alright look at the trade this way then......

Mean Papi Green

for the short window when we heard that Oakland was talking to us about the #26 pick I as did many others felt that their 2 second rounders would be more than equal to our first rounder as a matter of fact according to the pick value chart our pick was worth a 700 and their 2's were worth a combined 950

so i felt this would be a great trade for us to make and give us three second rounders and no firsts....but as it turned out we instead got Doug Jolley and 1 second rounder, right???

okay so that brings me to teh point here that one of those second rounders would have gone for a TE obviously, everyone agree

but which TE would be there, most likely not Miller so that means it would be liekly that we end up with Alex Smith as a second round pick to come in and play TE for us and still 2 more second rounders

BUT......if the team felt taht Jolley as an experienced WCO pass catching TE is better than Smith could be for us than this trade makes all the sense in teh world because we have a Te that we know more about AND we still have the 2 second round picks

now this only makes sense if you felt the #26 was worth the 2 second rounders and if youare being honest you would have to admit its a fair deal

not we also have the extra sixth rounders taht we should be able to hit with....remember for all you TB bashers not only did we find a STUD in Coleman in teh 5th last year but teh 7th brought us Trevor Johnson who beat out Matt Walters and played considerable downs for us but also Rashad Washington and Derrick Ward who made another NFL roster

not bad work for 7th rounders huh? lets see what gems they can unearth here and you will se taht this trade makes sense

Me, personally? No. But only because terry Bradway is such a ******* idiot that the further he gets from the top of the draft the less chance he has of getting a good player.

But, value wise, if I had an ounce of faith in our front office, then yes.

At the very least MeanBro, admit that Terry has NO excuse to come out of this deal with at LEAST the #38 pick instead of the #47. AT LEAST admit that.

Me, personally? No. But only because terry Bradway is such a farging idiot that the further he gets from the top of the draft the less chance he has of getting a good player.

But, value wise, if I had an ounce of faith in our front office, then yes.

At the very least MeanBro, admit that Terry has NO excuse to come out of this deal with at LEAST the #38 pick instead of the #47. AT LEAST admit that.

of course i would hav emuch preferred that pick over the one we got but in all likelyhood that earlier pick would have been spent on Smith TE so its all even

2 seconds for a low first is a great deal and taht s basically what we got, plus the 2 sixths

of course i would hav emuch preferred that pick over the one we got but in all likelyhood that earlier pick would have been spent on Smith TE so its all even

2 seconds for a low first is a great deal and taht s basically what we got, plus the 2 sixths

maybe so. but terry "the dope" bradway lost any & all the flexibility the trade offered, by not signing dyson. gee...i wonder what position we'll use with the 47th pick?? bradway is a effin fool!!

According to TB's interview he could have got

the higher 2nd Raider pick but then no 2 6th

rounders..Go Read the interview Jolley is as

nice and polite as Cumar!! Oy!! =D>

where is this interview??

funny how noone aside from TS has disputed the basis of my post, i wonder why????

2 seconds for our first would have thrilled everyone here, right or wrong?

Excellent points mean papi but.....

the fact that he was traded with their lower 1st rd pick for our 1st rd pick.....WHEN THEY WERE DESPERATE TO GET BACK IN THE 1st RD.......well we got fleeced.

......................gonna go play the trombone now :x

The Jets traded down from their 26th pick and picked up two 2nd rounders.

#47 and Doug Jolley. Not even mentioning the two extra picks on The 2nd day of the draft.

Now if a team at the end of the first round trades down to The 2nd round. Let me see them get two 2nd round picks and guarantee me that one of those second round picks is going to start next season like Jolley is for The Jets.

I can't help it that most Jets fans know very little about Doug Jolley or his ability or his potential.

That's your problem not mine.

This would have been a much better deal if we would have gotten more than 2 6th rd picks!

Should have pulled in at least a 4th rd pick on top of that 2nd rd pick. Thats the part that ticks me off.

But maybe Bradway will make use of those 3 6th rd picks in his pocket and trade up for a player in the 4th or 5th rds that they target.

i remember, you needed to calm down a bit bro, i was trying to refocus your anger

I know mean papi. You're still cool in my book.

But I am not returning to JI. There's less than a handful of good posters over there that don't post over here..........

