American League MVP - Justin Morneau

Smizzy

Let me say 2 more things.

1. Any yankee bais that I have is overshadowed 100x by the ANTI Yankee bias of some of the posters on this site.

2. The reason this MVP pissed me off so much has ALOT more to do with the stupidity of choosing Morneau then Jeter not winning it.

I'm a homer YET i named 5 NON YANKEES who deserved the award more then Morneau including 2 other players on the twins... But i'm a homer...

Easy to say that now, but I would bet all my vCash that had someone other than Morneau not named Jeter won the award, you'd still be cying about it.

If you aren't a homer, then TX isn't a troll.

Easy to say that now, but I would bet all my vCash that had someone other than Morneau not named Jeter won the award, you'd still be cying about it.

If you aren't a homer, then TX isn't a troll.

WRONG. I've said that Mauer and Santana could've won the award as I've said in previous threads and i wouldn't have had any major problem with it.

The award is no big deal...it doesn't equal a WS Trophy....ask Jetes if he would trade a ring for the MVP trophy....my guess is he would say no.

LL

Congrats Morneau...you really carried your team this year,,,

Truth is, the most valuble player on the Twins was Santana. The Twins went 24-3 in the last 27 games he started, and 27-7 overall in his starts. He was the 1 factor that kept the Twins on the move right up to the end.

Mauer was the next most important factor on that team. A catcher to have the season he had deserves more weight then a 1B having the season Morneau did.

A Catcher and Shortstop deserve more "weighting" in the voting because of the positions they play. And yes, playing the field does count, and has to be a strike against a full time DH.

Jeter deserved a lot of consideration for the season he had, at the palte and in teh field, especially after Sheff and Matsui lissed 100+ games, and Cano missed 40+. Jeter was the rock the held teh Yankees together, and had the biggest hits in the 5 game demolation of the Bosox in August. That series clinched the AL East for the Yankees, although it was not mathematically done yet at that time.

Congrats to Morneau. But IMO, he was not the most deseving this year. Not even on his own team.

Truth is, the most valuble player on the Twins was Santana. The Twins went 24-3 in the last 27 games he started, and 27-7 overall in his starts. He was the 1 factor that kept the Twins on the move right up to the end.

Mauer was the next most important factor on that team. A catcher to have the season he had deserves more weight then a 1B having the season Morneau did.

A Catcher and Shortstop deserve more "weighting" in the voting because of the positions they play. And yes, playing the field does count, and has to be a strike against a full time DH.

Jeter deserved a lot of consideration for the season he had, at the palte and in teh field, especially after Sheff and Matsui lissed 100+ games, and Cano missed 40+. Jeter was the rock the held teh Yankees together, and had the biggest hits in the 5 game demolation of the Bosox in August. That series clinched the AL East for the Yankees, although it was not mathematically done yet at that time.

Congrats to Morneau. But IMO, he was not the most deseving this year. Not even on his own team.

mbn those are good points.

Morneau led the league in hitting and RBIs starting in June. This was also the time the Twins started their move. That is probab;ly what won it for him.

mbn those are good points.

Morneau led the league in hitting and RBIs starting in June. This was also the time the Twins started their move. That is probab;ly what won it for him.

If only the BAWW weren't a bunch of RETARDS and realized that RBI's and BA are HORRIBLE ways to judge a players value.

He's from the Vancouver area so it's a big deal here.

Saw him on local TV this morning. He readily mentioned everybody else in the running including the other guys on his team that he felt had better years than he did. He almost looks bewildered by the award, but he graciously and somewhat hesitantly accepts it.

He's from the Vancouver area so it's a big deal here.

Saw him on local TV this morning. He readily mentioned everybody else in the running including the other guys on his team that he felt had better years than he did. He almost looks bewildered by the award, but he graciously and somewhat hesitantly accepts it.

I'm not saying that he's a bad guy. This really has nothing to do with him. It's about the stupidity of the baseball writers.

A BaseBall site did the following comparison of the top 5 vote getters.

Article:

Compared the five leading vote getters in the MVP race. Basically, since the offense's goal is to score runs, there's no point in bothering with anything other than that. So here are my results.

Jeter either scored or drove in 201 runs, which is 22% of the Yankees' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .323, and he created 123.1 runs.

Ortiz either scored or drove in 198 runs, which is 24% of the Red Sox's total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .354, and he created 146.3 runs.

Dye either scored or drove in 179 runs, which is 21% of the White Sox's total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .332, and he created 128.1 runs.

Morneau either scored or drove in 193 runs, which is 24% of the Twins' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .326, and he created 124.2 runs.

Thomas either scored or drove in 152 runs, which is 20% of the Blue Jays' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .326, and he created 96.1 runs.

Judging by this, I would rate these five offensively best to worst,

Ortiz, Morneau, Dye, Jeter, Thomas. It's very close for the most part, but as you see, Morneau is right up there with the other biggest run producers, which is essentially what these stats show. I think it's fair to give Morneau the nod over Dye and Ortiz because Morneau took his team to the playoffs, while Ortiz didn't. Honestly, I think Ortiz is the better choice, but not by much.

Article:

Compared the five leading vote getters in the MVP race. Basically, since the offense's goal is to score runs, there's no point in bothering with anything other than that. So here are my results.

Jeter either scored or drove in 201 runs, which is 22% of the Yankees' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .323, and he created 123.1 runs.

Ortiz either scored or drove in 198 runs, which is 24% of the Red Sox's total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .354, and he created 146.3 runs.

Dye either scored or drove in 179 runs, which is 21% of the White Sox's total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .332, and he created 128.1 runs.

Morneau either scored or drove in 193 runs, which is 24% of the Twins' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .326, and he created 124.2 runs.

Thomas either scored or drove in 152 runs, which is 20% of the Blue Jays' total offense. His ratio of runs involved in to at bats is .326, and he created 96.1 runs.

Ortiz, Morneau, Dye, Jeter, Thomas. It's very close for the most part, but as you see, Morneau is right up there with the other biggest run producers, which is essentially what these stats show. I think it's fair to give Morneau the nod over Dye and Ortiz because Morneau took his team to the playoffs, while Ortiz didn't. Honestly, I think Ortiz is the better choice, but not by much.

Jeter bats 2nd, everyone else on that list is a 3, 4 or 5 hitter.

Article:

Adding Runs and RBI's and trying to use that number to attempt to mean anything could possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I'm not saying that he's a bad guy. This really has nothing to do with him. It's about the stupidity of the baseball writers.

Why are they stupid?

Jeter is the 'leader' :rolleyes: of a team that had two of the their best offensive players on the DL for most of the year, the best...err most talented player in basebell having his worst season ever and yet they still managed to lead the league in runs scored by alot. It was not all Jeter.

You cannot knock Morneau for having Santana and Mauer when Jeter had Wang, Rivera, Damon and Abreu to name but a few that helped the Yankees overcome the losses of Shef and Matsui.

Jeter had a great season, but Morneau was no slouch. Again, he led the league in hitting from June on. Does Sanatana and Mauer deserve credit? Yes. On June 1st, the Twins were closer to the Royals then Tigers. Over the last four months, he hit over .360 and the team came back to win the division. Santana was great, every 5 days. So was Mauer, but over the last three months when the Twins went from 12 games back to the division title, Morneau outhit Mauer.

Mauer is the most deserving player.

Archived