I miss Curtis

Jets Girl

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok.....I know that Martin isn't going to be playing anymore...but I sure do miss him on the field....anyone else agree..I'm new to posting stuff so be gentle with me please.Marci:) PS we are going to kick some Packer ASS!!!!!

:eek: I didn't edit that by the way...

Ok.....I know that Martin isn't going to be playing anymore...but I sure do miss him on the field....anyone else agree..I'm new to posting stuff so be gentle with me please.Marci:) PS we are going to kick some Packer ASS!!!!!

Welcome to the board Marci!!!

Yeah we all miss Martin but every good thing must come to an end right?

Sunday will be fun that's for sure.

hey welcome JG-you can still use the edit feature LOL just click on the thread again

Martin is one of the greatest Jets of all time, plus a great guy off the field as well. If you don't miss Martin, it'll be hard to consider yourself a real Jets fan. However, it sure seems like his career is done, all good things must come to an end unfourtunately, and it's time to move on. The Jets will be hard-pressed to find a true replacement for him.

Out of all the Jets options right now, I would go with L. Washington personally, he seems to have what it takes, both physicaly and mentally. As for him being 'undersized', anybody ever here of Willie Parker?

Martin is one of the greatest Jets of all time, plus a great guy off the field as well. If you don't miss Martin, it'll be hard to consider yourself a real Jets fan. However, it sure seems like his career is done, all good things must come to an end unfourtunately, and it's time to move on. The Jets will be hard-pressed to find a true replacement for him.

Out of all the Jets options right now, I would go with L. Washington personally, he seems to have what it takes, both physicaly and mentally. As for him being 'undersized', anybody ever here of Willie Parker?

Pittsburgh's running game isn't dominant anymore with Parker getting all the carries.

Tiki or Dunn would've been good examples though.

Myrtle Beach is awsome !!!!!

Welcome aboard. Where in Myrtle ?

My heart has been empty just like the Jets backfield since Curtis has been gone....I miss him so much. He would have at least had 500 -600 yards bad knee and all. And it hurts not seeing that handsome face at JFK anymore....:baby: .....Guns my girl is looking beautiful in that pic with you.

Anyone else get irritated when Jets fans impose litmus tests on other Jets fans about what it takes to be a "real Jets fan"? Why is it always always the Curtis Martin faithful who feel the need to do this kind of thing?

Some of us feel that Curtis, although a fine upstanding human being and a solid running back over a long career, was at the same time massively overpaid by the Jets and laughably overrated in the pantheon of all time RB greats.

Whether the blame can be laid completely at the feet of misguided head coach or whether Curtis bears some of the responsibility also, there is no doubt that at times, the best interests of ther Jets football team were subordinated to the personal career milestones of one Curtis Martin. So given the fact that he was probably in the top 3 running backs of all time in terms of his financial comepnsation, possibly even the highest paid ever, there are also those of us who wonder how exactly Curtis came upon his reputation for being this "team first" guy.

If it is the charitable giving, many players contribute to charity. Somehow the stories about Curtis' <supposedly> secret charitable activities would make it into every newspaper every single year as regular as clockwork. Cynics in the audience can be forgiven for suspecting that there was some selective leaking of information that was going on.

Other athletes recognize when their 15 minutes is up and they exit stage left in a dignified manner before it becomes embarrassing. Curtis needs to ride off into the sunset.

Anyone else get irritated when Jets fans impose litmus tests on other Jets fans about what it takes to be a "real Jets fan"? Why is it always always the Curtis Martin faithful who feel the need to do this kind of thing?

Some of us feel that Curtis, although a fine upstanding human being and a solid running back over a long career, was at the same time massively overpaid by the Jets and laughably overrated in the pantheon of all time RB greats.

Whether the blame can be laid completely at the feet of misguided head coach or whether Curtis bears some of the responsibility also, there is no doubt that at times, the best interests of ther Jets football team were subordinated to the personal career milestones of one Curtis Martin. So given the fact that he was probably in the top 3 running backs of all time in terms of his financial comepnsation, possibly even the highest paid ever, there are also those of us who wonder how exactly Curtis came upon his reputation for being this "team first" guy.

If it is the charitable giving, many players contribute to charity. Somehow the stories about Curtis' <supposedly> secret charitable activities would make it into every newspaper every single year as regular as clockwork. Cynics in the audience can be forgiven for suspecting that there was some selective leaking of information that was going on.

Other athletes recognize when their 15 minutes is up and they exit stage left in a dignified manner before it becomes embarrassing. Curtis needs to ride off into the sunset.

When other football players and coaches talk about "selfless leaders" and "team guys", it is just my hunch that they are not talking about what charities they give to.

