Cub fans - Nomar G. out for 2-3 months

faba

Updated: April 21, 2005, 1:17 PM ET

Garciaparra might have surgeryAssociated Pres

Related Video:

Cubs lose Nomar, but still beat Cardinals

ST. LOUIS -- Chicago Cubs shortstop Nomar Garciaparra will be sidelined at least two-to-three months because of a torn left groin.

Nomar Garciaparra

Shortstop

Chicago Cubs

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R SB AVG

14 0 4 6 0 .163

Garciaparra was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday, one day after he got hurt while leaving the batter's box during a game against St. Louis. Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said the muscle pulled away from the bone.

The Cubs, doctors and Garciaparra will decide in the next 10 days whether an operation is needed.

"The surgery is really going to be determined by is it something that Nomar wants to do," O'Neal said. "We're trying to make a determination of what would be the most predictable outcome."

If Garciaparra opts for surgery, O'Neal said the procedure should be done fairly soon so the muscle heals properly.

The Cubs, who entered Thursday's game against the Cardinals without either of their opening-day middle infielders, recalled Ronny Cedeno from Triple-A Iowa. Cedeno was batting .348 with three home runs and six RBI in 13 games in the minors.

The Cubs acquired the star player at the trade deadline in July. He signed to a one-year, $8.25 million free agent deal in the offseason. He was carried off the field after grounding into a double play and collapsing just in front of the batter's box in the third inning. Garciaparra is hitting just .157 with four RBI.

Cubs second baseman Todd Walker also is out, perhaps until June, with a knee injury sustained April 10. For now, Chicago will have to make do with backups Neifi Perez at shortstop and Jerry Hairston Jr. at second base.

Wednesday's game was delayed 1 hour, 22 minutes at the start by rain, but Garciaparra said after the game that it had nothing to do with his injury.

"I'm not going to blame the rain," he said. "The field was in great condition, the grounds crew did a great job, and the field was definitely playable and all of that stuff. I just slipped."

The injury is the latest in a series of setbacks for Garciaparra since he won AL batting titles in 1999 and 2000 with the Boston Red Sox. He was limited to 83 at-bats in 2001 after wrist surgery and he missed more than two months last year with Achilles tendinitis.

This is so sad. This guy was destined for greatness and a first ballot HOF. He was to be the modernday Teddy Williams, Yaz, hero in Boston. Nothing good has happened to him since the SI cover with him flexing. He hurt his wrist very shortly after that and then his numbers dropped. Then he declined a 4 year 60M offer by the Sox. Boy does he ever wish he could call 'mulligan' with that. he gets traded lastyear and the team then goes on to win the World Series. His Cubs then tank down the stretch. This season he is ice cold and now this.

The rise and fall of Nomar Garciaparra. There is a book if ever there was one.

At least he isn't out for the season.

I think the Cubs can tread water for the time he is gone. Hairston and Perez can fill in adequately. The Cubs have been playing at .500 or so even when Nomar being basically useless this entire season. If Kerry Wood can put it all back together, I don't think the Cubs will miss Nomar as much as everyone thinks. Zambrano and Prior are both on top of their game right now.

Losing Nomar will hurt, but I think the Cubs have the bench to persevere. This is Aramis Ramirez's team, don't let the press lie to you.

I think the Cubs can tread water for the time he is gone. Hairston and Perez can fill in adequately. The Cubs have been playing at .500 or so even when Nomar being basically useless this entire season. If Kerry Wood can put it all back together, I don't think the Cubs will miss Nomar as much as everyone thinks. Zambrano and Prior are both on top of their game right now.

Losing Nomar will hurt, but I think the Cubs have the bench to persevere. This is Aramis Ramirez's team, don't let the press lie to you.

Dude, hate to tell you but I think Nomar is gone until next year. He should have the surgery.

Ramirez is one of the most underrated players in the game today.

Ramirez is one of the most underrated players in the game today.

Yeah.

His fielding's improved a lot.

On Nomar....

I think we're gonna miss Nomar's bat.

This is a tough start for the Cubs. Losing Walker, Nomar, Borowski...having fragile Wood and Prior and hoping they are OK, cringing when Latroy takes the hill to close. But they're hanging in there. Too bad today was postponed. A victory to get over .500 would have been nice. I'm liking Hairston, great speed.

d

Thats a tough break for Nomar and a tougher one for the Cubs. I think there are chances are for a 100% recovery, and the guys only going to be 33 in July. He smoked the ball in ST and wasnt seeing it well the first few weeks of the season. He'll be back next year and should have a few more seasons to work on Cooperstown while adding a lot to the Cubs.

Perez can be an ok fill in for him but he's the same age as Nomar and is not going to Schenectady, let alone Cooperstown. Walkers going down will give us a chance to see Hairston's stuff as Busty was flopping his dolphin on that. Borosky ..... we're in trouble if we need him to go anywhere. We're already in trouble with Hawkins there. The season is shaping up for lower ticket prices already. Dont like it but I'm used to it.

Archived