Mets discussing two-year contract for Alou

GimmeShelter

Mets discussing two-year contract for Alou

function BlogThisStoryTools() { var headline = "Mets discussing two-year contract for Alou"; var url = document.location.href; var destination = "http://blogs.foxsports.com/BlogThis.aspx?r_title=" + escape(headline) + "&r_url=" + url; //alert(destination); //return; window.location.href = destination; }

if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } The Mets are discussing a two-year contract with free-agent outfielder Moises Alou, FOXSports.com has learned, a deal that would add another older veteran to the team's roster and increase the possibility that outfielder Lastings Milledge would be traded.

The signing of Alou, 40, likely would end any chance of the Mets bidding for free-agent left fielder Alfonso Soriano, spell the end of free-agent left fielder Cliff Floyd's tenure in New York and position Mets general manager Omar Minaya to devote the majority of his resources to starting pitching.

Alou appeared in only 98 games with the Giants last season, spending time on the disabled list with a sprained right ankle and a back sprain. When healthy, he produced, hitting 22 homers in 345 at-bats and finishing with an impressive .923 on-base/slugging percentage.

The Indians believed they were close to signing Alou, according to a major-league source, until the Blue Jays awarded free-agent designated hitter Frank Thomas a two-year, $18 million contract with an option, reshaping the market. The Padres also have shown interest in Alou, as have the Giants.

The Mets' outfield currently consists of Carlos Beltran in center and Shawn Green in right, with Milledge, Endy Chavez and the newly acquired Ben Johnson among the possibilities in left in left. The addition of Alou would enable the Mets to include Milledge, 21, in a trade for pitching.

Alou would give the Mets nine players who are 34 or older, not including left-hander Tom Glavine, 40, whom the team is trying to re-sign. Ken Rosenthal is the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com.

this is a REAL bad signing if it happens. Alou is always banged up and past his prime, hello, Cliff Floyd!

so THIS would be the righty bat they add in the off season?!?! :confused:

Guy can flat out hit when healthy and destroyed Floyd's numbers this past season.

It's November,let's not grade the off season just yet.

I am not sure we are sold on Green as our RF and if we cant package him for a upgrade we will have the 2008 option to have both him and Alou come off the books.

Pitching is our weakness, we can now move Milledge or Gomez in a deal for a starter and still have a top OF prospect.

The line-up is now back to being balanced ala when Nady was on the team only Alou is a much much better hitter.

Hmm, I dont know what to think. He is not young. However, the guy can hit a ton. If he stays healthy (a BIG if) he can outshine what Cliff has done. Alou is an upgrade over Cliffy. I would have liked to see if they could have gotten Man RAM here from the sox but this is not a bad move...we have several youngsters coming up and we dont want to tie up long terms to the LF/RF positions.

Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez are great prospects. I think Lastings is as good as gone...

LL

Hmm, I dont know what to think. He is not young. However, the guy can hit a ton. If he stays healthy (a BIG if) he can outshine what Cliff has done. Alou is an upgrade over Cliffy. I would have liked to see if they could have gotten Man RAM here from the sox but this is not a bad move...we have several youngsters coming up and we dont want to tie up long terms to the LF/RF positions.

Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez are great prospects. I think Lastings is as good as gone...

LL

Probably.

But my gut tells me that his value is not as high as it was last July.

Probably.

But my gut tells me that his value is not as high as it was last July.

The behind the scenes rumors that I have been reading are that Milledge has gotten a bad rep on some of his actions-he will definitely get traded.

• 2 weeks later...
I would tend to agree with fox. They got a good hitter for a reasonable salary and no multi year commitment...

Some other good signings were the Jays resigning zaun and the yankees resigning mussina.

The only issue is his health. Hell of a signing if he can give them at least 130 games on the OF

Archived