When other football players and coaches talk about "selfless leaders" and "team guys", it is just my hunch that they are not talking about what charities they give to.

Selfless how?

Did he offer to give back money to get other players in like Chad did with LC? Sure he restructured but every time he did that it was with more money, more years and bigger signing bonuses which had the net effect of pushing back his effective "cannot be cut before" date. Nothing selfless there.

Did he take less in his contract renegotiations so the team would have room under the cap to sign other players? (ala Tom Brady or even Wayne Chrebet) Nope, he was consistently at or very near the top of the NFL in compensation for Running Backs. Nothing selfless or team first in there.

OK, well what about being "team first" when it conflicts with you own personal needs/goals? Did he sit when he knew he was injured and ineffective and when he knew there were capable alternatives riding the pine? That would have been selfless for sure. Jets first Curtis second. Nooooo...., he led the league in carries (or close to it) ..... Gotta keep that streak of thousand yard season alive doncha know ;) Edwards and Hackett might have been enablers but the was nothing selfless about the way Curtis wanted the rock even when his level of play did not deserve the rock.

So what part of any of that is "selfless" ? Selfless mean putting the needs of other before your own. Please explain how he got that monika

My heart has been empty just like the Jets backfield since Curtis has been gone....I miss him so much. He would have at least had 500 -600 yards bad knee and all. And it hurts not seeing that handsome face at JFK anymore....:baby: .....Guns my girl is looking beautiful in that pic with you.

hey 2-8 is back-speaking of pretty faces and all....

"Selfless" would've been telling the imbecile HC in 2004 to give some more carries to Jordan to keep himself fresh and the team on a winning path rather than slavishly give Martin 370+ carries to win a meangingless rushing title. Or to allow Jordan into either playoff game while he played like a total turd in both such games. Instead we had coaches fighting on the sidelines of the Bolts game about who the RB would be.

"Selfless" might've entailed giving Jordan and others carries in 2003 rather than pursue a stupid and senseless streak that meant very little to the team.

"Selfless" might also telling the truth as to whether Mangini and Tannebaum were ever told about how bad his condition was coming into 2006. Though I don't think it really mattered, since Mangini can read the stats on Martin's birth certificate and knows a 32/33 year-old running back in the NFL is a pointless proposition.

I too cherish those wonderfeul playoff games where Martin took the Jets on his back and ran to title..., or uh..., an AFC East title not earned with 9 wins on a 3rd tiebreaker. Yeah,

those were the days!

Martin was a good-not great-running back. Given the standards of the HoF, he's likely in. But spare us the "Mother Theresa" nonsense. Whether he was Ghandi or Stalin off the field mattered very little on it.

hey 2-8 is back-speaking of pretty faces and all....

Thank you for making my day as I sit here in the nasty gloomy weather at JFK....70 degrees my a$$.....:yawn: . As for what the other guys were saying.....Curtis did give money back for one....it isn't his fault that Herm chose to play him instead of giving Lamont some run...speaking of which how great is he doing right now :yawn: . And Curtis produced when he was on that field. Say what you want but you have to admit that he ran and he got yards. If we would have had half the O-Line we have this year last year he wouldn't have gotten all mucked up. Before someone responds to that ie....Chad with the exception of his questionable games this year has played well because he has protection and is better taken care of by this O-Line that we have this year. As for him being the team player he is...Players always speak of the advice and the leadership he shows in the locker room and on the field and his never say die attitude. But he has taken a seat instead of hurting the team this year by trying to run. Tell me that isn't a selfless act since you all contend that he ran to pad his own numbers....why isn't he running now?......And lastly Yeah all players give to charity and do their part but if it isn't anything that the Jets Organization head up you never hear Curtis's name mentioned. Every half moon maybe because he gives of himself and doesnt look to be recognized like the Tiki Barbers, the Shockeys of the world and all the other guys that are always on page 5. Give Curtis the love he deserves...no one is claiming he's the greatest but he is one of the best that has done it...

Please explain how he got that monika

I think you are confusing him with president Clinton.

All I can go by is what coaches and players said about him. If you know better, well I guess I cant disagree. Please tell me your relationship with Curtis, you seem to know his motivations as if you are close to him, or even inside his mind.

BTW-He cut his base salary substatially this year. It was not a re-structure

And, there will be 512 games played in the NFL this year. The combined rcords of all teams in those games will be 206 and 206.

Sperm, you are a better poster than that.

But, this has been re-hashed ad nauseum.

Yeah, but no one's anointing any 8-8 teams as one of the greatest of all-time. What a silly comparison.

And I didn't start this thread. The new girl did & she's more than welcome to. Get off her back you bully.

I think you are confusing him with president Clinton.