#47 and Doug Jolley. Not even mentioning the two extra picks on The 2nd day of the draft.

The problem with that logic is that everyone knew that Jolley wasnt going to start next season, making his value drop. We gave up a third round pick for him, according to value charts, we should have given up a 4th.

eLOT

The problem with that logic is that everyone knew that Jolley wasnt going to start next season, making his value drop. We gave up a third round pick for him, according to value charts, we should have given up a 4th.

eLOT

Ok good point. Jolley is a 2nd round pick and would have been no worse than a 3rd rounder in this draft.

His physical numbers are better than heath miller and alex smith.

The thing to remember with value charts is this.

They are just a starting point for negotiations.

So if The value chart says you get an extra 3. That point is negotiable between the two parties.

Ok good point. Jolley is a 2nd round pick and would have been no worse than a 3rd rounder in this draft.

His physical numbers are better than heath miller and alex smith.

The thing to remember with value charts is this.

They are just a starting point for negotiations.

So if The value chart says you get an extra 3. That point is negotiable between the two parties.

I dont doubt that he'll be good for us, i just want #38 and not #47, simple as that. Value is value.

eLOT

Okay, maybe someone here can explain to me how you feel the Jets got two second round picks out of this deal. Sure, Jolley was drafted in the second round like three years ago but I challenge anyone to keep a straight face and tell me that the Raiders could have gotten any more than a 4th. round pick for him straight up.

Okay, maybe someone here can explain to me how you feel the Jets got two second round picks out of this deal. Sure, Jolley was drafted in the second round like three years ago but I challenge anyone to keep a straight face and tell me that the Raiders could have gotten any more than a 4th. round pick for him straight up.

read my post its simple, if we had gotten 2 second rounders everyone would have been happy, that would give us three...1 of which we surely would have reached for a TE that is inferior to Jolley

so we saved ourselves that mistake by locking up a better experienced TE and still having 2 more second rounders which we would have had in both scenarios

very simple

Now if a team at the end of the first round trades down to The 2nd round. Let me see them get two 2nd round picks and guarantee me that one of those second round picks is going to start next season like Jolley is for The Jets.

I can't help it that most Jets fans know very little about Doug Jolley or his ability or his potential.

That's your problem not mine.

What are you, a Doug Jolley expert?

So far, here's the dazzling summation of observations you've offered about Doug Jolley:

"He didn't put up numbers in Oakland because Bill Callahan and Norv Turner, despite being offensive gurus, mis-used him and ultimately demoted him. He's really a very good TE despite the fact that after three seasons he has done next to nothing in the NFL. And Heath Miller is over-rated because he doesn't have 90 catches and 5 TD's in three years like the great Doug Jolley."

Some of the logic here really is baffling.

Lets just arbitrarily decide that a guy who has averaged 29 catches for 281.5 yards and 1.5 TDs over the last two years and doesn't block would be considered the best TE in this draft and worthy of a #1 pick.

:roll:

The reason? Well he's 26, he's more developed than Heath Miller--- nevermind that his state of development at 26 is not all that impressive.

and lets just arbitrarily dismiss guys with 1st round talent and decide that there's no way they could possibly contribute 281.5 yards and 1.5 TDs with no blocking...

Some of the logic here really is baffling.

Lets just arbitrarily decide that a guy who has averaged 29 catches for 281.5 yards and 1.5 TDs over the last two years and doesn't block would be considered the best TE in this draft and worthy of a #1 pick.

The reason? Well he's 26, he's more developed than Heath Miller--- nevermind that his state of development at 26 is not all that impressive.

and lets just arbitrarily dismiss guys with 1st round talent and decide that there's no way they could possibly contribute 281.5 yards and 1.5 TDs with no blocking...

we didn't get him for the 26th pick. we got him for the 26th pick minus the 47th pick.

so, not including the late round picks thrown in...

26th=700pts

47th=430pts

doug jolley=270 pts. that is worth the last pick in the 2nd round. ill take him for that.

I didn't say anything about that.

