6th round selections equate to "dead" players

afosomf

Sorry 6th rd picks are more likely to have zero impact than a high 2nd rounder. Sorry the chances of

picking up a Brady or T Davis are very slim.

If Badway wanted another 6 rd pick over the 38th pick

HE is a Dumber M'F'ker than i initially thought.

Jolley still sucks, this is no upgrade over Becht.

Sorry 6th rd picks are more likely to have zero impact than a high 2nd rounder. Sorry the chances of

picking up a Brady or T Davis are very slim.

If Badway wanted another 6 rd pick over the 38th pick

HE is a Dumber M'F'ker than i initially thought.

Jolley still sucks, this is no upgrade over Becht.

So afo, do you like the trade or not?

coleman was a fifth,

Trevor Johsnon was a 7th,

Derrick Ward was a seventh,

and Rashard washington was a seventh

they were all drafted last year by Bradway and all contributed to the team, if their scouts find some diamonds in the rough we can very likey find a few guys that can contribute this year as well

coleman was a fifth,

they were all drafted last year by Bradway and all contributed to the team, if their scouts find some diamonds in the rough we can very likey find a few guys that can contribute this year as well

darrel mcclover was a 7th as well. but the point is, bradway preferred two 6th rounders over the 38th pick. to bank on 6 rounders making the team is fool's gold. banking on those same 6th rounders being real contributors is arrogance on the part of bradway. he should have taken the 38th pick. period.

darrel mcclover was a 7th as well. but the point is, bradway preferred two 6th rounders over the 38th pick. to bank on 6 rounders making the team is fool's gold. banking on those same 6th rounders being real contributors is arrogance on the part of bradway. he should have taken the 38th pick. period.

he didnt prefer 2 6th rounders over the 38th,,,he preferred 2 6th rounders and the 47th over JUST the 38th...

Jets may not see a huge difference in 38 to 47 and feel extra picks can be used to maybe parlay a move into extra picks in earlier rounds, a 5 and a 6 for someone they like in the upper part of 5th round etc...

coleman was a fifth,

MPG- your point please, the players you listed are stiff as boards!!!!!!!!

I was with you all the way up until this statement. You lose credibility when you add a statement that makes no sense. Becht was awful, Jolley is an upgrade.

Jolley was so good he was 3rd TE on a terrible raider team. I think the strong NC sun has corrupted your thought process.

he didnt prefer 2 6th rounders over the 38th,,,he preferred 2 6th rounders and the 47th over JUST the 38th...

Jets may not see a huge difference in 38 to 47 and feel extra picks can be used to maybe parlay a move into extra picks in earlier rounds, a 5 and a 6 for someone they like in the upper part of 5th round etc...

six in one hand, a half a dozen in the other. the jets should have the 38th pick. not the 47th & two 6th rounders.

Jolley was so good he was 3rd TE on a terrible raider team. I think the strong NC sun has corrupted your thought process.

It may have, but I'm in Albany. :D

There aren't too many people who don't view Jolley as an upgrade over Becht. Maybe not a big enough upgrade to warrant the equivalent of a high third round pick, but an upgrade nevertheless.

the jets should have the 38th pick. not the 47th & two 6th rounders.

Maybe Bradway is shooting for the best damn Practice Squad in the NFL.

That's exactly where those 6th-round picks will end up, if they are not cut outright.

BTW, it will be very interesting to see what players come off the board 38-46. #-o

Maybe Bradway is shooting for the best damn Practice Squad in the NFL.

That's exactly where those 6th-round picks will end up, if they are not cut outright.

BTW, it will be very interesting to see what players come off the board 38-46. #-o

tex how the friggin hell can you say that crap when Tom Brady was a 6th round pick - without that 6th round pick who would you jerk off to every day? Manny?

tex how the friggin hell can you say that crap when Tom Brady was a 6th round pick - without that 6th round pick who would you jerk off to every day? Manny?

Come on bit, be serious.

A 6th-round pick like Brady comes along once in a Blue Moon. You think the Pats thought Brady was going to be the player he is today? No friggn' way. That selection was for a back-up QB and nothing more.

So what the chances those 6th round picks even make the Jets 53-man roster? 10%, 20%??????

And then whats the chances that one of those picks is a starter or major contributor? Probably less than 10%.

in terry's world draft picks always get first chance to make the roster - don't be surprised if one or both players make the team

we are talking about a man that gave Alan Harper about 50 undeserved chances to make the team, based purely on his draft status - when Terry makes a pick, that guy just doesn't get cut too often.

http://www.drafthistory.com/rounds/round_6.html

Sure, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, however that was an unusual confluence of circumstances: a highly comptetent FO, horrible misevaluation of his talent by the league at large, and sheer dumb luck.