All I can go by is what coaches and players said about him. If you know better, well I guess I cant disagree. Please tell me your relationship with Curtis, you seem to know his motivations as if you are close to him, or even inside his mind.

BTW-He cut his base salary substatially this year. It was not a re-structure

Let me turn that one around. I do not know his motivations and neither do the people who are making claims here to the contrary. All any of us can do is measure and judge by the known and observed facts. They have been known, observed and pointed out quite clearly earlier in this thread. You make my point for me. I point out a fact, highest paid RB in the history of the NFL or close to it and ask "how this is evidence of being selfless"? You come back with some guff about how everybody knows that Curtis is this or that. I speak to the issue of continuing to hog the ball while sucking and after the fact admitting that you shouldn't probably have played (the next season) and ask "how is this evidence of being selfless?".... you come back with some guff about... well you get the message I am sure.

Oh for goodness sakes. Please tell me that you understand that the the salary "cut" that Curtis took this year was not really a cut at all. Certain salary years are designed from the get go never to be paid. Everybody understands that from the get go. They are just there so the agent and player can talk about this fifty million dollar deal or that seventy-five million dollar deal. Everyone understands even before the ink is dry which years are renegotiate-or-be-cut years. Curtis was never making six million dollars this year. To claim that he was is just silly.

Real give backs are when Chad comes in and offers two million from his salary to resign LC. Really taking one for the team is what Bettis did for the Steelers by helping the team to transition to his replacement. Real team-first behavior is what Tom Brady did in New England by agreeing to take less than his true market value for his services in order to give the team flexibility to sign other players. Curtis did none of those things.

Where do you guys dream this stuff up?

Yeah, but no one's anointing any 8-8 teams as one of the greatest of all-time. What a silly comparison.

And I didn't start this thread. The new girl did & she's more than welcome to. Get off her back you bully.

Just posting YPA is a very pedestrian way of trying to prove a point, that's all I am saying. Riggins was a 3.9. Marcus Allen 4.1 along with Franco Harris.

And, BTW the '91 Jets were one of the best in history

Why are we turning this thread into a argument

Martin was a class act that did his job whether you like him or not give him credit for as a person.

Faba this thread became what it became when people pass comments about "how can you call yourself a real Jets fan if you don't agree that Curtis is <fill in the blank>".

Faba this thread became what it became when people pass comments about "how can you call yourself a real Jets fan if you don't agree that Curtis is <fill in the blank>".

Yes we are all Jet fans but that does not mean we have to agree on all things Jets- that is why we are jetnation. Just because we disagree does not mean you are not a Jet fan- agreed.

Let me turn that one around. I do not know his motivations and neither do the people who are making claims here to the contrary. All any of us can do is measure and judge by the known and observed facts. They have been known, observed and pointed out quite clearly earlier in this thread. You make my point for me. I point out a fact, highest paid RB in the history of the NFL or close to it and ask "how this is evidence of being selfless"? You come back with some guff about how everybody knows that Curtis is this or that. I speak to the issue of continuing to hog the ball while sucking and after the fact admitting that you shouldn't probably have played (the next season) and ask "how is this evidence of being selfless?".... you come back with some guff about... well you get the message I am sure.

Oh for goodness sakes. Please tell me that you understand that the the salary "cut" that Curtis took this year was not really a cut at all. Certain salary years are designed from the get go never to be paid. Everybody understands that from the get go. They are just there so the agent and player can talk about this fifty million dollar deal or that seventy-five million dollar deal. Everyone understands even before the ink is dry which years are renegotiate-or-be-cut years. Curtis was never making six million dollars this year. To claim that he was is just silly.

Real give backs are when Chad comes in and offers two million from his salary to resign LC. Really taking one for the team is what Bettis did for the Steelers by helping the team to transition to his replacement. Real team-first behavior is what Tom Brady did in New England by agreeing to take less than his true market value for his services in order to give the team flexibility to sign other players. Curtis did none of those things.

Where do you guys dream this stuff up?

I have to be honest-I don't get what you are saying, and its basis in reality.

YOU claim to want to understan d why Martin is "selfless" I tell you that all I goi by is what coaches and players say. Again, you seem to know better than them.

And thsi stuff about make believe contracts and give backs. Show me 10 players that have given back on their contract. Since it is so "common place", name m,e 10 paleysr that should be easy

I have to be honest-I don't get what you are saying, and its basis in reality.

YOU claim to want to understan d why Martin is "selfless" I tell you that all I goi by is what coaches and players say. Again, you seem to know better than them.