I think the best way to characterize it is that you dropped from 26 to 47 for him, yes, but nowhere in my post was I mentioning that.

nope, you are just forgetting about that 2nd round pick. you are saying we could have got either jolley or miller with the 26th pick. something that isn't true. and this is coming from someone who isn't overly supportive of the trade.

nope, you are just forgetting about that 2nd round pick. you are saying we could have got either jolley or miller with the 26th pick. something that isn't true. and this is coming from someone who isn't overly supportive of the trade.

Please highlight where I said that in that particular post.

Here's a hint: it's not there. So stop saying things that aren't true.

Please highlight where I said that in that particular post.

Here's a hint: it's not there. So stop saying things that aren't true.

exactly. you conveniently did not say it so that it would support your cause even more. that is what im saying. i never said you said anything, i said you did not put it in there because it would help what you were trying to say. reading comprehension is a blessing...

you said that we are dismissing that heath miller could have done what jolley has averaged. but if we would have taken miller at 26th we wouldn't have been able to take anyone at 47. thats a big difference. but you conveniently left that out. nice job. =D>

YWM - [-X

The Jets could have had Miller and the 57th pick.

Now, they have the 47th and 57th with Jolley thrown in.

So if one of the top CBs drop down to 26, like Wilfork slid last year after a run at wideouts, the Jets will miss out on him and will have to settle for a player that has some negative against them.

YWM - [-X

The Jets could have had Miller and the 57th pick.

Now, they have the 47th and 57th with Jolley thrown in.

So if one of the top CBs drop down to 26, like Wilfork slid last year after a run at wideouts, the Jets will miss out on him and will have to settle for a player that has some negative against them.

for one thing i said im not very supportive of the trade. i think its alright. i just think that someone who is advocating that it is a bad trade should at least put the right information in there. that is all. yes, a cb might fall to 26. but, is that cb that much better than a cb at 47? to me, its not a huge difference. i don't think rolle, jones or rogers is going to fall to 26. i never wanted fabian washington or marlin jackson. only guy i wanted at all was justin miller and he is falling anyways. and if we did pick a corner at 26 we wouldn't have a tight end at all. so this way we might get a corner at 47 who i don't think is much worse than what will be there at 26 and we get a decent tight end, one who isn't heath miller or alex smith, neither of which i wanted anyways. again, i don't like the trade ALOT, but i don't hate it ALOT either. its 'ok' and in a draft such as this one i don't mind it.

YWN - I think the trade is ok also.

While there is little difference between 26th and 47th CB if things go as predicted, what happens when they do not? If you told me last year the Patriots would have their choice between one of top two DTs (Wilfork) and RBs at 21 (Stephen Jackson), I would have said you were crazy, but things went crazy and alot of wideouts went early in the first round. If someone falls the Jets could use, they might be kicking themselves.

IMHO the Jets went the safe route.

YWN - I think the trade is ok also.

While there is little difference between 26th and 47th CB if things go as predicted, what happens when they do not? If you told me last year the Patriots would have their choice between one of top two DTs (Wilfork) and RBs at 21 (Stephen Jackson), I would have said you were crazy, but things went crazy and alot of wideouts went early in the first round. If someone falls the Jets could use, they might be kicking themselves.

IMHO the Jets went the safe route.

yes they did go the safe route. they knew that alot of teams are looking to trade down. they knew the raiders would most likely find another trading parter BEFORE draft day if the jets didn't make the deal. they also realized that if the board falls as predicted no teams may want to trade up and they would be stuck with the pick. it also seems that they like jolley alot as bradway said that they have looked at him for a while now. i really believe that they thought this was their best chance for getting out of the 1st round with decent value and picking up a decent 2nd round pick and a tight end they liked. if rogers or pacman falls im sure they will be dissapointed, but its very doubtful it happens.

yes they did go the safe route. they knew that alot of teams are looking to trade down. they knew the raiders would most likely find another trading parter BEFORE draft day if the jets didn't make the deal. they also realized that if the board falls as predicted no teams may want to trade up and they would be stuck with the pick. it also seems that they like jolley alot as bradway said that they have looked at him for a while now. i really believe that they thought this was their best chance for getting out of the 1st round with decent value and picking up a decent 2nd round pick and a tight end they liked. if rogers or pacman falls im sure they will be dissapointed, but its very doubtful it happens.

Not so much the safe route but the route which will give them the most production this year. To me it's the smart route.

Archived