Lets look at the 6th rounders taken in 2001 and 2002

164 Miami Brandon Winey T Louisiana State

165 Cleveland Michael Jameson SS Texas A&M

166 Arizona Bobby Newcombe WR Nebraska

167 Atlanta Randy Garner DE Arkansas

168 Cincinnati Riall Johnson OLB Stanford

169 San Francisco Cedrick Wilson WR Tennessee

170 Jacksonville Chad Ward G Washington

171 Dallas Daleroy Stewart DT Southern Mississippi

172 Seattle Josh Booty QB Louisiana State

173 Detroit Jason Glenn OLB Texas A&M

174 Tampa Bay Jameel Cook FB Illinois

175 Carolina Dee Brown RB Syracuse

176 Kansas City Alex Sulfsted G Miami, O.

177 Miami Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma

178 Buffalo Tony Driver FS Notre Dame

179 San Francisco Rashad Holman CB Louisville

180 New England Arther Love TE South Carolina State

181 Pittsburgh Rodney Bailey DE Ohio State

182 Pittsburgh Roger Knight OLB Wisconsin

183 Tampa Bay Ellis Wyms DT Mississippi State

184 Oakland Chris Cooper DT Nebraska-Omaha

185 New Orleans Mitch White T Oregon State

186 Washington Mario Monds DT Cincinnati

187 Miami Otis Leverette DE Ala.-Birmingham

188 Miami Rick Crowell LB Colorado State

189 Minnesota Carey Scott CB Kentucky State

190 Denver Kevin Kasper WR Iowa

191 San Francisco Menson Holloway DE Texas-El Paso

192 Tennessee Dan Alexander RB Nebraska

193 Indianapolis Jason Doering FS Wisconsin

194 Baltimore Joe Maese C New Mexico

195 Buffalo Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame

196 Buffalo Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt

197 St. Louis Francis St. Paul WR Northern Arizona

198 Green Bay David Martin TE Tennessee

199 Tennessee Adam Haayer T Minnesota

200 New England Leonard Myers CB Miami

173 Houston Demarcus Faggins CB Kansas State

174 Carolina Keith Heinrich TE Sam Houston State

175 Detroit Chris Cash CB Southern California

176 Buffalo Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

177 Minnesota Nick Rogers OLB Georgia Tech

178 San Diego Matt Anderle T Minnesota

179 Dallas Tyson Walter C Ohio State

180 Jacksonville Clenton Ballard DT S.W. Texas State

181 Cincinnati Marquand Manuel FS Florida

182 Indianapolis David Pugh DT Virginia Tech

183 Indianapolis James Lewis DB Miami

184 Atlanta Kahlil Hill WR Iowa

185 Arizona Josh Scobey RB Kansas State

186 New Orleans J.T. O'Sullivan QB Cal-Davis

187 Tennessee Justin Hartwig C Kansas

188 N.Y. Giants Wesly Mallard OLB Oregon

189 Oakland Keyon Nash DB Albany State, Ga.

190 Houston Howard Green DT Louisiana State

191 Denver Jeb Putzier TE Boise State

192 Washington Reggie Coleman T Tennessee

193 Tampa Bay John Stamper DE South Carolina

194 Seattle Craig Jarrett P Michigan State

195 Baltimore Lamont Brightful CB Eastern Washington

196 New Orleans John Gilmore TE Penn State

197 Oakland Larry Ned RB San Diego State

198 Philadelphia Tyreo Harrison MLB Notre Dame

199 Chicago Adrian Peterson RB Georgia Southern

200 Green Bay Mike Houghton T San Diego State

201 San Francisco Mark Anelli TE Wisconsin

202 Pittsburgh Lee Mays WR Texas-El Paso

203 Chicago Jamin Elliott WR Delaware

204 Indianapolis Brian Allen RB Stanford

205 St. Louis Steve Bellisari DB Ohio State

206 Baltimore Javin Hunter WR Notre Dame

207 Baltimore Chester Taylor RB Toledo

208 Dallas Deveren Johnson WR Sacred Heart

209 Baltimore Chad Williams SS Southern Mississippi

210 Chicago Bryan Fletcher TE UCLA

211 Dallas Bob Slowikowski TE Virginia Tech

So that's, what, 76 draft picks? among them Jeb Putzier, Rodney Bailey, and Cedrick Wilson.

Stunning success rate, that.

Since you guys have such hard-ons for 6th rounders now, let me be the first Pats fan to suggest that your team should consider moving down from 57 to 64 for the Patriots 6th rounder. Heck, we could throw in our '06 6th too.

in terry's world draft picks always get first chance to make the roster - don't be surprised if one or both players make the team

Hey, maybe both players make the roster and play significant roles. Of course that can happen.

All I am doing is basing my comments on the historical percentages of all 6th-round picks.

Now tell me bit, would you rather that the two 6th-rounders or the #38th overall pick?

I know what I would prefer. :wink:

we are talking about a man that gave Alan Harper about 50 undeserved chances to make the team, based purely on his draft status - when Terry makes a pick, that guy just doesn't get cut too often.

all that is true. so why don't i feel any better about bradway requesting two 6th rounders? :cry:

2000 had a stunning success rate in the 6th round: Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Mike Anderson, Dhani Jones, Mario Edwards, Jeno James, and Adalius Thomas all went in the 6th round that year. That might be the most impressive 6th round haul in a long, long, long time.