And thsi stuff about make believe contracts and give backs. Show me 10 players that have given back on their contract. Since it is so "common place", name m,e 10 paleysr that should be easy

Scott,

Please let me be clear. I think that generally the NFL screws over most of the players. They have significantly shorter life expectancies and a significantly higher incidence of debilitating physical conditions later in life when compared to athletes from other sports let alone comparing them to people in the general population. I think that NFL players should get as much as they can possibly get and not give back a penny of it. Props to Curtis and his representation for being smart in this regard. If you find yourself as a player or agent negotiating against a weak front office... oh well, tough on them then :) But please be aware that Curetis has been extremely well rewarded when compared to almost any other running back in history.

I don't even blame Curtis for being greedy when it comes to carries. This is a sport that spits out its veterans after someone younger and cheaper can be found to do the job. All players who are feature running backs are jealous of their touches and are greedy by their nature. I have no problem with any of that.

What I have a problem with is when people try to spoon feed me this crap about how Curtis is the "team-first" player when the is nothing in the observable universe which tends to back up that view.

Whereas I don't blame Curtis for wanting as much money as he can get and as many carries as the NFL will allow, I do blame our dopey front office for signing those contracts in the first place. The NFL is a hard salary cap league and monies used to pay Paul is necessarily robbed from someone else to do that. So if you overpay by a lot for one player then there are consequnces to this. You may not get the Free Agent you were looking for or you may not be able to retain some of your own.

I do blame our coaching staff for leaving the decision up to Curtis as to whether or not he could play when they knew for a fact that there were times when he could not physically do that.

I do blame those people for attaching importance to a streak of 1000-yard seasons becuase that is an indiuvidual achievement and not related to the Jets as a team. We wasted a sh1tload of time last year chasing another 1000-yard season for Curtis when we could have and should have been getting a long look at Houston.

Curtis is a gentleman and he conducts himself in a dignified and classy way. None of that implies that he is in any way selfless when it comes to raising the teams interests over his own. As somebody else put it earlier in this thread. Can we please stop with this Mother Theresa stuff?

Scott,

Please let me be clear. I think that generally the NFL screws over most of the players. They have significantly shorter life expectancies and a significantly higher incidence of debilitating physical conditions later in life when compared to athletes from other sports let alone comparing them to people in the general population. I think that NFL players should get as much as they can possibly get and not give back a penny of it. Props to Curtis and his representation for being smart in this regard. If you find yourself as a player or agent negotiating against a weak front office... oh well, tough on them then :) But please be aware that Curetis has been extremely well rewarded when compared to almost any other running back in history.

I don't even blame Curtis for being greedy when it comes to carries. This is a sport that spits out its veterans after someone younger and cheaper can be found to do the job. All players who are feature running backs are jealous of their touches and are greedy by their nature. I have no problem with any of that.

What I have a problem with is when people try to spoon feed me this crap about how Curtis is the "team-first" player when the is nothing in the observable universe which tends to back up that view.

Whereas I don't blame Curtis for wanting as much money as he can get and as many carries as the NFL will allow, I do blame our dopey front office for signing those contracts in the first place. The NFL is a hard salary cap league and monies used to pay Paul is necessarily robbed from someone else to do that. So if you overpay by a lot for one player then there are consequnces to this. You may not get the Free Agent you were looking for or you may not be able to retain some of your own.

I do blame our coaching staff for leaving the decision up to Curtis as to whether or not he could play when they knew for a fact that there were times when he could not physically do that.

I do blame those people for attaching importance to a streak of 1000-yard seasons becuase that is an indiuvidual achievement and not related to the Jets as a team. We wasted a sh1tload of time last year chasing another 1000-yard season for Curtis when we could have and should have been getting a long look at Houston.

Curtis is a gentleman and he conducts himself in a dignified and classy way. None of that implies that he is in any way selfless when it comes to raising the teams interests over his own. As somebody else put it earlier in this thread. Can we please stop with this Mother Theresa stuff?

Curtis gets the good guy rap for what he does off the field. Many people donate to charity. Curtis is simply a step above the rest in that regard.

As far as him being a team first player I will offer this:

-No Jet worked harder to get himself ready every off season

-No Jet played through pain the way Curtis did consistently.

Now Curtis gets blasted for the 2nd one. He should have stepped down. Told the coaches he can't play. He shouldn't have worried about the streak and sat out.

Let me ask you this? What kind of player says I can't go this week coach? John Abraham did that exact thing and we had a witch hunt looking for him on the L.I.E. Don't put fault on Curtis for Herm's stupidity.

The coach decides who plays. If Curtis at 70% isn't as good as Lamont at 100% the coach has to make that call. Not the player.

Scott,

For probably the FOURTH time this thread, I am only regurgitating what PLAYERS and COACHES and BILL PARCELLS said about CURTIS MARTIN the PLAYER.

NOTHING else.

If you know more than them, so be it.

Archived