks, Shazor, McFadden,Bartell..they'd all work

My feeling on this

I'd love to tab one of those DT's

Grab an OLineman

ANd pick up an Antonio Perkins typed DB in the 3rd or 4th

Don't forget a WR like Reggie Brown should be floating around =D>

all valid points - if j miller is not there at 26. if he is there than i say TB botched it.

just my opinion the Bradway/Herm JETS aren't the type of club to draft a guy who just got arrested for Drunken Disorderly on April 16th. (justin miller)

Also they aren't the type of club to take a guy who once bashed a bottle over someone's head in a bar (marlin jackson)

also they probably looked at a ton of Washington tape and realized that Bullocks was the best player in the NEB secondary.

just my opinion the Bradway/Herm JETS aren't the type of club to draft a guy who just got arrested for Drunken Disorderly on April 16th. (justin miller)

Also they aren't the type of club to take a guy who once bashed a bottle over someone's head in a bar (marlin jackson)

also they probably looked at a ton of Washington tape and realized that Bullocks was the best player in the NEB secondary.

i agree with you wholeheartedly. the jets have emphasized character guys like vilma and coleman. big reason i like miller was the pr/kr threat. i think they can find a good corner and safety in later rds. the longer i think about it the better the deal sounds.

just to clarify Marlin Jackson and Justin Miller could be good players in the league but i don't think the JETS will commit first round money to any player lacking IMPECCIBLE character. So it doesn't matter how much the fans liked these players, the FO has another set of criteria altogether.

joewilly checkin to say i'm ok with the trade. if dyson somehow gets signed & mid round value is there, whats wrong with filling a need with a proven guy?

I think dinger sees potential & its foolish to label him a backup. Lets see how this thing shakes out?

Archived