That was in 39 picks. Throw in Putzier, Bailey, and Cedrick Wilson and the '01 and '02 drafts.

So we have 115 draft picks and by my count 10 solid hits.

That's an 8.7% success rate, and I think that number is skewed pretty high by the sensational 6th round of 2000.

There aren't too many people who don't view Jolley as an upgrade over Becht.

Jolley is a superior receiver but Becht is the much better blocker. Since we are a run oriented team, blocking may be more important. We also did pretty good with no receiving TE's last year.

This rican has got the right idea. assmop is just angry because he took his wifes name upon marrige. who knows what will happen. jolley is better than becht, when you look at the stats the stats dont say how many DROPS the two had.

coleman was a fifth,

2000 had a stunning success rate in the 6th round: Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Mike Anderson, Dhani Jones, Mario Edwards, Jeno James, and Adalius Thomas all went in the 6th round that year. That might be the most impressive 6th round haul in a long, long, long time.

That was in 39 picks. Throw in Putzier, Bailey, and Cedrick Wilson and the '01 and '02 drafts.

So we have 115 draft picks and by my count 10 solid hits.

That's an 8.7% success rate, and I think that number is skewed pretty high by the sensational 6th round of 2000.

Gee, RS, you only consider starters that make full time contributions to be successful 6th round draft picks?

I didn't realize that rosters were only 22 players deep #-o

Non of us are GM's especially not Seymour. Then again who needs a GM that just steals material from kffl and pawns it off as his own ideas. That being said this draft has a lot of interesting prospects expected to go late in this draft that are raw athletes and can add something on special teams as well as add depth.

Bottom Line

The value at 38 is much higher than 47.

Now lets say, Justin Miller slips to rd 2, and we want to trade up from 38 to san frans pick to nab Justin.

Throw in a 4th rd pick and its easy cake, we would then get Miller

But trying to trade from 47 to 33 will be much harder than from 38 to 33.

I think Bradway made this deal with the 47 and not 38 assuming that Dyson would sign. Well he was wrong!!

First off, I would have taken the higher 2 over the two 6's ... lets get that right out of the way

Having said that, here's how I view the 6's and the deal Bradway opted for instead

This now gives the Jets three 6's ... in order for Bradway to come out a big winner in this trade and justify his opting for the additional 6's, he now has to find a QUALITY STARTER in RD 6

NOT A ROLL PLAYER

NOT A SPECIAL TEAMS DEMON

NOT A QUALITY BACKUP

A QUALITY STARTER!!!!!

Bradway now has three 6's to play with ... obviously that was his preference over a higher 2 ... FINE ... but now he has to turn one of those three 6's into a QUALITY STARTER ... if he fails to do so, then he made the wrong choice

Simple as that ... he clearly trusted his ability to parlay three 6's into better value than a higher 2 ... FINE ... but in order to make that preception a reality, he has to land at least ONE QUALITY STARTER in RD 6

CASE CLOSED

This now gives the Jets three 6's ... in order for Bradway to come out a big winner in this trade and justify his opting for the additional 6's, he now has to find a QUALITY STARTER in RD 6

NOT A ROLL PLAYER

NOT A SPECIAL TEAMS DEMON

NOT A QUALITY BACKUP

A QUALITY STARTER!!!!!

Bradway now has three 6's to play with ... obviously that was his preference over a higher 2 ... FINE ... but now he has to turn one of those three 6's into a QUALITY STARTER ... if he fails to do so, then he made the wrong choice

Simple as that ... he clearly trusted his ability to parlay three 6's into better value than a higher 2 ... FINE ... but in order to make that preception a reality, he has to land at least ONE QUALITY STARTER in RD 6

CASE CLOSED

Hammer, just to play devil's advocate here.

In Seymour's above post, he gave a pretty good analysis that the success rate of finding starters in the 6th round is 8.7%.

And you think Bradway can come through at 33% to find a starter in the 6th?

Good luck on that one.

Personally, I think his odds are better at finding 3 players who make the roster and contribute somewhat during the course of the year.

In any case, both scenarios present very long odds and percentages for Mr. Bradway.

And you are right, he should have taken the 38th and ditched the two 6th-rounders.

Hammer, just to play devil's advocate here.

In Seymour's above post, he gave a pretty good analysis that the success rate of finding starters in the 6th round is 8.7%.

And you think Bradway can come through at 33% to find a starter in the 6th?

Good luck on that one.

Personally, I think his odds are better at finding 3 players who make the roster and contribute somewhat during the course of the year.

In any case, both scenarios present very long odds and percentages for Mr. Bradway.

And you are right, he should have taken the 38th and ditched the two 6th-rounders.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I don't care what the odds are ... you give ME three 6's to play with and I am hitting on one future starter with three swings

And if you think I'm lying I'll prove it ... I'll take that challenge ... when the draft has ended remind me to list three players I would have drafted in RD 6 {who were still on the board for the Jets in each spot}, and see if I don't nail one future starter :wink:

Archived